Upgrade without bidding?

Margaretealexander

Yes. Our first time on MSC was a Mediterranean cruise in April 2019. 

We booked an aft balcony deck 11 and the night before our cruise we were in Rome and I opened my reservation on the MSC site and noticed they moved us to a room on deck 15. 
 I was upset because I had taken so much time choosing the room we originally had and I had already printed out my luggage tags with the original room #. 

I called MSC and the very nice rep explained to me that we were given a complimentary upgrade to a balcony in the Yacht Club and we would have free drinks and many other benefits. 

We felt like we hit the lottery lol. It was fantastic

So fast forward to this year we are sailing on the same ship again (Divina) on 11/14th.

I again chose an aft balcony and I looked back on our original reservation from 2019 and realized I chose the exact same room again. 

So I’m hoping it’s a lucky # for us and we’ll get another upgrade lol😉

Edited by styles27
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Yes. Our first time on MSC was a Mediterranean cruise in April 2019. 

We booked an aft balcony deck 11 and the night before our cruise we were in Rome and I opened my reservation on the MSC site and noticed they moved us to a room on deck 15. 
 I was upset because I had taken so much time choosing the room we originally had and I had already printed out my luggage tags with the original room #. 

I called MSC and the very nice rep explained to me that we were given a complimentary upgrade to a balcony in the Yacht Club and we would have free drinks and many other benefits. 

We felt like we hit the lottery lol. It was fantastic

So fast forward to this year we are sailing on the same ship again (Divina) on 11/14th.

I again chose an aft balcony and I looked back on our original reservation from 2019 and realized I chose the exact same room again. 

So I’m hoping it’s a lucky # for us and we’ll get another upgrade lol😉

I have an aft facing cabin on deck 11 as well.  Here’s to hoping!

pS: what cabin is so good you chose it twice?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisichka said:

I have an aft facing cabin on deck 11 as well.  Here’s to hoping!

pS: what cabin is so good you chose it twice?

Nice! When are you cruising?

We have 11270 

Our first cruise I searched on YouTube for “MSC Divina aft cabins” and that room happened to have a nice video showing the whole room and balcony.  I had read on here that some aft balconies are shallow and I wanted to be sure we had a nice big balcony. 

This time I chose it for the #. My birth month 11 and my favorite # 27

Just so weird that out of all the rooms I could have chosen I chose the same one twice. 😉

With MSC we nearly always book an inside and to date have always had a free upgrade to oceanview.   Didn't think it was going to happen on our September 14th sailing but it came this morning.  Not expecting it next time  September 22nd)  as we are YC inside lol 

12 hours ago, deniseatnycs said:

With MSC we nearly always book an inside and to date have always had a free upgrade to oceanview.   Didn't think it was going to happen on our September 14th sailing but it came this morning.  Not expecting it next time  September 22nd)  as we are YC inside lol 

Would love to hear if they upgrade your YC interior to a balcony or if they just send you a chance to bid. 

same here.  YC Interior (9/25 Mera) and got the email to upgrade, going to pass since I'm traveling solo and don't want to pay the upgrade fee.  I can only hope that they get over booked with upgrades to YC interiors, but I doubt it based on the reports on ship capacities being so low.  

On 9/5/2021 at 3:21 AM, styles27 said:

Nice! When are you cruising?

We have 11270 

Our first cruise I searched on YouTube for “MSC Divina aft cabins” and that room happened to have a nice video showing the whole room and balcony.  I had read on here that some aft balconies are shallow and I wanted to be sure we had a nice big balcony. 

This time I chose it for the #. My birth month 11 and my favorite # 27

Just so weird that out of all the rooms I could have chosen I chose the same one twice. 😉

Lol, my birthday date.

• Haha 1

We were sailing YC Deluxe suite on Meraviglia.

Deck 15. 4 cabins down from RS. 
First day of sailing, noticed RS door open and asst.butler finishing up inside.  Asked if I could take pics before guests check in.

Butler mentioned it would not be occupied for cruise. Asked if we were interested.
YES.

Concierge called and got OK to give it to us.

What a great week. Mediterranean .

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, phissy said:

First day of sailing, noticed RS door open and asst.butler finishing up inside.  Asked if I could take pics before guests check in.

Butler mentioned it would not be occupied for cruise. Asked if we were interested.
YES.

WOW! They gave it to you as in you didn't pay anything for it? If so, that's amazing.

6 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

WOW! They gave it to you as in you didn't pay anything for it? If so, that's amazing.

They offered it to us for $100. I asked, per day? 
“ no, total”. Of course, we agreed.
We gave Butler a very nice  tip😉

Edited by phissy

Why stop at asking if an upgrade is possible?  If you can swing it with your schedule ask if you can stay on the ship, and for how little.  Revenue and staff tips are real considerations.  Turn that 4 or 3 day into a 7 day.  With just the minor inconvenience of the turnaround COVID test and maybe some port fees.  

5 hours ago, phissy said:

YES.

WOW!!