Do you think the unlimited dining package is worth it?

Hello! I’ve cruised a few times (NCL once, carnival 4x, and RCI once) but my husband is brand new to cruising. He has actually never even travelled internationally before. I’m debating on getting the unlimited dining package. 

We are cruising Anthem on a 9 night cruise (3 port days) and the package is $252 each. I know no one can tell for sure if it is “worth it or not” but would you recommend it? I’ve only been on grandeur before and I liked the MDR and chops. Since it is my husbands first cruise I’m thinking maybe wait until future cruises when he is sick of MDR meals? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you. 

Personally, it’s too much food.  We sailed Star class on oasis and I got tired of all the food.  Unfortunately, I think we all have a tendency to “eat up” to get our money’s worth.  By day 5 I was over it.  I think the 3 night package is just about right.  Others may not feel like that, but they may be better at skipping courses.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Im getting it for the first time because I have OBC from a price drop.  Im really excited about it.  Especially trying Wonderland.    The low carb keto diet is out the window for the week lol.     Lunch at Chops on boarding day sounds much better than the madness that is the Windjammer and trying to find a seat. 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

So far I haven't been on an RCL cruise where I didn't have it.  I've only eaten in the MDR one evening, and that was because there was lobster tails.  😄 

Next year it looks like I'll have a 7-night Alaska cruise where I won't have it, so I suppose in a year I can come back and give my opinion.  😄 

For me? Heck no. But I’m cheap. I do agree with the general principle of starting with just the free stuff - then move to paid venues if the free stuff isn’t good enough for you. If you start with the paid venues, it could be hard to switch to the free grub. 

• Like 4

We booked it for the first time for our Oct cruise and our Alaska cruise next year. We’re over the MDR and it was apparent on Adventure in June. While the service was amazing, the food was “eh”. We always book a speciality or have booked a 3 night in the past have always been happy. I like the option of having a quiet place for lunch and dinner. 

I don't think so, maybe a 3 night package but ymmv. I find the specialty restaurants aren't that special. Also keep in mind if you are cruising soon , if you want it, get it asap. With no Windjammer open for dinner, lots of close-in sailings no longer have the UDP for sale.

We had it booked for our last cruise which was cancelled by the big C19, and whenever we get to our next cruise, we'll definitely do it. 

No problem with the food in the MDR, or for that matter, the Windjammer, but for us, the more we cruise, the less patience we have with the MDR experience. It takes so long, and we are more interested in doing other things, but the specialty restaurants are, for us, a really enjoyable time. 

It's all about what you enjoy. 

Depends, we are D+ and get a BOGO specialty restaurant  each on a 7 day. So we usually will do the two BOGO and later in the week we’ll hit another specialty restaurant, usually Sabor if on a ship that has it.  Will be doing a T/A 14 night on the Allure and due to the number of dining options we will probably do the UDP. 

I like your idea of not doing it as newer cruisers.  I generally recomend against it for newer cruisers for whom everything, including the MDR is still a novelty.

We usually get it about 25% of our cruises....mostly if we are on a Quantum or Oasis class ship...something with lots of options we will especially enjoy.  

And it is only too much food if you let it be.  I drive waitstaff a little crazy getting just a salad and then some sides at Chops, or sharing an entree with my husband at Jamie's etc.  I look at it at spending the money to be able to eat whatever I want...not to have to eat more than I want to in order to feel like I got my money's worth.  If I couldn't adjust my thinking to that (and I would not have been able to in my yougner days), then I personally would not enjoy having the package.

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 6

Thank you all! I think I’m in agreement with most of you that it is best to wait until we have a few more RCI cruises in and are over the MDR. I think right now we will both be happy just being on a ship so the food options won’t matter much. 

• Like 2

I like the conversations with our table mates in the MDR. Highlight of the day for me. Plus the interaction with the wait staff that gets to know you. You lose that when paying extra to eat somewhere else besides MDR. This is from someone who gave up on NCL almost 20 years ago when they got rid of assigned MDR dining. Your mileage may vary…

• Like 3

For us - the reduced pax counts on remaining 2021 cruises and no dining with anyone outside of your booking sealed the decision to NOT do it.

