Covid test 72 hours before trip.

tncruiser11

5 minutes ago, robcolem said:

That binax home test, the kit includes two tests. If the result is negative you are to take take the second test to confirm it by taking the second test 36 hours later.

ah ok, so if my test is delayed, best to schlep it back to CVS and get a rapid test? 

If I purchased the "Essentials Travel Protection, Essentials level" does that cover testing positive at the port? I mean, I wasn't too concerned about covid travel protection before since NCL was doing most of that and was just looking for something basic that covered everything else, but now I am like shoot did I choose wrong?

6 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

ah ok, so if my test is delayed, best to schlep it back to CVS and get a rapid test? 

I would think the CVS would require an appointment, which might be difficult to get if you wait too close to your travel date. At least the CVS and Walgreens where I am require appointments and the antigen test is done at the drive-thru.  

I was unable to schedule an antigen test or PCR for my sailing on the 28th and I fly out the morning of the 27th. It's an all day travel with connections. The next available appointment was an afternoon on the 27th.  I opted for an antibody test to at least make myself feel comfortable even though that doesn't tell me if I have it at time of testing.  With travel medical insurance and general isolation from working at home all year I'm feeling good about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robcolem said:

I would think the CVS would require an appointment, which might be difficult to get if you wait too close to your travel date. At least the CVS and Walgreens where I am require appointments and the antigen test is done at the drive-thru.  

I was unable to schedule an antigen test or PCR for my sailing on the 28th and I fly out the morning of the 27th. It's an all day travel with connections. The next available appointment was an afternoon on the 27th.  I opted for an antibody test to at least make myself feel comfortable even though that doesn't tell me if I have it at time of testing.  With travel medical insurance and general isolation from working at home all year I'm feeling good about it.

Oh i don't blame you, my husband and I both work from home and have been in a 3 week quarantine, but I just don't want to leave anything to chance,. So I am thinking: Appointment for PCR at CVS at 11am Sept  2nd.  Appointment for Antigen at Walgreens at 11am Sept 3rd. I fly out Sept 4th. That would get me both a PCR and Antigen test before flying out hopefully

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Marygracie C. said:

I emailed to an address for health on Bermuda Health site and was told that as long as you do not get off ship in Bermuda,no paper work or testing need be done".However,you must comply with cruise lines m

23 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i am sailing on the Breakaway at the end of october. I have a feeling NCL will required that travel authorization as part of the checkin we do the terminal. I read somewhere either on the Bermuda website or somewhere else that the ship needs to send to the port official a manifest of everyone onboard the ship.

andates"This took place about ten days ago and may have changed!!!

3 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

If I purchased the "Essentials Travel Protection, Essentials level" does that cover testing positive at the port? I mean, I wasn't too concerned about covid travel protection before since NCL was doing most of that and was just looking for something basic that covered everything else, but now I am like shoot did I choose wrong?

Probably have to pull out the terms/conditions.  I got travel insurance from AIG Travel Guard and the trip interruption/delay/cancelation aspects are not covered because Covid is still a national emergency so its like buying travel insurance after a hurricane is named. But the medical coverage still applies.  My guess is that's how other travel insurance is too with Covid.

• Like 1

Marygracie

I just to say thanks for your post.  I have a reservation for a 5 day Bermuda cruise in September, 2022 from New York City to Bermuda for 30 hours when we sail back to New York.   I really did not want to get off the ship in Bermuda as I have been there several times in the past  on other cruises.  I would not mind getting the tests to prove that I am negative but was not crazy in paying $75 for a test when I wanted to stay on the ship so I can read a book that I am bringing with me and just relax.  I can follow NCL rules when you are on board.  I guess 6 feet apart, wear a mask all times unless you are sitting down for a meal or at a bar having a drink and I can do that.  

