Restaurant recommendations? - fresh crab

SOPOME

6 of us will be on the Sep 3 Ovation cruise, with stops in Juneau, Skagway and Sitka.

My original plan was to eat at Halibut Point Crab & Brew in Sitka, but unfortunately they are closed.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by SOPOME

• SOPOME changed the title to Restaurant recommendations? - fresh crab

You are aware that almost all the "fresh crab" that you get in AK is actually frozen.  This means that the "fresh crab" you get in AK is the same as the "fresh crab" you get in the lower 48.  The scenery and ambiance may be different but the crab is the same.  Now I believe that the fresh halibut is really fresh however.

This is completely different than the fresh lobster that you have been getting at a lobster pound or supermarket in Maine.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SOPOME said:

6 of us will be on the Sep 3 Ovation cruise, with stops in Juneau,

53 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Now I believe that the fresh halibut is really fresh however.

I can attest to that in Juneau.  Alaska Fish & Chips Co., in the same large building as Hanger on the Wharf:  the best halibut I have ever eaten.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I can attest to that in Juneau.  Alaska Fish & Chips Co., in the same large building as Hanger on the Wharf:  the best halibut I have ever eaten.  

Agree... Then after our fish-n-chips we walk to the Alaska Fudge Company  :classic_tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bottom-dragger said:

it is dungeness season and the crab is FRESH

but probably not in Nevada

True.  I should have specifically said king crab since I suspect that most of the people going on cruises want king crab.

DON

On 8/29/2021 at 8:12 PM, bottom-dragger said:

I'd love to have some, but I can't find it on any menu in the three ports we are visiting...

8 minutes ago, bottom-dragger said:

which ports? I can try to help. But as DON hinted, kings make a more grand presentation. But not as tasty.

oh, and if you have the option of pacific halibut and chips or pacific cod and chips, go with the cod. Halibut is so easy to overcook and dry out.

but opinions are free

1 hour ago, bottom-dragger said:

oh, and if you have the option of pacific halibut and chips or pacific cod and chips, go with the cod. Halibut is so easy to overcook and dry out.

but opinions are free

The halibut that I had in Juneau at the restaurant that I have recommended was perfectly cooked.  Since you are an Alaskan citizen, I need to try your recommendation of Pacific Cod and Chips.  Thanks for making that suggestion.  

From Tracy’s King Crab Shack (Juneau) FAQs:

Is this seafood fresh? Where is the seafood from?

Our King Crab is the "Deadliest Catch" from the Bristol Bay and Norton Sound. Our  Alaskan Red King Crab is caught primarily during the months of October through January.  Each crab is immediately flash frozen and packaged by the processors to keep it fresh.  Throughout the season we have opportunities to get local (king and dungeness) and fresh Norton Sound crab (snow and king) from the boats.  Ask our crabby crew about our specials. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2021 at 4:12 PM, bottom-dragger said:

I realize this won't help our OP but we were in Ketchikan during dungeness season several years ago, and feasted on a great meal at Annabelles.  My memory is that we ordered a daily special.  It was simply wonderful.

But to offer a comment which may help our OP I've thought that Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau is over-rated.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ROCruiser said:

I agree. Tracy Crab Shack is way over-rated. Will never go again for their expensive crab legs.

When I went there with the intent to patronize them, the very long line out the door discouraged me; I don't like to spend my vacation time ashore waiting in a line.  That's when I discovered the Alaska Fish & Chips Company.  No line; table waiting on me overlooking the bow of the Westerdam; good and friendly service; great food.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ROCruiser said:

I agree. Tracy Crab Shack is way over-rated. Will never go again for their expensive crab legs.

Wait, what, wait, what ??!! Tracy's is over rated?!!?  Next you'll try to tell me Alaskan Amber tastes like poo !! Well it does. Haven't had one in 30 years. I do like their White.

A quote from a few years back    ----   I don't like beer but I like Alaskan Amber   -----    one and done

still working on dungeness locations. It's seasonal so might require contacting specific restaurants or the tourist office. Frozen king crab will always be on the menu.