Disembarkation a day early

5onadime

Yes. There is probably some protocol to follow with Celebrity but especially on this itinerary I don’t think it’s unusual  to do this.  We are doing a round trip Tokyo cruise next April (hopefully!) and plan to do the same thing as we are spending a few days in Tokyo prior to the cruise.  

• Thanks 1

I would imagine that the large advanced notice is required in order to assure that someone is available 'off schedule' to conduct the C&I procedures upon disembarkation.  So the cruise arrives at it's final destination in Japan, then overnights there?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 5onadime said:

We are looking at a round trip cruise from Tokyo in March of 22.  It arrives back in Tokyo on March 26th but the cruise isn't officially over until the 27th.  Would it be okay to leave on the 26th?   Thank you

No one here can answer that. You need to talk to Celebrity. It's theoretically possible but It's not their decision. Not always possible even in the before times. It will depend on if Tokyo port authorities will allow passengers to disembark a day early.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No problem.  Done it in Dubai and Hong Kong on previous trips when there was an overnight stay.  You have to carry off your own luggage.  I just let guest services know of my intentions a couple of days early. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s easy to say “no problem” based on what has happened in the past.

But these are new times.  And Dubai and Hong Kong aren’t Tokyo, obviously

Japan may have it on rules which what won’t allow an early disembarkation.

To avoid disappointment, I would not wait until two or three days before the end of the cruise to let Celebrity know that you will be leaving early. Make the arrangements ahead of time.

Also remember that there is no discount for the missed night.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We have done the early disembark in Dubai and Hong Kong pre COVID with no problems, we have also left a ship in Tokyo the port is Yokohama.

The Japanese protocols are very strict and after what happened with Princess and COVID they may be stricter. At the moment Japan is also struggling with COVID-19, I would not plan to leave the ship early without getting written approval from Celebrity.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, 5onadime said:

We are looking at a round trip cruise from Tokyo in March of 22.  It arrives back in Tokyo on March 26th but the cruise isn't officially over until the 27th.  Would it be okay to leave on the 26th?   Thank you

I can confirm that it is  possible.    I did the same in Tokyo last year.    You need to advise Celebrity but I did not have to seek pre-approval.       The choice of leaving early was also a choice on the questionnaire you receive about disembarkation. 

All we had to do was advise what  time we were leaving so they could assure a customs agent was available in the port.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

We did this cruise a few years ago, and walked off the ship the day before for a private shore excursion.  We could have just as easily left the ship for good that day.  

As a practical matter, I doubt that Japan will be allowing cruises by March 2022.

You might have but as soon as they see you with luggage you will be stopped.   When you disembark early they take your sea pass and you can not go back on the ship.

We tried this in Buenos Aires and as we were arriving on Christmas Eve wanted  to check into our rented apartment, Christmas Dinner shop and return to the ship for the final night but  were advised that was not possible.   

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all the replies.  I did contact Celebrity today. The person I spoke with said it was not possible because of Covid protocols.... this does make sense....howeve,r the person I spoke with did not instill confidence🤣.  

We are still looking at our options.  I was looking into the Japan travel restrictions and they are still pretty strict .   

On 8/26/2021 at 4:37 PM, rjrpar said:

I asked the same question about a month ago re. an early departure from a Caribbean cruise.

I was told that due to the pandemic, there is a temporary suspension on disembarking cruises early. 

Hopefully this will change as time and Covid go by. We hare hoping to disembark in Portugal on a cruise that ends in Southampton. May wait for a while before we ask more about this so that the information we get will reflect the more up to date regulations.  

2 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Hopefully this will change as time and Covid go by. We hare hoping to disembark in Portugal on a cruise that ends in Southampton. May wait for a while before we ask more about this so that the information we get will reflect the more up to date regulations.  

Here it sounds like wanting to leave the ship early at a different port of call. I doubt that COVID will change anything to disembark the cruiseship a day early if already if the ship has already a overnight at the port where the cruise terminates. It's also a matter of customs and ship clearnace which the ship has at the time passengers are free to explore the destination.

As mentioned by others here already, it would be quite a miracle if the Japan cruises in March and April 2022 will actually happen. For one, the vaccination rate will need to be drastically increased and as a result COVID cases to drop significantly. As X might not want to wait until last munute they might just take the decision in the next couple of months already to cancel these trips.

We are on the transAtlantic cruise in April. It ends in Southampton but we are looking into disembarking in Lisbon. Hopefully that cruise will not be cancelled. And Celebrity does have some cruises which end in Lisbon (I think) so perhaps that might make an approval easier. I guess we can do nothing more than try.