Do you think the unlimited dining package is worth it?

For some people it could be more worthwhile because they live in an area that is lacking in a variety of good restaurants.  If I'm going to pay for a restaurant I can do better at home.  We're not big eaters so the specialty restaurants are just too much food for us.  We enjoy being able try several different offerings in the MDR without waste because the portions are small.  I like to "graze" but I don't like to eat a lot at once.  I also don't eat seafood, so I think that makes the specialties less valuable to me.  There is just so much food on cruise ships that I'm just not motivated to buy more of what I already have too much of. 

Edited by Travelling2Some

With a first time cruiser I would do a 3 or 5 night package. That lets them sample the MDR as well as the specialty restaurants... 

Then next cruise you have a better idea what he prefers 

3 hours ago, CruiseesiurC said:

Thank you all! I think I’m in agreement with most of you that it is best to wait until we have a few more RCI cruises in and are over the MDR. I think right now we will both be happy just being on a ship so the food options won’t matter much. 

+1. We all managed for years just with a MDR that was what cruising was all about meeting new people at large tables 😇

On 8/18/2021 at 8:22 AM, ryano said:

Im getting it for the first time because I have OBC from a price drop.  Im really excited about it.  Especially trying Wonderland.    The low carb keto diet is out the window for the week lol.     Lunch at Chops on boarding day sounds much better than the madness that is the Windjammer and trying to find a seat. 

If you have unlimited dining you can eat at chops on embarkation?  I thought that was for the key.

47 minutes ago, Verafnp said:

If you have unlimited dining you can eat at chops on embarkation?  I thought that was for the key.

Lunch from chops  in the dining room for the key, check a day 1 cruise compass on your ship to see if chops is open for lunch day 1. 

2 hours ago, Verafnp said:

It also depends on the ship... This week on Symphony, not sure if it changes or not, Jamie's was open for lunch, not Chops. 

And as @jaygatsby27 said, the key's chops lunch is served in the MDR and from what I have heard /read it's a very limited menu 

We just got off the Allure, 08/15 - 08/22, and really enjoyed the UDP.  We tend to cook a lot while home, and use our vacations to take things up a notch or two.  Being able to use the UDP for lunch, and breakfast at Johnnie Rockets, was very welcome.  It is very easy to get 'too much' food along the way, but we didn't get an appetizer and dessert with every meal.  We also, learned to ask about portion sizes and ask for less.  The staff at Chops split a bowl of the mushroom soup for my son and I.  At our second dinner at 150 Central Park, extremely good by the way IMHO, our son asked for only two lobster tails, instead of three and they obliged.  

Food is very subjective and personal, but we found it enjoyable.  We are already planning our dining strategy for our upcoming Oasis of the Seas sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sailing on Oasis about a year from now (8/5/22) and trying to determine if the UDP is a fit.  Have two boys (18 and 21) and they love sushi for lunch and specialty for dinner so the UDP including lunch seems a plus over a 3 day package.  Just spoke to RCL and they said 'whatever' dining is open at lunch (on non sea days, would still honor the UDP)  It's a 9 day cruise, and currently at $214 p/p so wondering if that's a good price as well? 

25 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Sailing on Oasis about a year from now (8/5/22) and trying to determine if the UDP is a fit.  Have two boys (18 and 21) and they love sushi for lunch and specialty for dinner so the UDP including lunch seems a plus over a 3 day package.  Just spoke to RCL and they said 'whatever' dining is open at lunch (on non sea days, would still honor the UDP)  It's a 9 day cruise, and currently at $214 p/p so wondering if that's a good price as well? 

Make a spreadsheet of where and when you’d like to eat and total up the cost.

For our upcoming seven day cruise we break even after three days.  

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger

Lots of sea days and multiple speciality restaurants (eg oasis class) then yes…. Port intensive cruise and only limited choice of restaurants… no 

We are really excited to be on the 9/4 sailing of Symphony! I retired last month, and this is our splurge celebration, with a Crown Loft suite which gives us Coastal Kitchen for breakfast lunch and dinner. We also bought the UDP, which isn't cheap by any means but gives us a world of choice.

