Encore-Alaska-Oct 2nd to Oct 9th, 2021

graphicguy

On 9/2/2021 at 6:40 PM, Red-Sol said:

I completely understand the negative feelings regarding corporate...BUT...at least for me the overall vibe of NCL keeps pulling me back in! 😉 Welcome back...(Even if short lived)

Hola!

Hope we can cruise out of NYC soon!

• Like 2

On 9/13/2021 at 5:11 PM, Arzeena said:

Hola!

Hope we can cruise out of NYC soon!

While it isn't exactly soon....Right now NCL has a 12 day cruise on Getaway scheduled January 8th 2023....sounds so far away but at least right now it seems like the closest thing similar to the 14 day Winter cruises out of NYC to the Caribbean that we all love. Haven't actually booked it yet but am about to. Here's the itinerary: Hoping to see lots of familiar folks on that cruise!

Capture.PNG

• Like 3

On 9/5/2021 at 2:49 PM, graphicguy said:

OK....now I feel like a total newbie.  Out of all my cruises, I've never sailed to Alaska.  October weather looks like 50º-60º?  Is that a fair assumption?  Is it rainy?  What to pack?  Assuming jeans and hoodies would be fine?  Maybe a rain jacket?

Appreciate the help and any insight provided.

Going up and going back to Alaska will add high winds to the temperatures,  and if you want to stay outside to really enjoy Glacier Bay, I would take good thermal underwear, and I take a good rain jacket and rain pants to keep out the cold and wind--I wear long johns under rain pants--think what an Alaskan fisherman would wear.  Cold and wind go right through jeans, especially if you're outside on Glacier Bay, especially if they open the very front of the ship, where  you're close to the water and get incredible views but the most wind and cold from ice. Rain pants and long johns also help on a whale watching boat, particularly if it's raining--you don't want to watch whales from inside. Some ships give out blankets, but people are still usually too cold to stay outside much, and the oceanfront walk is fairly deserted on the trip to and from Alaska, but is perfect for watching whales and scenery. On Alaska trips the observation lounge gets extremely packed, with people camping out all day on the couches and loungers, so having good cold-weather clothing allows you to go outside to bars and for exercise and to get fresh, safe air. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, rj59 said:

Going up and going back to Alaska will add high winds to the temperatures,  and if you want to stay outside to really enjoy Glacier Bay, I would take good thermal underwear, and I take a good rain jacket and rain pants to keep out the cold and wind--I wear long johns under rain pants--think what an Alaskan fisherman would wear.  Cold and wind go right through jeans, especially if you're outside on Glacier Bay, especially if they open the very front of the ship, where  you're close to the water and get incredible views but the most wind and cold from ice. Rain pants and long johns also help on a whale watching boat, particularly if it's raining--you don't want to watch whales from inside. Some ships give out blankets, but people are still usually too cold to stay outside much, and the oceanfront walk is fairly deserted on the trip to and from Alaska, but is perfect for watching whales and scenery. On Alaska trips the observation lounge gets extremely packed, with people camping out all day on the couches and loungers, so having good cold-weather clothing allows you to go outside to bars and for exercise and to get fresh, safe air. 

Great info.  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

GF pulled this pic up last night as the last NCL cruise (actually last cruise for her) we took 2 years ago on the Breakaway.  I think this was in O'Sheehans.  Not sure what they're calling this now.

Lisacruise088.webp

Great Pic! I'm not sure if O'Sheehans has been renamed on all ships that have it or not...but I think on the ones that have been renamed it is called "The Local" or something like that.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 5:49 PM, graphicguy said:

OK....now I feel like a total newbie.  Out of all my cruises, I've never sailed to Alaska.  October weather looks like 50º-60º?  Is that a fair assumption?  Is it rainy?  What to pack?  Assuming jeans and hoodies would be fine?  Maybe a rain jacket?

Appreciate the help and any insight provided.

for a first cruise I would always advise May or June or early July.  The weather is nicer, the snow packed mountains are beautiful and great for doing the Skagway train.  Also, the days are longer.

Sept and Oct can be more rain and less daylight.  All this week every ship that went to Juneau had lousy rain and clouds.  Today I looked at PTZ webcam and the weather is very nice but NO ships in port.  too bad in a way.  

However, if you are going, wear layers as the day will start coldish and change a couple of times before you get back to ship at 6pm.

@graphicguyjust wanted to check back in after my Encore 9/4 sailing and tell you that you MUST try Onda. It was amazing. All four of us had a different appetizer and they were all wonderful. 2 of the group had the filet that must have been 4 inches thick and cooked perfectly, while 2 of us had the tagliatelle with lobster, which was also very tasty.  3 different desserts (pistachio cheesecake, which was proclaimed better than expected), tiramisu and I had the Butterscotch Budino, which was even better than the last time.

But to top it all off, the waitstaff brought us a pizza, which we didn't order, and it was by far the best thing we ate on the ship.  We talked about this pizza for the rest of the cruise and were trying to figure out when we would have time to get another one (we didn't...I even asked the F&B manager if we could get one for lunch but of course the answer was no). I don't know the name of it but it starts with an M and has prosciutto on it.  If you only go to one specialty restaurant, make it Onda and get this pizza!

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

for a first cruise I would always advise May or June or early July.  The weather is nicer, the snow packed mountains are beautiful and great for doing the Skagway train.  Also, the days are longer.

Sept and Oct can be more rain and less daylight.  All this week every ship that went to Juneau had lousy rain and clouds.  Today I looked at PTZ webcam and the weather is very nice but NO ships in port.  too bad in a way.  

