CruiseFlex Needs To Flex

dexddd

The program was great up to the changes last week.  With the new changes after 8/27, having to get a test within 3 days but you only have until 5 pm 2 days prior only give you really 24 hours +/- to get results of test.  Tests are starting to take longer again.  Checked Walgreens and the one hour test, closest location was 900 miles away.

At least when you got tested at pier you'd get credit if you tested positive.  Now that option no longer exists.  So now if you don't get results in 24 hours or test positive within 48 hours you get nothing.  My guess is CruiseFlex was to ease minds of traveling but with new changes and no change in CruiseFlex it does the opposite.'

Then there are the B2B ers who have what options?  There was one report you could get tested onboard for $120 pp but another less specific post said no.

We have a one day gap between Mera and Divinia so if we don't get results timely  or test positive we lose.  This situation is only going to force us to cancel ahead of time.

• Like 1

Not sure I follow what you mean by 5pm 2 days prior. If your cruise departs on a Saturday, you can take a test any time from the Wednesday prior. Standard tests should be available through your health care provider, local pharmacies, and/or your municipality free of charge.  It may be a good idea to have two tests from different sites done 3 days before you sail. That will greatly increase the odds that you'll have your results in time for your cruise. With the 5-6 COVID tests I've taken over the past year or so, I think the longest turnaround time was about 60 hours, but YMMV. 

MSC seriously needs to clarify how they will handle the testing requirement for B2B cruises. Will multiple consecutive cruises be considered one cruise for testing purposes? Will they offer testing onboard for free, or for $120? Are you SOL? 

Your case is different in that you have a 1-day gap and will be sailing on different ships. If you are unable to get tested onboard the Meraviglia for your Divina cruise, I'm certain there are private rapid testing labs in Miami where you could purchase a test and have your results in hand within an hour. 

1 hour ago, ciabelle said:

Not sure I follow what you mean by 5pm 2 days prior.

This thread is about the CruiseFlex policy. You have until 5 pm 2 days prior to cancel, yet you cannot have the test until 3 days prior. Thus, you essentially must get your test results back in 24 hours in order to cancel if the test is positive. And the test most widely available can take 2-3 days to get results, and even then they don't promise to report results to you within 2-3 days. OP's point was that something needs to give .. the timing just doesn't work.

What they need to do is extend the CruiseFlex policy to apply to all cases where someone is unable to cruise because of positive test results in the 3 days prior to cruise including day of, or if they can prove the test was done but results not reported in time to embark.

It is my understanding that CruiseFlex is a policy that covers a person who wants to cancel for any reason.

If a person tests positive and proves it to MSC, I am sure they will gladly give you a refund or FCC. They don't want you on their ship. 

Where are you getting your info from? What makes you think you lose everything if you are +?

Calm heads need to prevail here. Perhaps someone who has experienced a positive test can post their experience.

Hopefully not me in 3 weeks.

There's no need to update the flex policy because the flex policy isn't intended to address this scenario. 

MSC clearly states as part of the standard COVID-19 Assistance that they will issue a 100% refund or future CC for COVID-19 positive or quarantine:

image.png.59b8ddb79618f3dca7dc854994d46d18.png

Thus there is zero need for them to update the flex policy as the flex policy allows you to change/cancel for any reason and is not intended to address this specific scenario. Heck, before people were only tested at the port...should they have reduced it to flex up to the time of boarding?

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

• Like 3

Does MSC still have its Reassurance Insurance policy in place. It was provided for free to fully vaccinated guests who cruise by October 31 in the US. Cannot find it now on website. Has the October 31, 2021 date been removed?

2 hours ago, phissy said:

Does MSC still have its Reassurance Insurance policy in place. It was provided for free to fully vaccinated guests who cruise by October 31 in the US. Cannot find it now on website. Has the October 31, 2021 date been removed?

I couldn't find it either since the latest changes.

2 hours ago, phissy said:

I found this.    https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

• Like 1

7 hours ago, travelwide said:

It is my understanding that CruiseFlex is a policy that covers a person who wants to cancel for any reason.

Its partially a joke.

