I Expect HAL to Announce Change to their Covid testing to be just 2 days

LAFFNVEGAS

7 hours ago, Taters said:

For those cruising out of San Diego, we were able to book appointments for tests with Carbon Health at the San Diego airport upon our arrival on 11/26/2021.  

https://carbonhealth.com/covid-19-travel-clearance-san-diego-airport?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=san-diego-airport&utm_content=website

This may be a great option for folks.

Thanks for the reference; I have some questions:

--Your cruise is after 10/31/21, are you assuming the requirement will go past that date (probably will)?

--When you make the appt., do you have to pay (I assume you do)? If so, do they offer a refund if the test is no longer required?

--Their location is at the airport, but in the Cargo area of Delta. How do you plan to get there w/o a car? Taxi?

I just was at their site and the booking schedule only goes to Nov. 30th (our cruise is on 12/5/21); I assume it will run later as time goes by. I was surprised it goes out that long.

Edited by PSR
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, farjar said:

Just received this about our upcoming cruise.  Sounds like it is not just Holland but all cruise lines.

"Dear Holland America Line Guest:

We look forward to welcoming you on board for your upcoming cruise.

We are writing to advise you that pursuant to updated directives from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we have updated our pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements for cruises departing between September 18 and October 31, 2021.

All fully vaccinated guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically observed PCR or antigen test) taken within TWO days of their embarkation on all Holland America Line U.S. sailings. This is an update to our previously communicated requirement of three days prior to embarkation.

Guests will be required to provide proof of this negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed on board.

For U.S. guests, Holland America Line has partnered with Quest Diagnostics to provide over 1,500 locations in the United States to schedule a no-cost* COVID-19 test appointment, with results delivered within 48 hours. Click here to find a testing location near you. *This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government.

We realize some of our guests are having a challenge getting a pre-cruise COVID-19 test, especially considering this new guidance. We are working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure. We are still finalizing the details and will announce those shortly. Holland America Line will be subsidizing the infrastructure of the mobile testing sites, but the company providing the testing will charge a per person fee (to be established). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. You should consider this as a back-up alternative should you not receive your test results back in time. If you bring proof of testing without results to the pier, Holland America Line will test you at no charge. Guests who arrive without a negative test result will experience a delayed embarkation and risk denied boarding and subject to quarantine should a positive result be returned. The mobile labs will either be in or adjacent to our terminals, or within walking distance.

Additionally, guests are strongly encouraged to test before leaving home if departing prior to the mandatory maximum testing period (two days before embarkation for cruises departing from a U.S. port).

Please check our Travel Well Frequently Asked Questions for further details on our updated testing requirements and onboard protocols.

We are hopeful these requirements will be temporary, and we appreciate your cooperation and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Kind regards,

Holland America Line"

Thank you for posting the notice in its entirety. 

2 hours ago, Cruiz'nBaers said:

My head has been hurting since this morning’s email about the new 2 day covid PCR test.  The Quest Diagnostics link from HAL doesn’t really give the location of a lab near me that is participating with the program.  I have talked to several people affiliated with Quest who told me the PCR test is not a rapid result test, the results typically come back in 24-48 hours, but can take 5 days.  We are due to sail October 23 and are flying in on the 22nd.  The email said testing will be available at the port for a select few whose test results weren’t in on time, how few and how those are selected seems not very clear.   I will try calling again after the holiday weekend, but, I’m not feeling optimistic right now. The 3 day timeframe seemed a bit tight, now this 2 day requirement seems very hard.  I need a Lemon Drop martini.

I hear ya, and I was starting to stress as well about my upcoming cruise.  I followed the emed recommendation and ordered home tests that they will monitor, just to help set my mind at ease.  You might want to consider it as well.  

2 hours ago, Cruiz'nBaers said:

My head has been hurting since this morning’s email about the new 2 day covid PCR test.  ...  The email said testing will be available at the port for a select few whose test results weren’t in on time, how few and how those are selected seems not very clear.  .... The 3 day timeframe seemed a bit tight, now this 2 day requirement seems very hard.  I need a Lemon Drop martini.

Look - Just go order the Abbott BinaxNow test 

6 Pack from eMed.com $150 - they FexEx the package to you

or a 1, 2 or 3 pack from https://store.optum.com (Also administered by eMed)

Take the test (~30 minutes), get the results via email or via their app in 15 minutes, and be done with it.

At about $25 per test, you can take one 3-4 days in advance to get practice, and and verify you are ,in fact, not infested. and then do the Run for Record 2 days before your embarkation. 

