The Daily for Thursday September 02, 2021

richwmn

@Quartzsite Cruiserthank you for all the great photos of your visit outside Iraklion.  Nice tour!

@sailingdutchywhat an absolutely heartbreaking story from your daughter!  I hope she can reschedule her visit to you very soon, but in the meantime they have a lot of work to repair, replace, and clean up the mess left behind.   Prayers for her family and neighbors who are also suffering.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Yesterday DS sent a picture of our twin DGC heading off to Fifth Grade....they  did mot

want to do the posing by the patio doors but gave in.They will be 11 soon..

Terry

5341.jpeg

Cute kids.

35 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sweet photos of the twins' first day back to school.  My DD teaches 4th (or sometimes 5th) grade students and she loves that age.  They still adore their teachers!

Her baby Austin is 13 years old today and this was his first day back to school last week.  8th grade Catholic school.  enhance

Looks like he's got a Beatle's haircut this year!  

Good looking boy.

31 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
Today was going to be such a wonderful day when after 19 months our DD was coming home to visit us from Rye, NY until I saw the warnings last evening on my iPad of flash flooding and tornado warnings in her area because of the tropical storm Ida.

After I emailed her at about midnight and asked if they were OK there I received a message back half an hour later : Dad I can not come tomorrow our home is like an island with water all around us the water is about two and a half feet high the brand new car of our DSIL has water up to the door handles and the new 3 door garage is surrounded by a couple of feet of water . The crawlspace below the house has a couple of feet of water and some water is seeping into one of the windows ……..

About 15.000 homes in Rye according to police estimates are under water and they told us to shelter into place. The crawl space where the furnace is is filled with water and we can’t go down there due to live wires . We are unable to flush toilets and don’t trust tap water ……….

Sorry dad I have to cancel my flight ………….

Natascha 

😢😢

I'm sorry about your DD having to cancel her visit and bout all the flooding they are experiencing.  I hope they get everything resolved soon.

7 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@sailingdutchy. I  am  so  sorry  to  hear  about  the  situation  in  your  DD's  home. My  DSIL  has  been  in  the  basement  several  hours  trying  to  get  the  water  out here  but  we  still  have  electricity.The  Rye  and  Mamaroneck  flooding as  well  as  Port  Chester are  very  bad. I  have  lived  here  67  years  and  have  never  seen  flooding  like  this.

Hope you  don't have too much flood damage.

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning.  I'm really enjoying the photos of Iraklion, or Heraklion.  We have not been there and it looks lovely.

Coconut is DH's favorite flavor.  He always has coconut cake for his birthday.

We have a lot of busy days coming -- guests for Labor Day, clean house and get our house sitter settled in, then, if all goes well,  skip out and see what Alaska has to offer.  😊

With all that, I'm going to be stepping away from the computer for a bit.  

With all the bizarre weather and Delta surge and so much else, my prayers are with all for safety, health  and a peaceful household.  And I'll be toasting the celebrating members of the Daily family.  Take care, All   🌻   🌻   🌻

And add that just as I was posting this, I spy some ADORABLE fifth graders @smitty34877  😍

Enjoy your company and have a great cruise.  Looking forward to a report when you get back.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
Today was going to be such a wonderful day when after 19 months our DD was coming home to visit us from Rye, NY until I saw the warnings last evening on my iPad of flash flooding and tornado warnings in her area because of the tropical storm Ida.

After I emailed her at about midnight and asked if they were OK there I received a message back half an hour later : Dad I can not come tomorrow our home is like an island with water all around us the water is about two and a half feet high the brand new car of our DSIL has water up to the door handles and the new 3 door garage is surrounded by a couple of feet of water . The crawlspace below the house has a couple of feet of water and some water is seeping into one of the windows ……..

About 15.000 homes in Rye according to police estimates are under water and they told us to shelter into place. The crawl space where the furnace is is filled with water and we can’t go down there due to live wires . We are unable to flush toilets and don’t trust tap water ……….

Natascha 

😢😢

Terrible news.  Hope things dry up soon.  Sending prayers to everyone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! I love coconut. My favourites are carrot cake with coconut, macaroons, and whole, filled with something containing rum, served under an umbrella on a tropical beach. Not necessarily in that order. Calendar adjustment day is fitting, as DD will,have just crossed the international date line this morning. Whole roasted cauliflower makes a good side dish at a company meal. It also looks impressive, implying the outlay of much skill and effort when there was not.

Thank goodness all our Dailyites seem to have escaped the worst of Ida! DDs roommate was flying back to Taiwan from New York last night. Her car couldn’t make it to the airport on the flooded roads, so a friend with a Jeep drove her. The 30 minute drive took two hours, and she was late. However, her plane was 3 hours late so it didn’t matter. Shortly after, the mayor of New York closed the roads to all but emergency vehicles. 

Yesterday was DDs last day in Canada, and we made the most of it. There was also a lot of last minute panic packing. It seems awfully empty here today.

Happy Thursday! I wish I was crossing the international date line on a BHB!

7DE1BB87-BEE3-4F9B-9A64-B3A4B3F9D449.thumb.jpeg.f4e2cc196b34dc561d203eefb5f665fd.jpeg

• Like 17

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. After a horrible night of rain and tornado watches, the sun is shining. I came out in the dark last night to check to make sure water wasn’t coming in through the glass patio door and managed to fall. I had my flashlight but it didn’t work and I didn’t want to wake the aide by turning on the light. I had a horrible night, slept 4 hours , and am in a lot of pain. The aide helped me get up. Thankfully, because I didn’t 911 in the terrible rain.   I called to cancel my hygienist appointment and found out she can’t come in because of flooding on rt.  1 and the office has no power. 
My LA grandson just landed at JFK and is taking an Uber home because his dads car, parked in a garage is flooded. 
Sam has PT this morning and I will have to drive him there and back if they are open. I might ask a neighbor to drop him off. It’s right outside the gate to our development but the staff still has to get there.

