BinavaxNow Covid-19 Ag Card Atigen Home Test

rbslos18

This looks very promising for countries accepting an antigen test. The only downside I have found is some reports of a wait of up to 4 hours. This is a Telemedicine approach and provides a document of proof. I have contacted the company to learn where it is accepted.

• Like 1

Will be very curious to hear the answer to this. Testing prior to trip to Alaska is wearing me out, and I'm thinking the home test may be the way to go before our trip in February, but obviously need to know if Italy will accept it! 

I did the Binavax (eMed) home test on Friday for return from Spain.  I can confirm that the wait was less than 3 minutes.  The company indicated that they were having staffing issues but they must have figured things out. Third time using this test for return to the US - all with good results.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, oakridger said:

You must use the proctored version of the test and they provide a report online with your result and all the pertinent information. You can then print the pdf of the report and also keep it on your smart phone. 

Ah. So not the version you can pick up at Walmart, then.

I don't know what Walmart is selling but others have reported that Walgreens, for example, carries both the at home not proctored test and the proctored test.  You need to read the labels on the box to make sure you get the one you want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LisaDee said:

This YouTube video does a nice job of explaining the process.  You want the ones labeled “Rx” (prescription), not “OTC” (over the counter).

https://youtu.be/felpqrm6lzI

Will take a look!  Following this post now.  Given the new Italy requirements (72 hours from arrival, not departure), it creates a real mess, especially if over a weekend or holiday.  

We are headed to Italy Nov 16 to do the Viking Sea from Rome to Barcelona to San Juan.

Our experience with PCR testing was that the only way to guarantee it done quickly was to pay $250 pp at the airport.  Doesn't leave much room for mishaps...

8 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Will take a look!  Following this post now.  Given the new Italy requirements (72 hours from arrival, not departure), it creates a real mess, especially if over a weekend or holiday.  

We are headed to Italy Nov 16 to do the Viking Sea from Rome to Barcelona to San Juan.

Our experience with PCR testing was that the only way to guarantee it done quickly was to pay $250 pp at the airport.  Doesn't leave much room for mishaps...

Travellers from Canada, Japan, Israel and the United States can enter Italy without quarantine obligation and must:

1. Fill in the Passenger Locator Form before entering Italy

2. Present COVID-19 green certification on arrival, issued by the health authority of their country certifying complete vaccination against COVID-19, performed at least 14 days beforehand, using a vaccine recognized by the European Medicines Agency (EMA)

3. Present a document certifying that they have performed a molecular or antigenic swab test in the 72 hours prior to arrival in Italy with negative results.

Green Passes must be in Italian, English, French or Spanish and can be presented in digital or printed formats.

If, on entering Italy, travellers do not present green certification or the negative result of a swab test, they can nevertheless enter the country but will have to undergo fiduciary isolation for 5 days and inform the Prevention Department of the competent area health authority (see page: COVID-19 Toll-free numbers and regional information). After 5 days of isolation, they must perform an additional molecular or antigen test.

This says swab test can be molecular or antigen, so it doesn't necessarily have to be a PCR. Rapid Antigen testing should work. This was from the Italia.it website. 

22 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Rome to Barcelona to San Juan sounds heavenly!

We're on the Venus Journey to Antiquities 7-night Athens to Rome in December.  Greece isn't currently requiring a COVID test for entry.  If Viking continues testing onboard daily then we would use that test to enter Italy.  My concern is testing for the return to the US since we need a test within 3 days of arriving back in the US.  We are staying in Rome for 3 nights after disembarking.  If Viking tests us the morning of departure I could hopefully use that for our return to the US but as a backup I'll bring these Binax tests so we can do the proctored test from our hotel in Italy.

I'm so excited to cruise after so many months of not being on the water but keeping track of all these rules for different countries is adding so much mental strain (first world problems, I'm well aware and grateful.)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

2. Present COVID-19 green certification on arrival, issued by the health authority of their country certifying complete vaccination against COVID-19, performed at least 14 days beforehand, using a vaccine recognized by the European Medicines Agency (EMA)

This says swab test can be molecular or antigen, so it doesn't necessarily have to be a PCR. Rapid Antigen testing should work. This was from the Italia.it website. 

Thanks.  Yes I saw this site.  Much confusion on this "Green" pass that must be presented.  Our USA vaccine cards are not green, and not clear how one gets the Italian created green pass from Italia.  I suppose I could run it through a translator.

1 minute ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks.  Yes I saw this site.  Much confusion on this "Green" pass that must be presented.  Our USA vaccine cards are not green, and not clear how one gets the Italian created green pass from Italia.  I suppose I could run it through a translator.

What they consider a green pass is what we call our vaccination cards. "issued by the health authority of their country, certifying complete vaccination against COVID-19, performed at least 14 days beforehand, using a vaccine recognized by the European Medicines Agency (EMA)." So here in the US that is our vaccine card. 

Right now Viking isn't REQUIRING any testing (they test you when you board) they do suggest you have a PCR before you travel, more as a CYA in case guidelines change whilst you're in mid trip. We are going into Rome a week early, so we'll test before we fly into Italy (most likely an antigen test if they're still accepting it), but hopefully won't need additional testing before boarding. I guess we'll see what the world is up to in five months! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Ellume + Azova is another antigen self test/video observation combination.

We used the Azova test to go to Iceland.  The monitor was great, walked us through everything and then we had a 15 minute waiting period to see if the test was Negative or Positive (that's a Loooonng 15 minutes when you're 2 days from your cruise! LOL!).  You then have an electronic result on the Ellume app and you can print the results (which we did - much faster when you need to produce the results for review).

Early next month we are flying overseas from the US with an airside transit (connection) through London Heathrow.  The UK requires testing within 3 days prior to our flight departure and states that PCR and Antigen tests meeting their required accuracy are accepted.  Does anyone know if this would include the proctored BinaxNow?

4 hours ago, slewis7 said:

Early next month we are flying overseas from the US with an airside transit (connection) through London Heathrow.  The UK requires testing within 3 days prior to our flight departure and states that PCR and Antigen tests meeting their required accuracy are accepted.  Does anyone know if this would include the proctored BinaxNow?

Good question - we had the same one.  We transit in Heathrow in November.

34 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Good question - we had the same one.  We transit in Heathrow in November.

Sorry about the BinaxNow typo in the subject.

I have checked with the US Embassy in Italy, my congressman’s office and tellus@viking.com. They all state a PCR and antigen test with a document of proof is required.  
My read is that any Rx (not OTC) antigen test when proctored will be acceptable in Italy. The test is approved by the FDA (Emergency Use Authorization). 

53 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Sorry about the BinaxNow typo in the subject.

I have checked with the US Embassy in Italy, my congressman’s office and tellus@viking.com. They all state a PCR and antigen test with a document of proof is required.  
My read is that any Rx (not OTC) antigen test when proctored will be acceptable in Italy. The test is approved by the FDA (Emergency Use Authorization). 

Italy requires a PCR *and* an antigen test?