Mardi Gras - Aug. 21 - 28, 2021, 7 Nights - Western Caribbean Live

twangster

Day Three - Cozumel

Since boarding I've been finding my way around the ship and making notes of areas to photograph.  I often find that by getting up early the ship appears empty so that was my plan today.  I set a camera on my balcony in timp lapse mode and went off to take some pictures.

This should give you an idea of the decor in the elevator lobbies and staircases.

mg-8-21-21-212.jpg

The elevators aren't very big but I feel like there are more of them.

mg-8-21-21-213.jpg

Down to deck 6.

mg-8-21-21-216.jpg

mg-8-21-21-215.jpg

The difference is pretty striking.

mg-8-21-21-214.jpg

The Piano Bar

mg-8-21-21-217.jpg

mg-8-21-21-218.jpg

mg-8-21-21-219.jpg

mg-8-21-21-220.jpg

mg-8-21-21-221.jpg

mg-8-21-21-222.jpg

mg-8-21-21-223.jpg

mg-8-21-21-224.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3

Continuing on to Grand Central.

mg-8-21-21-226.jpg

mg-8-21-21-227.jpg

mg-8-21-21-229.jpg

Javablue is a full service coffee venue but also serves as a beverage station for complimentary coffee and water. 

mg-8-21-21-230.jpg

mg-8-21-21-228.jpg

This is also the lowest level of Center Stage.  More on that later.

mg-8-21-21-231.jpg

mg-8-21-21-232.jpg

mg-8-21-21-233.jpg

ATM and bill changing machine.

mg-8-21-21-234.jpg

Javablue menu

Javablue.pdf

• Like 4

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Day Three - Cozumel

Since boarding I've been finding my way around the ship and making notes of areas to photograph.  I often find that by getting up early the ship appears empty so that was my plan today.  I set a camera on my balcony in timp lapse mode and went off to take some pictures.

This should give you an idea of the decor in the elevator lobbies and staircases.

mg-8-21-21-212.jpg

The elevators aren't very big but I feel like there are more of them.

mg-8-21-21-213.jpg

Down to deck 6.

mg-8-21-21-216.jpg

mg-8-21-21-215.jpg

The difference is pretty striking.

mg-8-21-21-214.jpg

The Piano Bar

mg-8-21-21-217.jpg

mg-8-21-21-218.jpg

mg-8-21-21-219.jpg

mg-8-21-21-220.jpg

mg-8-21-21-221.jpg

mg-8-21-21-222.jpg

mg-8-21-21-223.jpg

mg-8-21-21-224.jpg

Are you using a wide angle lens and are you taking long exposures? Back in the day I used to shoot with a Pentax 35mm and actually understood speeds and apertures and so forth but since the film era ended I don’t have any decent equipment anymore and just use my iPhone. Never bought a quality digital camera and don’t really know how to use one. 

You’re obviously talented with great composition and I have to assume you are using equipment to match.

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Are you using a wide angle lens and are you taking long exposures? Back in the day I used to shoot with a Pentax 35mm and actually understood speeds and apertures and so forth but since the film era ended I don’t have any decent equipment anymore and just use my iPhone. Never bought a quality digital camera and don’t really know how to use one. 

You’re obviously talented with great composition and I have to assume you are using equipment to match.

Old film junkie myself.  The same principles apply except now with digital I can fix many of my mistakes in software.

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:21 AM, sc4125 said:

I am hoping that in the first time slot they will be checking before letting people in.  'Although I do like getting onboard early, it is actually because I think I'm getting a little claustrophobic as I get older and I hate being in the middle of a large crowd. 

I have considered being in the last group allowed onboard but I'm a worry wart and am afraid I'd be caught in traffic on I-4, which is notorious for accidents, before I reach the toll road. You're lucky you live so close to the port.

I think I'll plan on getting to the port at 10:00, which is 30 minutes before I am scheduled, and hope that the line is manageable.

BTW I'm really enjoying your pictures and commentary.  Thanks for taking the time.

HI- I was on the 8/7 sailing and had the 1030 check in as well. I arrived at 1030 and I was on the ship at 11am. We also sat for about 10 minutes. I think you should be fine. Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, emm126 said:

HI- I was on the 8/7 sailing and had the 1030 check in as well. I arrived at 1030 and I was on the ship at 11am. We also sat for about 10 minutes. I think you should be fine. Have a great cruise!

Thank you for the info and the good wishes.  So ready to get back to sailing and can't wait to board this beautiful ship.  I actually worked on the old Mardi Gras as a gift shop manager - my how things have changed!!

