Do you think the unlimited dining package is worth it?

3 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

If gratuity isn't included, then RCCL should not put INCLUDED on the receipt.  

Yes, I will add something - we always give a bit extra to the stewards, dining room, helpful folks on the activities deck...  but it really shouldn't be expected.

(the total paid vs total in receipt below is due to OBC)

image.thumb.png.ca7a84e3fedc49c3bbf8c14a05bc8d56.png

Yawn.  Ok.  Stick it to those servers!  As I said, I leave a modest gratuity.  I also never said it wasn't included.

Edited by BNBR

4 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

If gratuity isn't included, then RCCL should not put INCLUDED on the receipt.  

Yes, I will add something - we always give a bit extra to the stewards, dining room, helpful folks on the activities deck...  but it really shouldn't be expected.

(the total paid vs total in receipt below is due to OBC)

image.thumb.png.ca7a84e3fedc49c3bbf8c14a05bc8d56.png

Im jealous of that 168.00 price tag lol.  179.00 is the lowest Ive seen.   Mine was 196.00.  I likely wouldnt have done it if not for OBC.

On 8/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, ATG said:

Personally, it’s too much food.  We sailed Star class on oasis and I got tired of all the food.  Unfortunately, I think we all have a tendency to “eat up” to get our money’s worth.  By day 5 I was over it.  I think the 3 night package is just about right.  Others may not feel like that, but they may be better at skipping courses.

Regular STAR cruisers call it Food Coma

Did me in as well, but we were on 12 days

On 8/18/2021 at 1:23 PM, ampurp85 said:

I don't think so, maybe a 3 night package but ymmv. I find the specialty restaurants aren't that special. Also keep in mind if you are cruising soon , if you want it, get it asap. With no Windjammer open for dinner, lots of close-in sailings no longer have the UDP for sale.

I may be mistaken, but dowside to 3 day pkg is you can't get hibachi at Izumi.

2 hours ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

Yes it is.  We’ve always tipped extra when we did one specialty restaurant per cruise, but it could get very expensive if you tip extra with the UDP.

The question is how much.  I always pay at least 20%, but If I did that with the UDP the tips will end up costing more than the package.  

I did confirm with RCL's FAQ that it is included if done pre cruise and that 18% is added on if done on the cruise.  If I get exceptional service, I'll do a little extra but IMO, 20% would be over the top for this situation.    A coworker and I were discussing at lunch about tipping including cruises.  Personally I hate the system but since it's part of the process one would need to simply stay home to not tip reasonably on such a cruise.  

2 hours ago, ryano said:

Im jealous of that 168.00 price tag lol.  179.00 is the lowest Ive seen.   Mine was 196.00.  I likely wouldnt have done it if not for OBC.

My ship has less choices perhaps?  It was a hard decision at that price for us, we’re good with the MDR. 

2 hours ago, DeanD said:

I did confirm with RCL's FAQ that it is included if done pre cruise and that 18% is added on if done on the cruise.  If I get exceptional service, I'll do a little extra but IMO, 20% would be over the top for this situation.    A coworker and I were discussing at lunch about tipping including cruises.  Personally I hate the system but since it's part of the process one would need to simply stay home to not tip reasonably on such a cruise.  

The 18% goes into the ship tip pool. Anything left for the waiter is his or hers to keep.  We were told by a server at Jamies that they get about $2 and everything else goes into the ship pool.  Server also said some specialty restaurants have a pool where they all split the nights extra tips. 

YMMV, but I was on one of the first Adventure sailings out of Nassau, and it was difficult to get reservations at Chops though the app, and I don't really care for the Japanese or Italian restaurant menus or food quality.  So for the most part I ate in the MDR despite paying a lot of money for the Unlimited Dining plan. 

It can be a temporary situation based on available supply, but I also found the beef to be tough and of relatively low quality (somewhere between Dennys and Sizzler) at all the restaurants.  I think the cooks are talented and try hard, but the procurement people aren't doing them any favors.

I'm not a fan of big meals.  I consider meals part of the entertainment package.  So far, I've been quite satisfied with the MDR staff (host, waiter, asst, head waiter, sommelie... (ok wine guy), and the big shots with stripes on their sleeves, musicians, ....  I'll try a pay restaurant for the variety, but I couldn't justify it for just the food.  For a solo, no, the package just won't make my list.  

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:49 PM, colesc15 said:

We're considering the UDP for the first time on our Odyssey cruise next month. Trying to understand.. It's a 6 night cruise.. are we able to eat at Chops for more than 1 of the nights? I'm assuming if we ate at say, Giovanni's one night, and later that night were hungry for some wings at Playmakers, since we already ate at Giovannis that night under the package, we'd have to pay the entire bill at Playmakers? I appreciate someone answering 🙂

I'm sure others have answered, but there's two questions you asked and I'll answer both, just in case:

1) On Adventure of the Seas my family booked our 7 nights of dinners at:  Giovanni's, Chops, Chops, Giovanni's, Chops, MDR (Lobster Night), and Chops, in that order.  If you have the UDP then once you are on-board I very, very highly suggest you immediately go to a specialty restaurant (even before going to your stateroom, depending on when you board) and plan out some kind of meal schedule at the specialty restaurants.  We also booked two lunches on the two sea days (one at Chops, one at Giovanni's.)

