Silverseas May to Bay of Bengal

Docklang

Hi all. I am booked on this 16 day adventure cruise on the Explorer. I have been almost everywhere and this seemed very different and it includes chance to see Orangatangs. My two question:  1:  anyone worried about the Myanmar islands due to civil war. Also May is start of monsoon season. 2:  we don’t go to beach but that oil tanker and plastic pollution a problem?

I know this is a smaller older ship but I’ve been on it before (broke my fibula in Patagonia) and it was fine. Lots of beach and snorkeling adventures. 

Please let me know if you’re going. I’m solo. 

kim

Welcome to posting on Cruise Critic.  I have asked the mods to move your thread to the forum here for Silverseas, as this board is for questions from those having difficulties using the forums.  You should also check to see if there is a roll call for this cruise.  The roll calls are where you can connect with other CC members sailing with you and see what they are planning.  EM

• Like 1

A number of years ago in Myanmar, the plastic pollution was pretty awful, but we did not visit beaches. In fact there were zones marked off on the tourist routes with signs prohibiting plastics littering which offered a huge visual contrast to the other unrestricted areas.

The waters heading into Yangon were very dark and muddy, due to heavy silted river run off.  The older ship we were on for that cruise used sea water in its plumbing waste systems as we were coming into this country. Picture the shock of what that must have looked like. They warned us up front - however tap water for drinking from the sink remained clear. So I am not sure what any beach activity would be like in this area, plastics or not.  

Hope things have improved since then (about  7-10 years ago?),  because this was a terrific country to visit particularly the main shrine in Yangon - in the evening, the sights sounds and devotionals still ring in our memories.  And don't miss the opportunity to visit the area of the Bagan pagodas.

My experience with other cruise lines if there is any threat to personal safety due to internal issues, they simply will not go. So assume until you hear otherwise, your trip will be good to go. Have been in many countries where there is ongoing civil unrest, but it is often confined only to certain areas and the tours know avoid them completely.

Always felt our prior cruise lines placed a high premium on passenger safety, both onboard and off. Seems unlikely SS would be any different.  

Edited by OlsSalt

Am booked on this Explorer voyage also for a chance to view Orangatangs.  However, as I realized Myanmar was a big part of this itinerary, will try to change another expedition voyage about this time. 

I was on the Shadow in Myanmar for three days (two  days too many for me as a guest, a very tough port for the crew--they can't get off the ship and have a hard time keeping in touch with family due to the paucity of wifi for them at this port) back in March 2018.  

Agree, the port for Yangon (Rangoon) is industrial and pretty primitive since it is also well out of town - though of some interest for the sheer opportunity to see what is getting shipped out and to where. When we were there, during  the US-Myanmar boycott, , timber in vast amounts was getting shipped to Singapore, with the explanation this would "sanitize" it for introduction back into the global market stream - no longer "from" Myanmar. 

Being at this Burma port for a three day stop does allow passengers to go into the city of Yangon (Rangoon) for an overnight hotel and city tour (the wondrous main shrine at night), and then a flight the next day out to the vast Bagan Temple complex and an Irawaddy River resort stop on "The Road to Mandalay".  Plus time to return for more Rangoon city touring, before returning to the ship.  Where they were still loading on the timber - log by log.

Three days just stuck in this outlying Burma port would be grim.  But as a launch pad for an extended visit to the highlights in the rest of the country, it couldn't be better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

This cruise does not go into Yangon, but rather stays along the islands.  I have scuba dived this area many years ago and it was a great place.I have not gotten  any information from my cruise agent about cancelling so I am hopeful.  I do not cruse for the luxury but the itinerary.  I recently camped with a pit latrine and bucket shower in Botswana so you can see I don't require much.

I am still looking for anyone going on this cruise as I am solo and always looking for someone talk to.  I personally don't like the idea of a "gentleman host" as it is so stuffy.  I can certainly hang out with couples or groups.  Please let me know!!

On 8/21/2021 at 1:52 PM, Docklang said:

Hi all. I am booked on this 16 day adventure cruise on the Explorer. I have been almost everywhere and this seemed very different and it includes chance to see Orangatangs. My two question:  1:  anyone worried about the Myanmar islands due to civil war. Also May is start of monsoon season. 2:  we don’t go to beach but that oil tanker and plastic pollution a problem?

I know this is a smaller older ship but I’ve been on it before (broke my fibula in Patagonia) and it was fine. Lots of beach and snorkeling adventures. 

Please let me know if you’re going. I’m solo. 

kim

We are also booked on this trip. I believe the civil war issues are on the mainland. Not sure about the pollution you mention, but believe these issues are closer to the mainland as well.  We are  booked on three expeditions in 2022.  I am more concerned  for this expedition actually going, but hopefully I'm wrong. The four countries we are visiting are now open, or due to open soon. But as we know, that can change in an instant. I also question what Explorer will actually do next spring. She heads to Australia after Singapore....will that be open by then? So many variables. Ah, the joys of travel in the Covid age.  Fingers crossed we will all be clinking glasses in the Bay of Bengal.