For people who ask if it is "worth it", I figure that based on our history of cruising, we love specialty restaurants, so for us being spoiled for choice sounds very appealing. 

Counting the days!

Barb

• Like 2

Not to sidetrack, but touching off Project-College -- I have kids who love sushi as well -- if you're on the UDP, and you visit Izumi, even though it's a la carte, shouldn't it be AYCE? I've heard they give you a $35 credit, but they wouldn't stop you from eating, leaving and returning, so wouldn't they allow you to get as much as you want in one seating? We're not piglets, I'm just a little confused on the specifics of the a la carte aspect.

3 minutes ago, grimaldi said:

Not to sidetrack, but touching off Project-College -- I have kids who love sushi as well -- if you're on the UDP, and you visit Izumi, even though it's a la carte, shouldn't it be AYCE? I've heard they give you a $35 credit, but they wouldn't stop you from eating, leaving and returning, so wouldn't they allow you to get as much as you want in one seating? We're not piglets, I'm just a little confused on the specifics of the a la carte aspect.

$35.00 is a lot of food.  

Could you eat $35.00 worth of food and then come back later for more?  I believe you can.

Could you eat $35.00 worth of food, leave, take a 15 minute walk around the ship and then come back for more?  I don’t know. 

All scenarios depend on availability,

Just now, MikeBayAreaCa said:

$35.00 is a lot of food.  

Could you eat $35.00 worth of food and then come back later for more?  I believe you can.

Could you eat $35.00 worth of food, leave, take a 15 minute walk around the ship and then come back for more?  I don’t know. 

All scenarios depend on availability,

$35 is a lot of food, except when it comes to sushi, and when you have teenage boys. Two rolls on that menu come near $30 and already you're done. Also, at the start of this thread somebody mentioned ordering more than $35 and getting charge extra. Not sure why that would be the case if you're on the UDP.

1 hour ago, grimaldi said:

$35 is a lot of food, except when it comes to sushi, and when you have teenage boys. Two rolls on that menu come near $30 and already you're done. Also, at the start of this thread somebody mentioned ordering more than $35 and getting charge extra. Not sure why that would be the case if you're on the UDP.

There are a few places, Izumi, Playmakers and Johnny Rockets where you get a credit since ordering is also carte.   This does not apply to Chops, Giovannis etc.

There are numerous you tube videos showing Izumi meals.  It’s an easy search.  It certainly looks like a lot of food to me.  

It’s a 35.00 credit per person for Izumi.  So four people can spend $140.00 for one meal.  If you spend $150.00 you pay the extra $10 plus 1.18 gratuity.

If those teenagers like to eat that much make a reservation for alone them at 5:00 and then for them and the rest of the family at 8. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

There are a few places, Izumi, Playmakers and Johnny Rockets where you get a credit since ordering is also carte.   This does not apply to Chops, Giovannis etc.

There are numerous you tube videos showing Izumi meals.  It’s an easy search.  It certainly looks like a lot of food to me.  

It’s a 35.00 credit per person for Izumi.  So four people can spend $140.00 for one meal.  If you spend $150.00 you pay the extra $10 plus 1.18 gratuity.

If those teenagers like to eat that much make a reservation for alone them at 5:00 and then for them and the rest of the family at 8. 

It is my understanding that Izumi/Teppanyaki is now included but with a $10 PP uncharge.  

1 hour ago, DeanD said:

It is my understanding that Izumi/Teppanyaki is now included but with a $10 PP uncharge.  

Here is the wording in my cruise planner -

For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $35 food credit, with the exception of Port Side BBQ and Playmakers which will be $20.*

For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $10 surcharge, which will be charged onboard.*

Holiday Celebration Dinners are not included with this package.*