2) You can eat at any restaurant that is open, presumably any number of times in an evening.  On Adventure of the Seas in June/July I had dinner at Chops one evening with my family, then an hour later went down to Izumi Sushi and ordered an appetizer to go so I could enjoy it on my balcony.  I'll be on the Harmony of the Seas and one of the things I plan on doing is having dinner with my family using UDP, then I want to go to Wonderland specifically for dessert only since I've heard pretty good things about their dessert menu.  If you truly want a second meal (i.e. go to Chops in the early evening, then get something to-go or dine a second time in an evening) you shouldn't have any trouble doing this.

2 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

Is Johnny Rockets included under the Unlimited Dining Plan?

That is my understanding.  Everything but drinks and shakes of course.  Hoping someone can confirm 

Edited by ryano

5 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

Is Johnny Rockets included under the Unlimited Dining Plan?

2 hours ago, ryano said:

That is my understanding.  Everything but drinks and shakes of course.  Hoping someone can confirm 

Yes, Johnny Rockets is included, except for drinks and shakes.  Other than some apps at Vintages, the package really does include just about everything.  It's not meant to be restrictive.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We’ve purchased the UDP only once when it was on offer although we enjoyed the experience we really found it to be to much food plus we do enjoy the MDR.

We now usually book the three night dining package but again only on Oasis class ships.

I'm not understanding why people keep saying it's "too much food."  Are you ordering 12 entrees at  a specialty with the UDP?  Lol.  I don't get it.  It's an app and entree just like the MDR.  The food isn't any bigger.

9 hours ago, TytalusWarden said:

I'm sure others have answered, but there's two questions you asked and I'll answer both, just in case:

1) On Adventure of the Seas my family booked our 7 nights of dinners at:  Giovanni's, Chops, Chops, Giovanni's, Chops, MDR (Lobster Night), and Chops, in that order.  If you have the UDP then once you are on-board I very, very highly suggest you immediately go to a specialty restaurant (even before going to your stateroom, depending on when you board) and plan out some kind of meal schedule at the specialty restaurants.  We also booked two lunches on the two sea days (one at Chops, one at Giovanni's.)

2) You can eat at any restaurant that is open, presumably any number of times in an evening.  On Adventure of the Seas in June/July I had dinner at Chops one evening with my family, then an hour later went down to Izumi Sushi and ordered an appetizer to go so I could enjoy it on my balcony.  I'll be on the Harmony of the Seas and one of the things I plan on doing is having dinner with my family using UDP, then I want to go to Wonderland specifically for dessert only since I've heard pretty good things about their dessert menu.  If you truly want a second meal (i.e. go to Chops in the early evening, then get something to-go or dine a second time in an evening) you shouldn't have any trouble doing this.

Note that it's based on availability.  They can be a little more picky about people just showing up at a place like Wonderland for dessert and there may be no availability to do so.  You can try though.  And with the lower passenger numbers, it may be fine.

We had tried to swing by Hooked and grab lunch and they looked at us like we were crazy, no reservation?  We have no tables, sorry.

Edited by BNBR

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

Yes, Johnny Rockets is included, except for drinks and shakes.  Other than some apps at Vintages, the package really does include just about everything.  It's not meant to be restrictive.

Hmm, I wonder if that changed.  On Symphony right before shut down, I got the shakes from Johnny's included.

20 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I may be mistaken, but dowside to 3 day pkg is you can't get hibachi at Izumi.

That I did not know.  I went ahead and got the UDP to spoil my Dad on the cruise in December.  Izumi is one of my favorites.  Almost got the 3-day.

30 minutes ago, jk04 said:

Hmm, I wonder if that changed.  On Symphony right before shut down, I got the shakes from Johnny's included.

That I did not know.  I went ahead and got the UDP to spoil my Dad on the cruise in December.  Izumi is one of my favorites.  Almost got the 3-day.

Even better!

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

I'm not understanding why people keep saying it's "too much food."  Are you ordering 12 entrees at  a specialty with the UDP?  Lol.  I don't get it.  It's an app and entree just like the MDR.  The food isn't any bigger.

Actually, the food is bigger.  In Chops the steak is bigger and the sides are served family style and more than the MDR serving size.  You can order several appetizers and salad, steak and dessert.  The meal is definitely bigger than the MDR.  At Giovanni’s you can get both a pasta course and a main course, plus the appetizers and dessert.  I love that in the MDR I can try several courses and not be suffering from food coma.

1 hour ago, ATG said:

Actually, the food is bigger.  In Chops the steak is bigger and the sides are served family style and more than the MDR serving size.  You can order several appetizers and salad, steak and dessert.  The meal is definitely bigger than the MDR.  At Giovanni’s you can get both a pasta course and a main course, plus the appetizers and dessert.  I love that in the MDR I can try several courses and not be suffering from food coma.

Does the waiter sit next to you at Chops and force feed you until your plate is empty?