Easy peazy.

But - I still recommend the Lemon Drop Martini- Daily

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

Take the test (~30 minutes), get the results via email or via their app in 15 minutes, and be done with it.

At about $25 per test, you can take one 3-4 days in advance to get practice, and and verify you are ,in fact, not infested. and then do the Run for Record 2 days before your embarkation. 

Easy peazy.

Absolutely agree!  This is by far the simplest solution to cruise testing I have found.

• Like 1

If cruising out of San Diego the carbon health at San Diego airport travel clearance test location guarantees next day result .  Remember it’s the carbon health travel clearance location not the regular clinics .   However it is not cheap 

42 minutes ago, Timbers said:

If cruising out of San Diego the carbon health at San Diego airport travel clearance test location guarantees next day result .  Remember it’s the carbon health travel clearance location not the regular clinics .   However it is not cheap 

See post #79 above---nothing else looks cheaper or less stressful!!!  Thanks @RGEDad and all the others who told us about these Abbot BinaxNow tests!!!

~Nancy

7 hours ago, Timbers said:

By 2 day it does mean that if cruise leaves Sunday you can be tested Friday or Saturday ( 2 days before the cruise day ) 

Yes.  And in fact you can get tested Sunday IF you can get the results back in time of course.

9 hours ago, RGEDad said:

Easy peazy.

HAL uses the phrase "medically observed" in reference to the required pre-cruise testing. I'm not sure at home tests meet this requirement. Having said that, the personnel at the check-in counter at the pier are contract employees and may not pay too much attention to the details of where the test was performed. Just a caution it could be an issue. 

Edited by TJR_0323

31 minutes ago, TJR_0323 said:

HAL uses the phrase "medically observed" in reference to the required pre-cruise testing. I'm not sure at home tests meet this requirement. Having said that, the personnel at the check-in counter at the pier are contract employees and may not pay too much attention to the details of where the test was performed. Just a caution it could be an issue. 

The BinaxNow covid 19 AG Card test is medically observed. Thats why a forward facing camera on a smart phone or a computer with a camera is required

31 minutes ago, TJR_0323 said:

The test ordered from eMed ARE medically observed. they watch you open the box the carton states "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL INSTRUCTED" they watch you open the package, take the sample and then, after a 15-20 minute period, come back, read the sample - and send you the results. 

People taking Carnival and RCL cruises have all reported that they are accepted - read those CC Sites. (And i am sure the HAL sites are about to be filled with the first HAL cruises in Alaska reporting.

eMed tests are accepted (and partnered with) United, American, and one other airline who need to get their passengers traveling - Imagine being in some foreign country and needing a test to get Home - Oh wait - I will need that in a couple of months. The HAL ships will test at disembarkation if you want/need - but if you hang around for a bit over there you will need a current test to fly back.

This is a quote from the HAL notification we received posted above in #77.  Sounds to me like you can test at a location close to your home within 2 days of embarkation, bring proof of your testing and if you haven't received those results in time HAL will retest you for free.  If you can show you made an effort within the time frame to comply and it is not your fault you haven't received a negative test result back then HAL will test at no charge.

We realize some of our guests are having a challenge getting a pre-cruise COVID-19 test, especially considering this new guidance. We are working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure. We are still finalizing the details and will announce those shortly. Holland America Line will be subsidizing the infrastructure of the mobile testing sites, but the company providing the testing will charge a per person fee (to be established). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. You should consider this as a back-up alternative should you not receive your test results back in time. If you bring proof of testing without results to the pier, Holland America Line will test you at no charge. 

16 hours ago, PSR said:

Thanks for the reference; I have some questions:

--Your cruise is after 10/31/21, are you assuming the requirement will go past that date (probably will)?

--When you make the appt., do you have to pay (I assume you do)? If so, do they offer a refund if the test is no longer required?

--Their location is at the airport, but in the Cargo area of Delta. How do you plan to get there w/o a car? Taxi?

I just was at their site and the booking schedule only goes to Nov. 30th (our cruise is on 12/5/21); I assume it will run later as time goes by. I was surprised it goes out that long.

To answer your questions:

1. I am aware that the new 2 day testing protocol only runs through 10/31/2021 and may change by the time of my cruise on 11/28/2021.  I can cancel this appointment if needed.