• Like 2

On 8/21/2021 at 11:37 PM, twangster said:

After dropping off luggage It was over to the queue for the terminal check in.

First step was up the escalator.  It doesn't look so bad.

mg-8-21-21-1.jpg

From here we walked left and down the ramp.  Wait, what?  We went up to walk down?  Yep.

Have you ever seen one of those photos where the stairs are endless but seemingly end where they start?  

After walking down the ramp on the right, turning the corner and walking down the ramp on the left then doing a u-turn and walking back up the same ramp, turning the corner and walking back up the ramp I just walked down I was well on my way back to the level ground where the escalator brought us 30 minutes earlier but still 15 minutes from that point.

Wait.  Where did all these people come from?  It was seemingly empty when we went up the escalator.

mg-8-21-21-6.jpg

From the comments I've heard we are about 50-60% capacity on this sailing.  I am not sure how this will work at 100% capacity.

The good news is once you reach the entrance to the terminal there are signs based on if you are vaccinated and within your appointment window or "other".  The weird news is that at this point staff were directing people into any queue.  Signs didn't matter.  If one queue was getting full go in another queue.

The great news is the terminal has air conditioning!  PHEW.  

mg-8-21-21-2.jpg

After a while inching along inside the terminal I was able to look outside and see even more people in the maze outside.

mg-8-21-21-3.jpg

Looking around me at this point people had check in appointments an hour before me and an hour after me.  I was within my 30 minute window.  Whatever.  Get in line.  How you doin'?

Eventually you will divide into one of three zig-zag queues.  Some are longer than others but some have more check in people than others.  Some lines appear to move faster and everyone was now second guessing their choice of queue.  Honestly I don't think it really mattered.  It's like a grocery store and picking the wrong check out lane.  

mg-8-21-21-4.jpg

Finally I made it to a check in agent who looked at my paperwork and passed me onto another check in agent who took my photo.  Success!  

Next up security.  You know the drill.  

After security the ship was already boarding so onward and away I went.

It seemed a little confusing and chaotic but only took 45 minutes from stepping out of the car to reaching the point where I was going up the ramp and almost on the ship where I took this picture.

It felt a lot longer but the timestamps on my photos don't allow me to lie.

mg-8-21-21-5.jpg

We were on Mardi Gras 8/14 and it took 45 minutes to an hour for us to go through the whole process and get on the ship. However, it felt very chaotic in the terminal.  There really weren’t clear directions on where to go. Your boarding time means absolutely nothing until they start calling the zones.  They called the zones very quickly.  Really one right after the other.

On 8/22/2021 at 1:05 PM, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Watch those camouflaged steps in the theater @twangster

Definitely watch those steps! I fell in the Limelight and I knew from these boards to watch them.  We saw several people fall throughout the week!

53 minutes ago, pc2425 said:

Definitely watch those steps! I fell in the Limelight and I knew from these boards to watch them.  We saw several people fall throughout the week!

What?? Even with the warning?? I’m sorry to hear that!! 

Here it is again, the “Limelight Ledge.” Beware!

Sorry to sully your thread with a crappy iPhone pic, @twangster. Can you please get a better photo of this treacherous so-called stair but actual weapon of doom?

24149FC7-9D31-455E-8112-D5619DE2650F.thumb.jpeg.7cad9cc6e90dd37cd141b479ecb808a5.jpeg

Edited by KmomChicago

@twangster your photos are spectacular........what time did you get up to be able to take all those photos with no people in them!

Carnival needs to hire you as a promotional person!

So enjoying your review thanks for taking the time to share it with all of us!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, emm126 said:

Anyone know what time the check-in selection goes live? For instance, if check in is available Nov 4th, is it at the stroke of 12am on the 4th? 

13 minutes ago, mrak said:

Anyone know what time the check-in selection goes live? For instance, if check in is available Nov 4th, is it at the stroke of 12am on the 4th? 

Supposedly -Yes!  However, people arrive earlier and wait and if not busy get let in, which may make you wait if you're not in the right line before Noon.  But unless you have faster to the fun or diamond platinum status you're not getting into your cabin before 1:30P.  

29 minutes ago, mrak said:

Yes, it is exactly at midnight. I did it this weekend for our Sept 4 Mardi Gras sailing.  We got the earliest time slot by being online right when they dropped.  I'd suggest skipping ahead in the check-in process to secure your time then go back and do the rest.