MSC fly cruise mistake

marielco

1 minute ago, marielco said:

Sorry to hear that 🙁

Really gutted!    Ryanair flights were originally included in the package for the NCL cruise but we paid the extra for Aer Lingus.  The ship got in early enough for us to catch the AL morning flight home.  

There mustn’t be enough demand for that evening flight.   Goes to show how few Irish are cruising as that’s what usually fills that particular flight. 

The Ryanair flight leaves from Terminal 2b in Barcelona not Terminal 1 which Aer Lingus uses.  We intended to leave our baggage in the airport and spend the day in Barcelona.  That didn’t happen.  Left luggage closed in the terminals due to Covid and Ryanair said we could not check in our bags until 18.30. We spent the day in the terminal where everything was closed except a Burger King and coffee shop.  Once through security, after bag check, most shops and restaurants open. 

I didn’t realise AL went from terminal 2 also.  There are three buildings so that might account for us not seeing any AL going from 2b.  

We flew out Ryanair as well as back from Barcelona.

I don’t think there is a morning Ryanair flight from Barcelona to Dublin.  There is an AL flight Barcelona to Dublin around 11am. That AL flight you should be on.  We met another Irish passenger on the ship early that morning and she was rushing off the ship as booked on it. We did not understand why MSC had not booked us on it when the evening flight was cancelled and no idea why our  outward flight had to be changed when the AL one we were booked on had not been cancelled. 

I’d never risk aiming for that morning AL flight.  

Did you get the same luggage allowance on Ryanair?   What about bringing a bag onboard?   They’re so much stricter than AL and I don’t trust MSC for info - especially after your experience (which I referenced when the rep rang this morning).  

I had the same concern about luggage but they did book a 20kg check in bag for myself and for my husband. We were also allowed a single cabin bag but it had to fit under the seat.  

They sent me the Ryanair tickets so I was able to check for myself before flying. It was a Ryanair Plus booking. 

On 8/22/2021 at 8:32 PM, marielco said:

In case any other Irish cruiser on here booked to fly from Barcelona to Dublin 23.00 flight EI I565 you need to check it out. 

I contacted my TA to enquire about this as we fly out 8th Oct. MSC have changed both flights to Ryanair for us too. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by MaritimeM
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, marielco said:

I had the same concern about luggage but they did book a 20kg check in bag for myself and for my husband. We were also allowed a single cabin bag but it had to fit under the seat.  

They sent me the Ryanair tickets so I was able to check for myself before flying. It was a Ryanair Plus booking. 

I’ve replied twice already but neither replies posted. 🙄.

The rep did say that we’d get tickets and that we would have a luggage allowance.   However, it’s comforting to know that someone actually experienced it and we’re not in for a rude awakening at the airport due to misinformation.   After your experience I’m reluctant to trust anything from MSC regarding the flights.   

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I’ve replied twice already but neither replies posted. 🙄.

The rep did say that we’d get tickets and that we would have a luggage allowance.   However, it’s comforting to know that someone actually experienced it and we’re not in for a rude awakening at the airport due to misinformation.   After your experience I’m reluctant to trust anything from MSC regarding the flights.   

I don’t blame you for being careful.  By the end of our saga I couldn’t trust anything I was told until I saw it for myself.   Hopefully you will have no nasty surprises and have a lovely cruise.  

I upgraded to a balcony cabin last week and haven’t received a confirmation email yet.  Then I got the call about the airline change - still no updated confirmation.   Checked my booking on the website which shows the balcony cabin number but still showing the Aer Lingus flights. 🙄

I’ve booked several cruises where the flights were included without any problems.  We would be booking the very same flights that are included anyway ie Aer Lingus Dublin-Barcelona return.   The flight costs often work out cheaper from MSC. 

In this case, it’s not MSC’s fault that the airline has cancelled the flight.   Unfortunately they dropped the ball in marielco’s case.  I think they may have learnt from it as they actually rang me to inform me of the change. I was unaware of it til then.   

Edited by Beamafar

• 2 weeks later...

So, 2 weeks ago I got the call from MSC about the change of airline.  Today, 2 weeks from embarkation day, the flights have still not been added to the booking so the tickets can’t be released.   The Aer Lingus flights are still showing on my booking. 🙄

With the new requirement for a PCR or antigen test to be done 48 hours prior to embarkation, it’s impossible for me to plan and book the test, not knowing the flight times.

This added stress is so unnecessary, you should have clear information about your flights by now.  There is no excuse for the contrary information - telling you the flights have been changed yet showing the original ones.  I hope you get this sorted soon.  

Thanks, M.  Until I see the tickets I’ve no way of knowing what’s included in terms of luggage allowance (though I know you were allowed 20kg checked bag).

I know your situation was worse than ours in that we, at least, had been given a heads-up about the change of airline.  That was 2 weeks ago and still the dept that arranges the flights haven’t got their act together.

As a result, I can’t currently make arrangements for the Covid test that is required within 48 hours prior to embarkation as I don’t have the flight times.  I’d like to get it done 2 days out as the day before the cruise we rest up in preparation for heading to the airport at 2am that night.

I’m so frustrated with MSC at the moment as I can’t help but wonder if we’re even booked on flights, seeing as the agent has no information in regards to the situation.   Never had this problem before with MSC where flights were included.  A poster on here recently said that he wouldn’t trust MSC for arranging flights. I’m beginning to come around to his way of thinking after this.

The thing is, Dave, that MSC usually books the same flights that we would, independently. It’s just as convenient to let MSC book them because they include transfers and it works out cheaper through them.

I spoke with the agent again today.  She had “escalated” the issue on Thursday.  Today she added “urgent” to her request for the tickets. Apparently she cannot contact the flights dept directly and has to go through a ‘colleague’ who keeps telling her each day since Thursday that it will be sorted “today”. 

DH has had enough - and he doesn’t even deal with it!

The unnecessary requirements for Covid tests that aren’t in place for the countries we’re visiting is the last straw for us, being discriminated against for being non-Schengen.  The EUDCC is meant to be enough for European travel.