So if nothing changes I not going to get tested by Bermuda authorities but will have a copy of my tests showing that a test was done before I  got on the ship the way NCL has requested the test and will give them a copy of it and not get tested and will remain on the ship

Marygarcie  Thanks again for posted what you did and I am going to copy your email where the agency I guess over sees the Bermuda shots

Sam  aka Andy

2 minutes ago, Sam The Cat said:

Marygracie

I just to say thanks for your post.  I have a reservation for a 5 day Bermuda cruise in September, 2022 from New York City to Bermuda for 30 hours when we sail back to New York.   I really did not want to get off the ship in Bermuda as I have been there several times in the past  on other cruises.  I would not mind getting the tests to prove that I am negative but was not crazy in paying $75 for a test when I wanted to stay on the ship so I can read a book that I am bringing with me and just relax.  I can follow NCL rules when you are on board.  I guess 6 feet apart, wear a mask all times unless you are sitting down for a meal or at a bar having a drink and I can do that.  

So if nothing changes I not going to get tested by Bermuda authorities but will have a copy of my tests showing that a test was done before I  got on the ship the way NCL has requested the test and will give them a copy of it and not get tested and will remain on the ship

Marygarcie  Thanks again for posted what you did and I am going to copy your email where the agency I guess over sees the Bermuda shots

Sam  aka Andy

September, 2022? I don't think you should waste any energy contemplating what the COVID protocols for any country/state/city will be a year out. We can't even predict from week to week right now!

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Sam The Cat said:

Marygracie

Sam  aka Andy

I called NCL in Miami two weeks ago and was told I'd need to do the testing Bermuda is requiring even if I don't get off the ship as I was in Bermudian waters. Be safe and check both places as their info doesn't seem to agree.

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

September, 2022? I don't think you should waste any energy contemplating what the COVID protocols for any country/state/city will be a year out. We can't even predict from week to week right now!

We're sailing in 59 days and I feel like we can't predict or plan for what's going be required! Except buy insurance, document everything you're told or promised, and stay flexible! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The P said:

I called NCL in Miami two weeks ago and was told I'd need to do the testing Bermuda is requiring even if I don't get off the ship as I was in Bermudian waters. Be safe and check both places as their info doesn't seem to agree.

I was told that NCL will provide specific instructions for our sailing 30 days out. I am on the 9/26 Bermuda sailing, so I will hopefully have more info in two days. In the mean time, the people currently on the Crystal Symphony from Boston to Bermuda all had to complete the Travel Authorization and all had to submit to PCR testing onboard as they approached Bermuda.

Edited by JamieLogical

6 hours ago, goldmom said:

So are we now going to have to test again at three days before sailing?!  This is crazy.  Really hoping that NCL will accept the 4 day prior test for Bermuda, rather than making us take a 4th test at three day mark.

Yes.

(For anyone with no reason to be concerned about Bermuda: Bermuda requires one to upload a test result when applying for a travel authorization, and because of the time it takes to process that, recommends obtaining the test four days in advance.)

22 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I was told that NCL will provide specific instructions for our sailing 30 days out. I am on the 9/26 Bermuda sailing, so I will hopefully have more info in two days. In the mean time, the people currently on the Crystal Symphony from Boston to Bermuda all had to complete the Travel Authorization and all had to submit to PCR testing onboard as they approached Bermuda.

One difference is that the Crystal Symphony has only one sea day before arriving at Bermuda; the NCL itineraries have two. I have no idea how Bermuda will deal with that.

52 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Yes.

(For anyone with no reason to be concerned about Bermuda: Bermuda requires one to upload a test result when applying for a travel authorization, and because of the time it takes to process that, recommends obtaining the test four days in advance.)

So, the Bahamas (Nassau) requires the same upload... and they require you to pay for Bahamian COVID health insurance.... unless you arrive by cruise ship with pre-coordinated test/vaccination data sent to them from the cruise line.

I also received this letter for our jade Greek cruise next week. The letter is contradictory. In one place it says they strongly recommend taking a PCR or antigen test 72 hours prior to sail date. Further down in the letter it says no refund without proof of test taken 72 hours before travel date. 

