5 hours in Victoria, BC

dgoz

Any suggestions of what to do with this little night time stop in BC? I wanted to visit Buschart Gardens but Celebrity Tour starts at 6 so you would have to miss dinner. Using city bus is an hour each way. Anyone do a private tour with Fresh Air or would you just walk around? This would be our 1st time visiting.

We have been to Victoria a number of times, including several port stops, a land trip and once, for me, on business.  I realize that this idea may not be appealing to our OP, but we walk down to the Bard & Banker Scottish Pub located on Government Street and enjoy a lovely meal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgoz said:

Any suggestions of what to do with this little night time stop in BC? I wanted to visit Buschart Gardens but Celebrity Tour starts at 6 so you would have to miss dinner. Using city bus is an hour each way. Anyone do a private tour with Fresh Air or would you just walk around? This would be our 1st time visiting.

We  had a late lunch and there was food at the buffet when we returned from Butchart Gardens.  We really enjoyed our visit there.  Remember, it gets dark later there.  

You can probably get better information on the ports of call board here

Depending on your arrival time, there's a lot to do along Government Street, and the Empress is a great stop on its own. I've never had tea there, but it's supposed to be amazing. My DW has been to Butchart Gardens and loved it, and I'd suggest checking it out online and calculating the stop versus missing dinner. But there are a lot of interesting things to do near the cruise port, depending on when you arrive and your interests. We actually found the BC Museum fascinating years ago, and it's also close by. And it will get dark very late...

I lived on the Island for many years.   I agree  Butchart Gardens is worth seeing.  They have great afternoon teas if you enjoy that.  The museum has lots to see, presented in an experiential format in parts so not too dry, really more fun. Weather permitting, sometimes outside there is a first nation carver making a totem pole.

Government street runs down from the very Victorian provincial legislature (tours may be available depending on whether it is in session).  Must see is       The art deco Roger’s chocolate store. The chocolates are amazing.  Visit ‘Old Morris tobacconist to see the pedestal cigar lighter from the same era. Munro’s books is excellent, formerly owned by famous Canadian author Alice Munro and her husband.

It’s very walkable, lots of good restaurants.  Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, dgoz said:

Thanks for all this advice!

When planning time ashore in Victoria, you should also consider the potential for a late arrival. If the ship experiences heavy weather in the Pacific Ocean, the arrival into Victoria could be later than published.

• 3 weeks later...

I live part time in Victoria and quite often just go for a walk downtown. There is a mueseum to visit, the parliament building... you can go for tea at the empress and it is all within walking distance or a brief taxi away.

Really nice walkable port.