Valid on any cruise booked thru September sailing thru September 30 2022.

Problem is, you book the 9/27/2022 and want to cancel, you need to by 9/25/2022.

You can then transfer the FCC to what? Any cruise sailing by 9/30/2022 which there are none.

STeve

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 6:40 AM, ciabelle said:

Not sure I follow what you mean by 5pm 2 days prior. If your cruise departs on a Saturday, you can take a test any time from the Wednesday prior. Standard tests should be available through your health care provider, local pharmacies, and/or your municipality free of charge.  It may be a good idea to have two tests from different sites done 3 days before you sail. That will greatly increase the odds that you'll have your results in time for your cruise. With the 5-6 COVID tests I've taken over the past year or so, I think the longest turnaround time was about 60 hours, but YMMV. 

MSC seriously needs to clarify how they will handle the testing requirement for B2B cruises. Will multiple consecutive cruises be considered one cruise for testing purposes? Will they offer testing onboard for free, or for $120? Are you SOL? 

Your case is different in that you have a 1-day gap and will be sailing on different ships. If you are unable to get tested onboard the Meraviglia for your Divina cruise, I'm certain there are private rapid testing labs in Miami where you could purchase a test and have your results in hand within an hour. 

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I didn't word that very well.  What I meant to say is MSC will let you cancel up to 48 hours before your cruise (5 p.m. Eastern Time in the US).  So in our case, by 5 p.m. Thursday for a Saturday cruise.  We can't take the test any sooner than Wednesday so essentially we have only 24 hours as I understand it to get results.  I saw one poster say they had some test take 3 and 7 days recently for results.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:23 AM, publicpersona said:

This thread is about the CruiseFlex policy. You have until 5 pm 2 days prior to cancel, yet you cannot have the test until 3 days prior. Thus, you essentially must get your test results back in 24 hours in order to cancel if the test is positive. And the test most widely available can take 2-3 days to get results, and even then they don't promise to report results to you within 2-3 days. OP's point was that something needs to give .. the timing just doesn't work.

What they need to do is extend the CruiseFlex policy to apply to all cases where someone is unable to cruise because of positive test results in the 3 days prior to cruise including day of, or if they can prove the test was done but results not reported in time to embark.

You got what I meant exactly.  I didn't exactly word it quite well, but yes, that is what I was meaning.

The other thing I've been curious about is the MSC insurance for vaxxed.  When does it start?  Does it cover you if you test positive before you arrive at the pier?  If so, that might cover the gap that has been created but I have not seen any specifics if this scenario (testing positive or not getting results timely)  would be covered.

23 hours ago, travelwide said:

If a person tests positive and proves it to MSC, I am sure they will gladly give you a refund or FCC. They don't want you on their ship. 

Where are you getting your info from? What makes you think you lose everything if you are +?

Calm heads need to prevail here. Perhaps someone who has experienced a positive test can post their experience.

Hopefully not me in 3 weeks.

I have calm head because I'm thinking about information they have not clarified or presented.  If they have, please point me to where they said they would give refund if positive after the cruise flex deadline or not able to get results timely.

23 hours ago, NCPipeSmoker said:

There's no need to update the flex policy because the flex policy isn't intended to address this scenario. 

MSC clearly states as part of the standard COVID-19 Assistance that they will issue a 100% refund or future CC for COVID-19 positive or quarantine:

image.png.59b8ddb79618f3dca7dc854994d46d18.png

Thus there is zero need for them to update the flex policy as the flex policy allows you to change/cancel for any reason and is not intended to address this specific scenario. Heck, before people were only tested at the port...should they have reduced it to flex up to the time of boarding?

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

I've seen that and have it printed out.  But does it say when the coverage begins?  There is a "*" to see policy but does anyone have those details?

Without wording that it covers you before the trip, we are just assuming.  Does it say if I get quarantined at home they refund my cruise or does it mean if I get quarantined on the ship I get refund?

17 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

Yes, that was still there yesterday when I looked.  To me, at least, even with the trip cancellation option being "N/A" what does that mean?  If I cancel, if they cancel it is not a covered item.