I am also considering this cruise as the 0 single supplement is attractive and the Itinerary is interesting.

I do not expect the Burma military rule to affect the ships progress.

As the Omicron Jury is still out it is difficult to form a view about the integrity of the preceding Africa cruises which might create a domino effect  on  a whole series of linked Itineraries.

On present trends the ship should be able to undertake it's Kimberley season HOWEVER the local government in Western Australia ( and indeed many other regional fiefdoms) is suffering a bout of populist jingo-ism and may act unilaterally at short notice. The feds have a clear policy to open up and face the infection storm but the rapidly increasing numbers Internationally may force a change.

I have grave concerns for the security of International travel as the prospect of being locked up anywhere waiting for a clear PCR test is daunting.
Vaccination appears to now be a serious infection hazard reduction process rather than the "advertised"  infection prophylactic

I will watch and wait and jump in at the last minute if the tea leaves seem auspicious.

Thanks for your imput, well said @tgh. We don't have anything booked to Australia until 2023. I completely agree with the last minute jump on. But we are in a need to use our FCC's situation. The other issue, is many desirable expedition trips get heavily booked in our prefered suite so we booked early. So we're  rolling the dice and crossing our fingers on this one. Work your magic on those tea leaves. 

As a side note, one of the things we consider is how we feel about being in quarintine at any of the places we visit. We have Medjet just in case things go really south.

• 1 month later...

I recently decided to make contact with my TA ( Hello Stranger..) and ask for a quote for this Itinerary, which has been duly delivered.

In the process of consideration discovered that  there are blanket International DO NOT TRAVEL advisories for Myanmar that , In AU at least, precludes Travel Insurance.
It seems a safe enough trip generally with only a "check in to Myanmar " night for the ship in Kawthung ;  but without Insurance in these difficult times, it becomes a bridge too far methinks.

We are still hoping this trip is a go and cannot speak to your insurance hurdle.  Here is a bigger one.😉

According to this web site Sri Lanka is not allowing cruise ships in yet. 

https://lk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Things do seem to be opening all over the world but its anyone's guess.  

5 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We are still hoping this trip is a go and cannot speak to your insurance hurdle.  Here is a bigger one.😉

According to this web site Sri Lanka is not allowing cruise ships in yet. 

https://lk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Things do seem to be opening all over the world but its anyone's guess.  

Some places are opening up.... others battening down the hatches. Nigh the whole of the South American continent are either closed to cruises or with restrictions that include tours you cannot get of the bus.

55 minutes ago, les37b said:

Some places are opening up.... others battening down the hatches. Nigh the whole of the South American continent are either closed to cruises or with restrictions that include tours you cannot get of the bus.

Gee Les…. I wonder how you know about South America.   Just glad you're home safe.

Just poked in to the US Embassy site for Myanmar.  Looks even less inviting. 

https://mm.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Might have to get working on plan B.

SS expeditions of old would have already cooked up an alternate routing to avoid Myanmar as the ship has to get from Africa to Australia somehow ; the "new" ss may not be so agile perhaps.
I have asked my ta what SS plan to so and will update here if I get a useful answer

• Like 2

6 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Gee Les…. I wonder how you know about South America.   Just glad you're home safe.

Just poked in to the US Embassy site for Myanmar.  Looks even less inviting. 

https://mm.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Might have to get working on plan B.

I have friends on Silver Moon! 😁

Actually I got an update today. Only one port allowed them ashore. They are heading to Uruguay a day early. No covid on board (not a surprise given the quarantine cases are now disembarked and no mixing going on. I'm told the 3rd leg starts with 60 guests. Thats actually more than I thought it might be!

• Like 1

I am booked in this trip as as a solo.  First time on SS as a Crystal refugee.
Hopefully Myanmar will lose its level 4 rating over the next few months but even without travel insurance for this country I will be on the ship unless cancelled by SS.

• Like 1

I've been eyeing this one up because my June Seabourn trip on the new Venture to Svalbard has been cancelled.  If the Burmese islands are abandoned, maybe they will linger longer in the Andamans, maybe stray south to the Nicobars, or check out the Similans which belong to Thailand.  Either or all of these would be excellent alternatives I think.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

excellent alternatives

Indeed Fletcher , this part of the world is pregnant with adventure possibilities.

I had hoped my ta would chase up SS for some feedback but so far.. nuthin'
I will follow up...

