NCL cruise passengers quarantined in Athens for 19 days

CalTexCruiser

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

First, "If..." just means we're guessing and we don't have the facts. I'd rather pass on that.

Second, saying "Considering that the article didn't have any complaints about the quality of the hotel room" indicates that you didn't read the article because that is not a true statement.

Of course I read the article, I'm leaving on this exact cruise Thursday! The only complaints about the room I see in there are that it was tiny and the A/C had a hard time during a deadly 100+ degree heatwave. Most hotel rooms are tiny and having A/C at all in Europe is already a luxury. 

I was comparing it to these article that described far worse conditions, interestingly these articles only seem to be about British folks..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9859611/Man-tells-family-break-Greece-holiday-hell-forced-quarantine.html

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3429957/three-brit-women-quarantine-hotel-room-greece-mykonos/

11 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

Of course I read the article, I'm leaving on this exact cruise Thursday! The only complaints about the room I see in there are that it was tiny and the A/C had a hard time during a deadly 100+ degree heatwave. Most hotel rooms are tiny and having A/C at all in Europe is already a luxury. 

I was comparing it to these article that described far worse conditions, interestingly these articles only seem to be about British folks..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9859611/Man-tells-family-break-Greece-holiday-hell-forced-quarantine.html

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3429957/three-brit-women-quarantine-hotel-room-greece-mykonos/

Either you are not reading the article or we're reading different articles.

First you claimed that " the article didn't have any complaints about the quality of the hotel room", when, in fact, it did.

Now you've reversed and say "The only complaints about the room I see in there are that it was tiny and the A/C had a hard time during a deadly 100+ degree heatwave".

The article never states that there was a complaint that the room was "tiny". The word tiny wasn't even used in the article. Please screen shot and post where it is that you see this complaint.

The article also says "they had difficulty with the air conditioner in their room amid a heatwave that Greece was experiencing". No mention of "deadly" or "100+ degrees" as you state.

I just don't understand why we can't just discuss what was actually said without making up claims that are not there or trying to ramp up the drama with scare phrases like "deadly" and "100+ degrees" that were also not a part of the article.

Again...this is where disinformation starts...and we all need to stop the disinformation.

It should also be pointed out that this couple wasn't quarantined in this room for 19 days.

The article clearly states that they were quarantined twice, once for 10 days and again LATER for 7 days...in DIFFERENT hotels. The article also states that they spend a total of 19 days in hotels, but only 17 under quarantine. 

5 hours ago, JennJ99738 said:

I'm confused by this comment.  They were quarantined for so long because they continued to test positive.  Once they tested negative, they were released from quarantine, did some sightseeing and flew home.  So what would you have had Greece do?  The couple would not be able to board the plane back to the U.S. without a negative test. 

I agree completely. Once they tested positive they were going to be quarantined until they tested negative. Makes perfect sense.

My point was that it seems most people (and insurance companies) only plan for a 10 day quarantine at the worst. It's necessary for travelers to realize that they can't be sure they will test negative test after 10 days. In this case it was 17 days, but had they tested positive after 17 days, it would have been pushing in on a month in 'solitary confinement' (their terms). IMO, understanding that there is no limit to number of days in quarantine is worthy of noting especially for anyone that has a job to return to.

True story, I have a collogue who tested positive for 12 weeks after contracting covid. Three whole months! Can you imagine being confined for 3 months in a Greek Hotel room? I like feta cheese but yikes. I'm not saying the scenario is likely, but I doubt the couple in the article planned for 17 days of quarantine. IMO anything is possible with covid.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Either you are not reading the article or we're reading different articles.

First you claimed that " the article didn't have any complaints about the quality of the hotel room", when, in fact, it did.

Now you've reversed and say "The only complaints about the room I see in there are that it was tiny and the A/C had a hard time during a deadly 100+ degree heatwave".

The article never states that there was a complaint that the room was "tiny". The word tiny wasn't even used in the article. Please screen shot and post where it is that you see this complaint.

The article also says "they had difficulty with the air conditioner in their room amid a heatwave that Greece was experiencing". No mention of "deadly" or "100+ degrees" as you state.

I just don't understand why we can't just discuss what was actually said without making up claims that are not there or trying to ramp up the drama with scare phrases like "deadly" and "100+ degrees" that were also not a part of the article.

Again...this is where disinformation starts...and we all need to stop the disinformation.

