Can you bring more than two bottles of wine and pay corkage fee?

leela8

3 minutes ago, leela8 said:

Has anyone brought more than the 2 allowed per cabin and paid a corkage fee?

On Holland they let you  New to Celebrity.

Thanks

Lisa

We have only ever been allowed 2. Corkage is only charged if you take to dining room.

The current policy is anything over 2 bottles per stateroom will be taken from you (if they discover it ) and will be held until the end of the cruise when you can pick it up.   You may have to visit the naughty room.

You can buy duty free on board if on a B2B.  The bottles are delivered to your cabin the last evening on the first leg.  Not hard to open in your room and drink anywhere on the ship.

Trying to take 4 bottles on board isn't worth the hassle.

We always bring a wine opener.

Again with the new policy little reason to bring anything alcoholic on board.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

We don’t know if the OP is doing B2B.  In any case, the duty free shop on board doesn’t generally have wine for sale, just liquor and spirits like Kahlua

Always possible to purchase something on shore during first leg and surrendering it when boarding.  That should be returned at the end of the first leg, too. 

@Arizona Wildcat

Even with AI or an unlimited OBC budget, there are still our favorite 'special event' beverages that are unobtainable elsewhere.  Pfirsichlikör after dinner comes to mind.  Bottled as, ahem, er, Spätburgunder Rosé (shhhh!!!) it travels anywhere!  The locally made stuff (forget De Kuyper, for example) can be AMAZING. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You can buy duty free on board if on a B2B.  The bottles are delivered to your cabin the last evening on the first leg.  Not hard to open in your room and drink anywhere on the ship.

Trying to take 4 bottles on board isn't worth the hassle.

We always bring a wine opener.

Again with the new policy little reason to bring anything alcoholic on board.

reports are that this has not been the case with some B2B cruisers.. it is hit or miss

7 hours ago, upwarduk said:

No Duty Free on Silhouette Round Britain cruises. UK VAT at 20% is added to all drinks, so the Classic limit is $11.

I wasn't certain about the Silhouette cruises but thought they would not have Duty Free open.  It's really tough on the crew because they have to also pay VAT for their internet purchases and other things they buy aboard. 

5 hours ago, gold1953 said:

reports are that this has not been the case with some B2B cruisers.. it is hit or miss

I've never read that before.    I would think  it would be more difficult for the cruise line to figure out who was B2B and then segregate their purchases.

We have always had our purchases delivered on B2B's ad B2B2B's.     Most of the time if you purchase on the last day of the cruise they have told us just to take it with us.

9 hours ago, upwarduk said:

No Duty Free on Silhouette Round Britain cruises. UK VAT at 20% is added to all drinks, so the Classic limit is $11.

Heard that was the reason they would throw Guernsey into itineraries, to get away from VAT.

There's even duty-free on the ferry to Guernsey and Jersey. 

38 minutes ago, Islandhop9 said:

Wondering if they are picky about what type of wine is brought on. Is port/dessert wine allowed?

Never been a problem in the past.  In addition to the Pfirsichlikör I mentioned earlier, we have also been known to bring along a bottle of GOOD Trockenbeerenauslese (very late picked ... very nearby raisins!) because I cannot abide most 'dessert wines'.  Too many are made in warmer climates, and you wind up with all sugar and no acidity.  I call that stuff 'grape syrup'.  I need a little pucker power to balance the sugar to be a happy camper.  Unlikely you'll ever find anything comparable on a cruise ship unless your budget ($$$!) extends to Chateau d'Yquem and the ship happens to have a decent year.

So yes, bring a dessert wine that suits your taste and enjoy!

7 hours ago, Islandhop9 said:

Wondering if they are picky about what type of wine is brought on. Is port/dessert wine allowed?

Do they allow a 6 or 12 pack of soda? 

(not everyone has AI) 

They do allow Soda and Water and many bring a couple 6 packs or a case aboard and check it as luggage.

They do consider any type of wine, sherry, port or other variations as wine.   I'm not sure  at what Alcahol% they consider it a spirit which is forbidden.

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm not sure  at what Alcahol% they consider it a spirit which is forbidden.

Have never seen a % published anywhere, either.  I'd expect anything 20% or under would never be an issue.  Heck, a stout Zinfandel can run upwards of 17%.

4 hours ago, rubens said:

Now that almost everyone gets the drink package included X should be happy that you bring more of your own bottles of wine so that would save them money. One can only have one drink at a time!

Speak for yourself. 🍻😂

12 hours ago, D C said:

Heard that was the reason they would throw Guernsey into itineraries, to get away from VAT.

There's even duty-free on the ferry to Guernsey and Jersey. 

Sadly, Guernsey has said no to any cruise ship visits this year.   Yes it’s true it’s duty free because it is not in the EU.