NCL Gem COVID?

big al

I find it very interesting that the NCL Gem went on her first cruise 2 weeks ago and reported NO COVID19 cases...then last week, the CDC changed their status from Green to Orange..does anybody know if there were any COVID cases reported on the crew  or the passengers?

I'm currently on the ship and was also onboard last week. For an orange status, 1 or more people have COVID and the ship reported that to the CDC. We don't know how many, but it's a low enough number that the CDC isn't investigating. Yet, anyway. There's a quarantine section on deck 4 and they keep people away from that area. No announcements have been made and everything is normal onboard. We all knew that COVID cases were a risk.

• Like 3

I'll also add that we were docked next to a Royal Caribbean ship a few days ago (Costa Maya, I believe) and most of the passengers getting of the RC ship were not wearing masks despite it being mandatory to wear them onshore. If you're cruising anytime soon, mask up no matter what others are doing.

• Like 6

Covid is everywhere and will be for some time.  Even with fully vaccinated ships, people and crew are testing positive.  Thankfully since most are vaccinated there have not been major problems.  Covid is not going away anytime soon.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, jgnyc said:

I'm currently on the ship and was also onboard last week. For an orange status, 1 or more people have COVID and the ship reported that to the CDC. We don't know how many, but it's a low enough number that the CDC isn't investigating. Yet, anyway. There's a quarantine section on deck 4 and they keep people away from that area. No announcements have been made and everything is normal onboard. We all knew that COVID cases were a risk.

Or NCL did not file one or more of their daily reports correctly or on time. 

I doubt it; we went orange 3 days into the cruise and never went back to green. Given how proactive NCL has been with safety, it seems more likely that we had (or have, if it’s crew) a case onboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgnyc said:

totally wrong topic, but there another thread looking for the current La Cuchina menu!  Since you’re on the Gem now, if you had the menu or the link it would be appreciated!!  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgnyc said:

Thanks for the update! I am keeping track of cases as much as possible..we are going on the NCL Encore Nov. 14th...enjoy your cruise! Can't wait to go again...

Big Al

3 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Thankfully since most are vaccinated there have not been major problems.  

You may not be aware, but someone died a few weeks ago from the Carnival Vista. Just trying to be respectful to the deceased.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Just watched a video from La Lido Loca (check him out on Youtube).  The criteria for being orange is:

More than 0 cases of COVID or CLI (COVID-like infection) among passengers on the ship but less than 0.10% of the passengers (not sure if it's passengers or passenger capacity) anytime in the last 7 days.  So if you were on the ship and it went to orange--it will automatically be orange for 7 days because even that one case will trigger the orange color for seven days.

OR, they could have missed a filing of the form for COVID reporting, or it could have been late (due by 10:00 or 12:00 eastern time (I can't remember from the video)).

Crew cases must be zero to be orange--if crew have a case, the ship goes directly to yellow.

--Michael

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jgnyc said:

We were on the 8/15-8/22 sailing.  We missed Costa Maya due to Hurricane Grace.  How did you guys fare with Ida?  It looked like she was blocking your way from Cozumel to Mexico Fri/Saturday, though it looks like the Gem hugged Cuba pretty closely to stay away. Curious how that ride was.

5 minutes ago, Seanair said:

We were on the 8/15-8/22 sailing.  We missed Costa Maya due to Hurricane Grace.  How did you guys fare with Ida?  It looked like she was blocking your way from Cozumel to Mexico Fri/Saturday, though it looks like the Gem hugged Cuba pretty closely to stay away. Curious how that ride was.

Smooth sailing! The captain did a great job of keeping us out of rough waters. We had a bit of rain for an hour or so but we never saw or felt any big waves. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, numberguy said:

More than 0 cases of COVID or CLI (COVID-like infection) among passengers.....

I strongly believe the CDC needs distinction between Covid and CLI. Unless, of course, the CDC believes any CLI is as contagious as Covid19. The color coding system is basically useless imo. 

BTW: The two NCL ships being monitored by the CDC remain the same:

image.png.d2ae7be1ba5407d1fb2278e6cb183aa1.png

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

Edited by BermudaBound2014