Are you serious? I take it you did not read all the news articles about the heatwave and fires in Greece over the last few weeks? I guess the people who lost their homes and lives would beg to differ. 

3 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

However, if you cruise out of a domestic US port that you drive to ,say Galveston or LA, and you test positive , then you can just go home to quarantine.

If you drove to the port. If you have the money to pay for a private medical air charter to take you home. You can't fly on commercial air. You can't take a AMTRAK. You can't rent a car. You can't take a taxi or Uber. 

NCL passenger or not, it's definitely worth keeping in mind for ANY international travel. Unless you are driving yourself, you are going to be stuck until you test negative because if your only means home is a plane that requires a negative test, you are going to be SOL unless the airline has an opt out for recent COVID infection. So it's just wise to consider this no matter how/where you travel. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Are you serious? I take it you did not read all the news articles about the heatwave and fires in Greece over the last few weeks? I guess the people who lost their homes and lives would beg to differ. 

Yes, I am serious. Are you?

The topic being discussed on this thread is the one article referenced by the OP. You made claims about that article, claims that you can't back up. You tried to add drama when none was present.

First it was "no problems", then it was "tiny rooms and deadly 100+ degree heatwaves", and now its "have you read all the articles". Sheesh, quit flailing and stick to the topic. If you read some other article not linked by the OP that discuss this particular situation, then link to them at the time you make your claims.

Or just stop with the disinformation. 

11 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Yes, I am serious. Are you?

The topic being discussed on this thread is the one article referenced by the OP. You made claims about that article, claims that you can't back up. You tried to add drama when none was present.

First it was "no problems", then it was "tiny rooms and deadly 100+ degree heatwaves", and now its "have you read all the articles". Sheesh, quit flailing and stick to the topic. If you read some other article not linked by the OP that discuss this particular situation, then link to them at the time you make your claims.

Or just stop with the disinformation. 

Or you could try googling and informing yourself instead of assuming everything is fake news or expecting everyone to hand feed you additional context of what has happened in Greece recently 🤷‍♀️

The article has been updated since I first read it yesterday and the info about the size of the room that I referred to is no longer there. Perhaps someone else read it too before it was changed and can comment, but somehow I doubt it’s that important to anyone but you! 

8 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Or you could try googling and informing yourself instead of assuming everything is fake news or expecting everyone to hand feed you additional context of what has happened in Greece recently 🤷‍♀️

The article has been updated since I first read it yesterday and the info about the size of the room that I referred to is no longer there. Perhaps someone else read it too before it was changed and can comment, but somehow I doubt it’s that important to anyone but you! 

No need to Google anything. The article being discussed is linked by the OP and is available for all to read. That very article is date-timestamped by Newsweek indicating that the article has not been changed, so please don't try the "it was there, but now its gone" excuse. Just own the fact that you made stuff up that just wasn't there. The very definition of misinformation.

8 minutes ago, gud2seau said:

I had thought as part of NCLs sail safe policy, they would have chartered them a flight home had they been on the ship.  Is that not what NCL has stated?

Found the answer to my own question.  Looks like they will cover everything.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line's health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home.”

41 minutes ago, gud2seau said:

Found the answer to my own question.  Looks like they will cover everything.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line's health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home.”

This policy (which is similar to Celebrity's) covers guests who test positive "during their cruise".

The couple who were quarantined never made it onto their cruise, having tested positive before they got on and so were quarantined by the Greek authorities.

I have heard reports of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean flying COVID positive guests by private charter to the US (such as from St Maarten and Bahamas) when they tested positive during the cruise, but have not heard any cruise line doing the private charter from a European country back to the USA.  Hopefully that's the case.

The language "required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home" leaves a  lot of wiggle room for NCL--it is broad enough to allow NCL to quarantine a COVID positive guest at a hotel in Greece until the guest tests negative and then NCL will arrange for the flight back home, instead of flying the person by private charter. 

21 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Absolutely agree with you that it's hard to keep up with the ever changing rules but having said that if people don't realize with all the information that is available that the chances of something going awry are very real then that's on them.  Risk vs Reward.  

I don't disagree with the above statement, however I do respectfully disagree with your statement that the article was "hardly newsworthy". It was the first I read of a personal experience with an extended quarantine in Greece and I feel reasonably knowledgeable about the risk vs reward to travel right now. I suspect many people are not as knowledgeable as those of us who follow cc regularly.  I think it's important to encourage all articles so that travelers can continue to make informed decisions as the landscape continues to change.