However, if you are going, wear layers as the day will start coldish and change a couple of times before you get back to ship at 6pm.

There’s a theme emerging.  Layer up and wear waterproof shoes.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

@graphicguyjust wanted to check back in after my Encore 9/4 sailing and tell you that you MUST try Onda. It was amazing. All four of us had a different appetizer and they were all wonderful. 2 of the group had the filet that must have been 4 inches thick and cooked perfectly, while 2 of us had the tagliatelle with lobster, which was also very tasty.  3 different desserts (pistachio cheesecake, which was proclaimed better than expected), tiramisu and I had the Butterscotch Budino, which was even better than the last time.

But to top it all off, the waitstaff brought us a pizza, which we didn't order, and it was by far the best thing we ate on the ship.  We talked about this pizza for the rest of the cruise and were trying to figure out when we would have time to get another one (we didn't...I even asked the F&B manager if we could get one for lunch but of course the answer was no). I don't know the name of it but it starts with an M and has prosciutto on it.  If you only go to one specialty restaurant, make it Onda and get this pizza!

Thanks….sounds like ONDA is a specialty MUST.  We’ll put that on our “must do” list!

Edited by graphicguy

10 minutes ago, odie1024 said:

Be careful, I tried to open this and McAfee would not allow it, said it had a virus.

Hmmmm...it came directly from NCL and is a PDF...no exe at all.  I did a scan before posting and there was nothing untoward found.  McAfee has some weird virus definitions and I'd say they were wrong.

Here's the text, in any event....

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: NORWEGIAN ENCORE EMBARKATION

September 22, 2021

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has important information regarding sailings departing from Seattle aboard Norwegian Encore. Travel partners should share the below information with guests who may be affected.

As you prepare for your upcoming sailing, we want to ensure that your embarkation process runs smoothly and inform you of the following important requirements for your cruise.

Before You Travel/Prior to Leaving Home:

• ·  All guests must fully complete online check-in and select a port arrival time, which will become available as soon as 21 days and

up to 3 days before the cruise embarkation date.

• ·  Due to limited capacity in the terminals at the cruise port of Seattle, port arrival times selected during online check in will be strictly

enforced.

• ·  If arriving at the cruise port directly from the Seattle airport, please keep in mind when selecting a port arrival time that the driving

distance is approximately 45 minutes.

o Luggage tags must be attached to each piece of luggage when arriving at the port to expedite the baggage drop-off

process.

• ·  We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a

PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel. Please note that many countries are now requiring this, and requirements vary based on guest nationality, so we strongly urge you to check the official website of the country you are flying to or connecting through before travelling in order to comply with their requirements.

• ·  As a reminder, all guests are responsible for checking on travel restrictions and complying with all requirements. NCL
    recommends for all guests to follow, and where possible, sign up for notifications from their local government on international travel regulations that may prevent, restrict, or require additional documentation when traveling to another country for embarkation or during their cruise.

Upon Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:

· All guests will receive a COVID-19 antigen test upon arrival and will wait in the designated area until the results are received.

o Please note: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 72-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of their travel date.

§ Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

· To speed up the COVID-19 testing process, we strongly encourage all guests to register with our testing provider, Eurofins, prior to their cruise date. Registration information will be provided within a separate communication.

o Doing this will minimize your boarding wait and get your vacation started sooner!

• ·  All guests are required to be fully vaccinated, at least 2 weeks prior to departure, and must show proof of vaccination at the

terminal in order to board the vessel. For information regarding what vaccines will be accepted, click here.

• ·  Finally, guests must have all of the necessary documentation, such as proof of vaccination and passport, readily available to

present to the check-in staff upon arrival.

o For further information on required travel documentation, click here.

Failure to comply with the above requirements will unfortunately result in denial of embarkation. Guests who are denied embarkation or reboarding for failure to comply with Norwegian Cruise Line’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. For more information, please click here.

As government regulations evolve, our health and safety protocols will evolve as needed to ensure compliance. This may mean different protocols from ship to ship based on local state or port requirements or in an abundance of caution to keep our guests and crew as safe as possible.

For additional information on all you need to know to prepare for an amazing vacation ahead, click here. Thank you for your attention, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Vice President, Guest Services

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

This is about the 3rd reminder about COVID testing I've received.  Got this one this a.m.  Sailing this weekend.  They are serious about this.... 😉

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line. As previously communicated, all guests are required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Please ensure you complete this registration no later than 24 hours prior to sailing. Your personal registration can be completed by clicking here. Register. If you have already completed the required registration, please disregard this email. Sincerely, Norwegian Cruise Line Please do not reply to this email.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

This is about the 3rd reminder about COVID testing I've received.  Got this one this a.m.  Sailing this weekend.  They are serious about this.... 😉

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line. As previously communicated, all guests are required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Please ensure you complete this registration no later than 24 hours prior to sailing. Your personal registration can be completed by clicking here. Register. If you have already completed the required registration, please disregard this email. Sincerely, Norwegian Cruise Line Please do not reply to this email.

You are getting so close! I hope you have a wonderful cruise! It’s supposed to be sunny-ish this weekend in Seattle. 

• Like 1

Well…..this is a first.  Was just informed we did not win an upgrade bid via email.  Usually, they don’t let you know unless you win the upgrade.  Not surprising, given we bid the minimum.

Unfortunately, we were not able to accept your offer to upgrade to Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Large Balcony (HE) for your cruise below.

Sail Date Ship Offer per guest
Oct 02, 2021 Norwegian Encore $650 USD per person
(only the first and second guest will be charged)