MDR service is reportedly better with less tables to wait on and being able to dine by ourselves for dinner is a positive. 

Did it last time - and found reservations hard to get for Chops at preferred time. Lunch there is nice - but honestly do it a couple of times on your own and save the money.

Depending on your boarding time slot - you may not be able to do it embarkation day, lunch is just as good as dinner to us and a couple of lunches in a week was enough to get our fix - at $20 or so for lunch - it’s much more cost friendly. The Italian is a good option for lunch a day too.

Chops for dinner tonight s simply ALOT of food - works ok when you have a group of 8 and can share - but for 2 not so much.  Another complaint I’ve seen is slow service - remember Chops only seats like 50 - and if there is a large table present, it tends to monopolize the servers attention. 

We liked Izumi - but not enough to do it more than once - for us 1x Izumi, and a couple of lunches at Chops and the Italian venue was enough “specialty” - cost under $100 for the week vs $200 for the specialty.

UDP is a good value until you decide to skip specialty a night - skip it 2 and it’s not as great of a deal. For us you know on a formal night MDR will do lobster tail and another night will be prime rib - that’s good enough. I don’t need 7 nights in a row of more food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CruiseesiurC said:

Thank you all! I think I’m in agreement with most of you that it is best to wait until we have a few more RCI cruises in and are over the MDR. I think right now we will both be happy just being on a ship so the food options won’t matter much. 

I'd get the experience then do specialty dining on future cruise.  

It's fun to try once if you can catch a good sale.  It's so much food and I'm generally okay with the included options so it's not something I do very often.

On Odyssey the regular rate for UDP lately has been $32 per day.  It's on sale now $29 on my cruise.  That's still too high for me to consider but to each their own.    

5 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I like your thinking of not doing it as newer cruisers.  I generally recomend against it for newer cruisers for whom everything, including the MDR is still a novelty.

We usually get it about 25% of our cruises....mostly of we are on a Quantum or Oasis class ship...somethign with lots of options we will especially enjoy.  

And it is only too much food if you let it be.  I drive waitstaff a little crazy getting just a sald and then some sides at Chops, or sharing an entree with my husband at Jamie's etc.  I look at it at spending the money to be able to eat whatever I want...not to have to eat more htan I want to feel like I got my money's worth.  If I couldn't adjust my thinking to that (and I would not have been able to in my yougner days), then I personally would not enjoy having the 

We were able to get the dining package for a seven day cruise for $168.00 each on the Navigator.  That includes gratuities. 

At that price, and with three sea days it more than pays for itself even if we can’t use it on embarkation day.  

With Chops, Jamie’s, Hooked, Izumi, Playmakers, and Johnny Rockets we’ll have a lot of variety and can try different things.

• Like 2

I find it worth the cost especially when you add sea day lunches in. 

Frankly, we've had enough of the MDR on most ships. We used to swear that we never would bother with specialty dining, but no longer. The food quality in the MDR is not what it was, and the service is spread far too thinly. Since we always do My Time, we don't really get the fun of a service team that we get to know. 

But, that's us. When we've done the unlimited, we actually have gotten to know the folks, and that's been fun. Of course, the food and service is better. 

However, you need to be flexible. Unless you enjoy dining fairly early or fairly late, you likely will need to make some adjustments.

21 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Frankly, we've had enough of the MDR on most ships. We used to swear that we never would bother with specialty dining, but no longer.

This is a perfect description of our feelings.   Yes, it can be a lot of food but having options is the key.  It's so nice to be able to do what you want to do and not be "stuck" with whatever the MDR throws at you.  One truly miserable Thanksgiving meal on NAV sealed the deal for us.  We haven't been inside a MDR since.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

It's fun to try once if you can catch a good sale.  It's so much food and I'm generally okay with the included options so it's not something I do very often.

On Odyssey the regular rate for UDP lately has been $32 per day.  It's on sale now $29 on my cruise.  That's still too high for me to consider but to each their own.    

Do you know the price for 3 days on Odyssey? Thank you 

5 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Do you know the price for 3 days on Odyssey? Thank you 

Not sure I understand the question.  3 night dining package?  For Sept. 5 it's $109 but that may be a sale price since one started yesterday.