Ketchikan

nitesiren

Saw there was not a thread just in Ketchikan.

we did the atv tour which was muddy and fun. Don’t remember the name of the place but they said Ketchikan gets rainy weather all the time and if it doesn’t rain it’s not normal. They provided the jacket, pants and helmet for the excursion. I advise to bring your own waterproof gloves if you have them cause it was a rainy day when we did it and our hands got cold holding the steering wheel. We stopped about 2-3 times and saw a waterfall and learned about the rain forest and even got tips if you happen to get stranded or lost in the forest.

Food wise- we ate at Fish House Ketchikan which is right next to the lumberjack show. Their crispy halibut was good and fresh. Some of the best fish we ever had.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

I would love to see more recommendations for Ketchikan. We will be there next summer and I'm just gathering info on our port tour options.

Crab Fishing on Aleutian ballad for amazing eagle feeding

Flighteeing with crab feast (all you can eat).

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5050039.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-feast/P5232319.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-feast/IMG_0909.jpg

25 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Crew News, you given me something to think about, will be takin a cruise there, an just might take the Aleutian Ballad, when the Radiance gets in there next May. Have not been on that tour yet.

It is very informative and so funny as real crab fishermen talk about filming the series while catching crabs.  Lots of very seasick TV crew aboard.  Set you camera to fast shutter speed and keep photographing the swooping eagles.  Here is a photo link without the eagles: 

Aleutian Ballad Crab Fishing

33 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey, Crew News, I have a Kodak Pixpro digital camera, the scenes on it are, landscape, sport, beach,  sunset. Not sure which scene to use.

For shooting eagles, or any moving objects, you are safe setting to Sport Scene to capture moving objects. 

If you are adventurous, you can turn your dial to "S", choose continuous autofocus,  set the metering to "Center". 

Practice shooting fast moving dogs and cats.  I test my camera settings for eagles by shooting basketball players running and shooting.  When you are finished shooting moving things, turn your dial back to Scene Mode. 

Edited by Crew News

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

For shooting eagles, or any moving objects, you are safe setting to Sport Scene to capture moving objects. 

If you are adventurous, you can turn your dial to "S", choose continuous autofocus,  set the metering to "Center". 

Practice shooting fast moving dogs and cats.  I test my camera settings for eagles by shooting basketball players running and shooting.  When you are finished shooting moving things, turn your dial back to Scene Mode. 

Ok thanks, you've been a great help, will try all that.

1 hour ago, erinsmom03 said:

That looks amazing! Thank you for sharing!

If you opt for the crab feast, skip the meal before the feast to save your appetite.  Also, avoid the offered appetizers to save room.  Before the crab is served, a brief class on the most efficient way to dismember the half crabs is given.  It is always funny when a huge slice of NY cheesecake is offered after an hour of crab gluttony.  Very few diners eat more than one bite of the cake. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Crew News, is there a tour that you can go flightseeing with crab feast an also do the Aleutian Ballad tour? Inquiring minds would like to know!!

I have checked my next three Alaska cruises and sad to say, these excursions are concurrent.  Over the past years, I tend to alternate between the two.

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have checked my next three Alaska cruises and sad to say, these excursions are concurrent.  Over the past years, I tend to alternate between the two.

Thanks.

On 10/18/2021 at 6:21 PM, erinsmom03 said:

That looks amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Hey Crew News, is there a tour that you can go flightseeing with crab feast an also do the Aleutian Ballad tour? Inquiring minds would like to know!!

My favorite excursion in Ketchikan is snorkeling. It was not offered on my cruise this summer. I hope it will be next year if I go again. We've also kayaked there, taken the public bus to Totem Bight, walked to Saxman, hiked the Married Man's Trail, ridden the funicular, visited the hatchery, toured the Totem Heritage Center, and enjoyed watching the salmon and seals from Creek Street.

17 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Crew News, what tour does the flightseeing is it through the cruise line or an independent shore excursion operator? Inquiring minds still want to know.

Through HAL.  Great photo ops flying low over the mountains and what a smooth landing on the water. 

We are looking at a do it yourself electric bike and eco hike in the rainforest through Ketchikan Kayak Company.  The prices were $139pp and the timing is good for our port hours.  Has anyone else done this?