We leave Thursday 7am and the cruise departs Sunday. We were planning to get a PCR test on Tuesday. Hope that will be enough. It

5 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

I also received this letter for our jade Greek cruise next week. The letter is contradictory. In one place it says they strongly recommend taking a PCR or antigen test 72 hours prior to sail date. Further down in the letter it says no refund without proof of test taken 72 hours before travel date. 

We leave Thursday 7am and the cruise departs Sunday. We were planning to get a PCR test on Tuesday. Hope that will be enough. It

The earliest you can test is Thursday. A test on Tuesday will make you feel better, but you’re still out of luck if you test positive at check-in. 

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The earliest you can test is Thursday. A test on Tuesday will make you feel better, but you’re still out of luck if you test positive at check-in. 

I see on the sail safe page they use 72 hours prior to sail date consistently. Wonder why our letter has travel date instead? Many people on this cruise are leaving Thursday/Friday with the air deviation. I guess we are going to have to buy some of those monitored tests we can do in the room 

Edited by classy_cruiser

14 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

Also on the Breakaway to Bermuda and hoping you may know the answer to this - I know we need to get the PCR test regardless, but do you know if we need to get the authorization form if we choose not to get off the ship? Just curious.  Which week are you going? We are sailing October 10th

We are also on the 10th.  I know others have responded, but here's my take which may or may not be correct.  It appears to me from reading everything that everyone will need the approved Travel Authorisation from Bermuda in order to board the ship.  It also seems that everyone onboard will need a test before the ship is allowed to dock or disembark passengers in Bermuda.  Of course this is all subject to change and we should have more information as the first cruises to Bermuda begin.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, goldmom said:

We are also on the 10th.  I know others have responded, but here's my take which may or may not be correct.  It appears to me from reading everything that everyone will need the approved Travel Authorisation from Bermuda in order to board the ship.  It also seems that everyone onboard will need a test before the ship is allowed to dock or disembark passengers in Bermuda.  Of course this is all subject to change and we should have more information as the first cruises to Bermuda begin.

That is my take as well. In order to board, we will need to have an approved Travel Authorization Application. Once near Bermuda, we will all be required to take a PCR test onboard and no one will be allowed to get off of the ship until the results for everyone are back. Whether you, individually, plan to get off the ship or not is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

That is my take as well. In order to board, we will need to have an approved Travel Authorization Application. Once near Bermuda, we will all be required to take a PCR test onboard and no one will be allowed to get off of the ship until the results for everyone are back. Whether you, individually, plan to get off the ship or not is irrelevant.

Which adds a further complication: for my October booking, many excursions are available only for the first morning in port. I don't know whether other dates are sold out, but I doubt that anyone will be leaving the ship on the first morning.

2 hours ago, NCLAlaska828 said:

What if we didn’t buy any type of insurance? I notice NCL says they’ll cover whatever your insurance doesn’t cover, does that mean they won’t cover anything if you don’t have any travel insurance?

The sail safe page used to say they would cover any quarantine related costs period. Now it says only if you take an official test 72 hours before sail date. And it definitely hints that they are only going to look into reimbursements if your travel insurance denies it first. 

I'm pretty steamed about this because we are leaving very early in the morning exactly 3 days before the sail date next week (losing a day when traveling to Europe). There is no way we can get a test before leaving and be within 72 hours. So now we have to pay an additional cost and get tested in the foreign country. Meaning if we test positive at that point, NCL won't be involved because it won't be at the pier. So we will just be at the mercy of government officials if anything goes sideways. And there were several news articles explaining that is a situation you don't want to be in. 

Anyone who booked assuming NCL would have your back in case of a positive test result in a foreign country should seriously reconsider at this point. Unfortunately because we are within the 2 weeks of sailing we are stuck. 

Here is the letter I received this morning. Note this letter says 72 hours prior to travel date. The sail safe page says 72 hours prior to sail date. So which is it? I'm sure if you call customer service 3 times you will get 3 different answers. 

Norwegian Jade Embarkation Information.pdf

Edited by classy_cruiser
typo