Stay safe out there in this crazy world,

Carol

Oh Carol, you should definitely get checked out! Be careful taking Sam to PT, if, as you say, they are even open today!

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Natascha 

😢😢

How horrible, Tony. Though I am glad they are ok, I am sure you are disappointed. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

September 2, 2016 was a sea day on Crystal Serenity.  I have no photo for my alternate menu selections, Chicken consume with Herb-Butter Quinette, Grilled Black Angus Rib Eye Steak with Gratinated Potato and Sauteed Green Beans and Strawberry Ice Cream.  Here's the raw menu:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/menu0902.pdf

This is pretty much the core of our Northwest Passage and I will post a photo from an honorary menu selection.  We had some "Unexpected Adventures", impromptu Zodiac cruises picked at the last minute based on what was currently happening.  On this one we were served hot chocolate by a crew rotating from zodiac to zodiac:

serencrocker3.jpg

Think of it as kind of the equivalent of pea soup in Glacier Bay.

Roy

• Like 24

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is another chilly start here in northeast Ohio, but the sun is shining brightly, so the day holds promise.  I've got nothing planned for today except perhaps a dash to the grocery store to get some fresh veggies.  I am trying to maintain a low profile and not risk exposure in the time leading up to my COVID test for our cruise.   

I found a couple versions of today's meal.   This one looks rather festive and would be a great dish to have on a holiday table.   https://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/whole-roasted-cauliflowr-with-pomegranate-tahini-sauce-recipe/

whole-roasted-cauliflower-with-pomegranate-tahini-sauce-and-raisins-hazelnuts_89-web-2.thumb.jpg.8847b1f6dbd7885fdf668b17fa5311a5.jpg

Prayers for those affected by Ida.  I'm glad all of our Dailyites were spared in yesterday's tornadoes.  

Probably won't get time tomorrow but wanted to wish you an early bon voyage, we'll take good care of the NA for you!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

Natascha 

😢😢

Sorry to hear about your DD’s situation 😔 

There’s a LOT of water in this storm and sadly a lot of flooding.  The North East has been hit very hard sad 😢  I hope they can get some help with their basement & live wires 🙏🏻 

I told my DS & BIL to get out of New Brunswick yesterday so they wouldn’t be caught in this mess here today.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy Anniversary!

@mamaofami I’m so relieved you feel better, but seeing a doctor is still a good idea! You’ve been through so much lately, you really need to think of YOU as well!

@sailingdutchyIm so sorry to hear your reunion with your DD is postponed. Her situation is worrisome, and there’s nothing you can do for her right now, which is hard. Prayers that they come through this safely.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sweet photos of the twins' first day back to school.  My DD teaches 4th (or sometimes 5th) grade students and she loves that age.  They still adore their teachers!

Her baby Austin is 13 years old today and this was his first day back to school last week.  8th grade Catholic school.  enhance

Looks like he's got a Beatle's haircut this year!  

5th was Dear Mom's favorite grade to teach.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you for your sweet comments about my grandsons -- I adore them!  So cute about the high schoolers!!!  That will definitely be our boys in a few years. 😂

It isn't our anniversary -- I think maybe Roy @rafinmdmixed me up with Quartzsite Cruiser (?)  It will be our anniversary later this month on the 27th though and we hope to be celebrating it in the Med on the Eurodam!  An early happy anniversary to you and your DH!

Oops!  Happy Anniversary, Quartzite Cruiser.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Probably won't get time tomorrow but wanted to wish you an early bon voyage, we'll take good care of the NA for you!

If you aren’t around tomorrow, have a great cruise, Bruno. Let us know how long you were able to hide the upgrade from your Dear Dad, and how he reacted when he found out!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, a quick check in today.  It's our last full day at home before we sail.  We lost yesterday, the covid tests were a full day endeavor.   Only have today and tomorrow morning to finish the last of the packing and other odds/ends.

Prayers to all that are having weather challenges.  Thoughts and prayers for everything/everyone else.  Thanks to all the listers.  Please keep us in your prayers for a safe cruise.  

Will check in again upon our return, with some pictures I hope. 

Have a great Labor/Labour Day weekend everyone!

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

If you aren’t around tomorrow, have a great cruise, Bruno. Let us know how long you were able to hide the upgrade from your Dear Dad, and how he reacted when he found out!

Thanks!

He still doesn't know, I have all the luggage tags and documents, I really don't think he's going to figure out something is up until we step off the elevator on deck 7 instead of 4. 

• Like 15

Roy, could you put irishjim on the Care list in a few days?

He’s started a thread for prayers.  Goes in for cancer surgery in his ear.

Copied and pasted “

Will have  it done 14th september at 10am . I will be in hospital for 2 nights then home and start 4 weeks radiation treatment.

A chance I may lose part of my ear or the whole thing but ”

• Like 11
  • Thanks 11

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

Natascha 

😢😢

Oh, my goodness.   I hope the waters recede quickly and that insurance covers most of the losses.  At least for now you know she is safe.  That is the most important thing.  Cars and furnaces can be replaced.  Your Natascha cannot.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, atexsix said:

That is so sweet.   I hope your cruise is absolutely wonderful!   Relax and don't sweat the small stuff. I hope DD enjoys the surprise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Oops!  Happy Anniversary, Quartzite Cruiser.

Roy

Thanks for the good wishes.

I'm surprised with all that is posted to be included in both lists, you can keep everything in order as well as you do.

Lenda

PS I would prefer the hot chocoate to the pea soup anyday.  😁

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 8