On 2/11/2022 at 8:57 AM, Fletcher said:

I've been eyeing this one up because my June Seabourn trip on the new Venture to Svalbard has been cancelled.  If the Burmese islands are abandoned, maybe they will linger longer in the Andamans, maybe stray south to the Nicobars, or check out the Similans which belong to Thailand.  Either or all of these would be excellent alternatives I think.

You're giving me hope for this one! I know so little about the area.  Still a lot of bans need to flip. Bags will be ready and fingers crossed.  We are on the Venture Aug. 6 which I had given and 85% go....now not so much. When the sea trials begin I'll pack.  But like you I'm ready to slip something else in. Who knows where it will be, but that's the fun of it. What's open, and can we get there?  What else are you looking at?

4 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

You're giving me hope for this one! I know so little about the area.  Still a lot of bans need to flip. Bags will be ready and fingers crossed.  We are on the Venture Aug. 6 which I had given and 85% go....now not so much. When the sea trials begin I'll pack.  But like you I'm ready to slip something else in. Who knows where it will be, but that's the fun of it. What's open, and can we get there?  What else are you looking at?

I'm looking seriously at a 21 day Seabourn Sojourn in the Med in Sept-Oct, Barcelona return, with interesting stops in Melilla, Elba and a few others.  I think the Venture is lost to us for now. Such a pity as I had a London trip planned to watch its arrival in Greenwich in April and then Svalbard in June.  For me that ship is just slightly . . . tainted. 

16 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I'm looking seriously at a 21 day Seabourn Sojourn in the Med in Sept-Oct, Barcelona return, with interesting stops in Melilla, Elba and a few others.  I think the Venture is lost to us for now. Such a pity as I had a London trip planned to watch its arrival in Greenwich in April and then Svalbard in June.  For me that ship is just slightly . . . tainted. 

Sojourn trip looks rather interesting, have put it in my notes. Thanks for the tip.  We are on SS Wind end of October Puntareanas to Valparaiso so would be a tight fit. After reading the varied expedition choices we thought it looked fun. It will be interesting to so how Wind works as an expedition ship with size being between Quest and Cloud. As for the tainted Venture....when she finally gets all those dining room chairs stuck in a container of the coast of China perhaps you'll give her a second chance. I was surprised to see that there is still room on the August 6 sailing. Scoresby Sound, can't  wait.

18 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Sojourn trip looks rather interesting, have put it in my notes. Thanks for the tip.  We are on SS Wind end of October Puntareanas to Valparaiso so would be a tight fit. After reading the varied expedition choices we thought it looked fun. It will be interesting to so how Wind works as an expedition ship with size being between Quest and Cloud. As for the tainted Venture....when she finally gets all those dining room chairs stuck in a container of the coast of China perhaps you'll give her a second chance. I was surprised to see that there is still room on the August 6 sailing. Scoresby Sound, can't  wait.

We sailed the Chilean fjords on the Seabourn Quest, en route to the freezer, and greatly enjoyed the scenery and the town of Chiloe with its gaily painted houses on stilts. The prices for the Venture trips are eye-watering, even as the ship is mouth-watering, and I do wonder how Silversea might be forced to respond.  By comparison with the Venture and also the Seabourn Pursuit, which launches next year, the two Silversea ships are beginning to look rather old and lacking in modern facilities.   And when you add the latest ships from Hapag-Lloyd, Lindblad, Ponant and even Hurtigruten, the Silversea expedition offering is being left behind.   

6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

We sailed the Chilean fjords on the Seabourn Quest, en route to the freezer, and greatly enjoyed the scenery and the town of Chiloe with its gaily painted houses on stilts. The prices for the Venture trips are eye-watering, even as the ship is mouth-watering, and I do wonder how Silversea might be forced to respond.  By comparison with the Venture and also the Seabourn Pursuit, which launches next year, the two Silversea ships are beginning to look rather old and lacking in modern facilities.   And when you add the latest ships from Hapag-Lloyd, Lindblad, Ponant and even Hurtigruten, the Silversea expedition offering is being left behind.   

Ooops, should have mentioned that it's Puntareanas, Costa Rica as the jumping off point. Agreed on the Chilean fjords pre freezer appetizer. We also did it on the Quest. The SS Wind should be reasonanly fresh out out of the fluffer when we board. She was terribly tired when we last sailed her in 2014. We also have two trips booked on the Explorer. After that our FCC's should be used up barring more cancelations. With Silverseas crazy Door to Door pricing, Explorer gone and lack of newer ships in the expedition field I wonder how many others will begin to jump ship.  I am actively trying to find a Ponant cruise to slip in so  that we may get our feet wet on that line. I've  just done  price comparison of Venture to Silversea for a return to Antarctica.  I was surprised to find their prices similar and equally eye-watering. Time to to accept it and write the check..........Unless I find a cruise with more than 3 days in South Georgia!