New info on Hotel Galvez

wolfganghowell

I probably can never get used to calling it Grand Galvez.  I know the new owners are remodeling (ugh) but wondering how things are progressing.  We are staying there pre cruise end of October and I'm worried it's going to be torn up.  Tripadvisor is no real help - not a lot of info and the reviews have taken a nosedive. Nothing on their FB, heck, they haven't even updated the hotel website.  I know they are short staffed - no surprise there.  If any of the Galveston locals or upcoming travelers can supply some info, it would be much appreciated.  I've considered doing a back up reservation somewhere else just in case but the rates are through the roof (Halloween weekend).

Howdy @wolfganghowell emo22.gif

Here are renderings of what is to be. First set was June 29, 2021 & other set was August 13, 2021:

Here’s a look at renovations to come at Galveston’s Grand Galvez

Look inside the historic Grand Galvez Hotel as renovations continue

Again, just renderings... not the real thing! emo12.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

13 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Howdy @wolfganghowell emo22.gif

Here are renderings of what is to be. First set was June 29, 2021 & other set was August 13, 2021:

Here’s a look at renovations to come at Galveston’s Grand Galvez

Look inside the historic Grand Galvez Hotel as renovations continue

Again, just renderings... not the real thing! emo12.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

It will be the real thing and the new owners having to defend it to the hilt on media . There is a lot of push back on the drastic changes to Historic Grand Dame Colonial Galvez. 

Edited by ssb

Thanks ssb, I knew I could count on you!  yeah, I'm not too happy with the renderings.  It looks overdone and "Dallas plastic".  And I can say that - born and bred Dallasite. 😉 Hope you will be kind enough to come back and give me a report in October.

I think part of the PR problem Mark Wyant and his wife, interior designer Lorenda Wyant, are having on Galveston Island was the PR campaign for their The Saint Hotels in New Orleans, Key West & Charleston. They cater to a more mature crowd, offer few family-focused perks and encourage their visitors to "Play Naughty, Sleep Saintly." Lots of folks do not want that done to Texas' only historic Gulf Coast beach-front hotel here on their island.

And BTW, what about Audra, the "Ghost Bride" and her Room 501 or the other ghosts as well as the haunted portrait of Bernardo de Galvez? Will there be an exorcism? Please note the articles are oldie but goodies from October 8, 2015 and September 25, 2019.

image.thumb.png.9410eff7d11ad4c3bf247d6818469be1.png

"From Ghoulies and Ghoosties,

And long-leggety Beasties,

and Things that go Bump in the Night,

Good Lord, deliver us!" 

Ancient Scottish prayer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I understand the Tremont was part of the deal.  We are staying there in November.  Hoping they keep the grand old feeling of these places, that service doesn’t slip.  

There was a deal at one time to be done with both to same 

buyer , but with covid , they were sold to separate buyers . The old feeling at Tremont will be there,  but not at the Old Grand Dame of the Island . Nothing will be the same of the Old Grand Feelings. 

Yes it saddens me that the historic value of the Galvez will be impacted. She is unique.  It should have been a requirement of the sale that the hotel's historic significance would be respected and valued.  The ghosts are going to be mad!!  We are still staying since the rates for Halloween weekend everywhere are insane but this may be our farewell to a once Grand Lady. Tremont will probably be our replacement in the future.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...