Can you bring more than two bottles of wine and pay corkage fee?

leela8

1 hour ago, LMHSRN said:

You need to read the rules.  I think plastic is not allowed.  Rules state cans or bottles only.

There is nothing in the FAQ's regarding plastic.  It does say thought that alcohol and non-alcoholic products are not allowed to be carried on board.

7 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Can you give a link to that?

i know that plastic mouthwash bottles, plastic shampoo bottles etc. have always been allowed, along with plastic bottles of water.  Has somethhing changed?

I'd also like to have a link. There's nothing in the Prohibited Items list banning plastic.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Thanks 1

In the past I once put two bottles of wine in my carry on and two bottles of wine in my DW's carry on.  We separated going through the scanners. They didn't put 2+2 together.  I figured if they discovered it we would get them back at the cruise's end.

Also in the past I've slapped a luggage tag on a case of water. It made it to the cabin. That was before I started getting the drinks package as a perk.  Now neither is necessary for us. YMMV.

LMHSRN, Do the rules specify GLASS bottles? 

Passengers’ plastic bottles have always been allowed.

Celebrity tried (and maybe still is trying) metal water bottles in Alaska, but they didn’t prohibit passengers bringing plastic bottles aboard.

Edited by cruisestitch

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

There is nothing in the FAQ's regarding plastic.  It does say thought that alcohol and non-alcoholic products are not allowed to be carried on board.

You are correct.  It is in the contract!

1 hour ago, LMHSRN said:

You are correct.  It is in the contract!

The contract can be found here: 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Celebrity-Cruise-Ticket-Contract.pdf

Nowhere in the contract does the word "plastic" appear, nor is there any suggestion that only cans or glass bottles are allowed. Again, if you have seen a document stating that plastic containers are not allowed, would you please provide a link.

7 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

In the past I once put two bottles of wine in my carry on and two bottles of wine in my DW's carry on.  We separated going through the scanners. They didn't put 2+2 together.  I figured if they discovered it we would get them back at the cruise's end.

Also in the past I've slapped a luggage tag on a case of water. It made it to the cabin. That was before I started getting the drinks package as a perk.  Now neither is necessary for us. YMMV.

On an RCL extended-family cruise (5+ rooms), we hit up Costco on the way to the port and just started stuffing wine into bags where it would fit.  Between checked and carry-on, some rooms ended up with way more than the permitted amount and others with far less.  It doesn't seem to be that well enforced by room. 

Indeed.  I found out the hard way that when sailing with X, you'd better have it in carry-on unless you want to get your legitimate 2 bottles, and your suitcase, out of luggage jail on Deck 1, or wherever it lands on your particular ship.

10 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Different cruise line, different experience

Same parent company, same terminal, same shoreside staff.  Luggage jail or not, there does not appear to be reconciliation between checked vs carry on beverages. 

There are many differences between the different lines, so terminal staff enforce different regulations depending on which cruise company is using that terminal that day.  

It’s a mistake to think that just because Celebrity does some thing that Royal Caribbean would do the same and vice versa.

Witness the current vaccination procedures between the two lines………

16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The contract can be found here: 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Celebrity-Cruise-Ticket-Contract.pdf

Nowhere in the contract does the word "plastic" appear, nor is there any suggestion that only cans or glass bottles are allowed. Again, if you have seen a document stating that plastic containers are not allowed, would you please provide a link.

Good point, however the language of the Contract (see Paragraph 3) makes it pretty clear that Celebrity can prohibit passengers from bringing anything on board that is outside their policy.  Interestingly, the Contract doesn't contain any prohibition against bringing alcoholic beverages on board.  Per Paragraph 9.a. alcoholic beverages are subject to their policies as specified on their website (which, in the FAQ section, describes the alcohol policy).

As to plastic water bottles, which IMHO probably should be banned, there is no policy that I could find.  There is the item in the the "What not to pack?" FAQ (https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/before-you-board)  that seems to prohibit alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.  However, as many have indicated, taking water on board has been allowed in the past.  With AI, I could imagine them no longer permitting that practice.

The Contract is clear however, that if a passenger has a question about the permissibility of any item,  it is the passenger's obligation to seek clarification prior to boarding.

45 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

Good point, however the language of the Contract (see Paragraph 3) makes it pretty clear that Celebrity can prohibit passengers from bringing anything on board that is outside their policy.  Interestingly, the Contract doesn't contain any prohibition against bringing alcoholic beverages on board.  Per Paragraph 9.a. alcoholic beverages are subject to their policies as specified on their website (which, in the FAQ section, describes the alcohol policy).

As to plastic water bottles, which IMHO probably should be banned, there is no policy that I could find.  There is the item in the the "What not to pack?" FAQ (https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/before-you-board)  that seems to prohibit alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.  However, as many have indicated, taking water on board has been allowed in the past.  With AI, I could imagine them no longer permitting that practice.

The Contract is clear however, that if a passenger has a question about the permissibility of any item,  it is the passenger's obligation to seek clarification prior to boarding.

The bottom line is that, contrary to the assertion of @LMHSRN, neither the contract nor other documents, FAQs or webpages prohibit plastic bottles at this point in time. Like you, I favour the banning of plastic water bottles, although I'm not sure that cans are particularly advantageous. I'd prefer emphasis being placed on reusable water bottles.

I don't have AI on this cruise so I am bringing water in plastic bottles in my carry on and see what happens. I thought I read "somewhere" that plastic bottles were prohibited but I can't say for sure where I read this on their website. That's why I am asking here. 

thank you all for the responses!

Perhaps LMHSRN saw one of several articles over the last few months about NCL and Celebrity no longer using plastic bottles when making water available to guests.

Maybe someone who cares deeply about this issue could call Celebrity and ask the question.  That way we could get back to focusing on tips and dress codes. 😂