2. I did not have to pay when I made the appointment.  They will collect payment at the testing site.

3. I am not sure how I will get to the testing site, but since it is at the airport and so many people are getting the tests, if it is away from the terminal, then there may be a shuttle or I can take a cab there.  This is the least of my worries.  At my home airport (FAI) the testing site is located in the baggage claim area, so I imagine that the SAN testing site will be pretty easy to find.

Edited by Taters

On 9/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Ugggg, great, more pressure.  Do you think this covid testing will end by October or do you expect it to last until at least year end?  Just looking for your feeling not a concrete answer.  Thx.

Some predictors of the Delta Variant say that mid October will be the peak in the US.  Based upon that, we could see testing continue until after this variant has subsided.  IMO.  

7 hours ago, TJR_0323 said:

This IS a medically supervised test. You call in to their designated number. An approved observer monitors your testing procedure. We have done this for previous trips. It IS acceptable and the good news is, it's NOT a deep nasal test!! YAY!

To anyone who has ordered the BinaxNow Covid 19 AG Card test from Optum. I am thinking about purchasing the two pack option as a backup in case our scheduled tests falls through. However, when you select this option on the Optum website they only allow you to enter one name. Do you know if we each have to purchase a two pack (or the one six pack that is for multiple people), or can we use one test each in the two pack? 

Thanks - Jerry

4 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Some predictors of the Delta Variant say that mid October will be the peak in the US.  Based upon that, we could see testing continue until after this variant has subsided.  IMO.  

I hope that will be the peak and things start to get better after that.  I’m pretty much at my breaking point with this virus.  I hope I’m long gone before this happens again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Taters said:

To answer your questions:

1. I am aware that the new 2 day testing protocol only runs through 10/31/2021 and may change by the time of my cruise on 11/28/2021.  I can cancel this appointment if needed.

2. I did not have to pay when I made the appointment.  They will collect payment at the testing site.

3. I am not sure how I will get to the testing site, but since it is at the airport and so many people are getting the tests, if it is away from the terminal, then there may be a shuttle or I can take a cab there.  This is the least of my worries.  At my home airport (FAI) the testing site is located in the baggage claim area, so I imagine that the SAN testing site will be pretty easy to find.

Thanks for your responses to my questions, especially about the ability to pay later. The company we used last month required payment when we booked, that's why I asked. I hope the testing site at SAN is in a terminal, but on their site it appeared to be at a cargo terminal. Hope I was reading wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Philip Pirrip said:

To anyone who has ordered the BinaxNow Covid 19 AG Card test from Optum. I am thinking about purchasing the two pack option as a backup in case our scheduled tests falls through. However, when you select this option on the Optum website they only allow you to enter one name. Do you know if we each have to purchase a two pack (or the one six pack that is for multiple people), or can we use one test each in the two pack? 

Thanks - Jerry

Based on what others have said, the eMed site wants to sell two tests per person in case of an inconclusive result. (only three people per 6 pack or one person per two pack)  Best to check the websites for confirmed instructions.

Edited by oakridger
Added info
  • Thanks 1

Very informative YouTube video detailing the BinaxNow RX COVID at home testing procedure from a couple (ParoDeeJay) filmed just yesterday. We have ordered a 6 pack just as a back-up test for our 9/18 Alaska cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam. I was lucky to find a local lab to get tested Thursday 9/16 but wanted to have these as a contingency plan. Be certain if you buy these that you buy the correct “proctored’ version that says RX on the front and not the OTC version that is not the tele-health online monitored version. This set my mind at ease about the procedure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I don't think it's a matter of "minding it" nobody wants to catch Covid on a cruise. It's the ability to abide by the new guideline. Just about every healthcare provider says "Most results within 72 hours" for a PCR test. 

Most of us have a healthcare plan we pay hefty premiums for and this is our first choice of testing since these are the people we pay for to provide us healthcare. If we can't get the results in the permitted time window then we are forced to pay a for profit lab $250 or so out of pocket.

Like so many other things in the USA, private Covid testing has become a "racket" and their are laws against Racketeering  in the USA. The are called the "RICO" laws and were passed to go after the Mafia.

Harrumph!

-Paul

Edited by kangforpres
  • Like 1

Well, this is frustrating - I went to the Imed site and did not qualify because I don't have symptoms and I don't need it for re-entry into the U.S. I have now called the "for more information" number and the person said just check the box that says "doing the test for re-entry into the U.S.".  Really? I'm very skeptical of a company that requires $150 payment (sold as a 6-pack bundle) with no option to select the "going on a cruise with no symptoms" box. Anyone else experienced this?