NCL Encore - Alaska Review - 8/28 - 9/4 2021

LoveByrds

Hi! I'm just off of the Encore, and thought I'd share our cruise and excursions.  We had a great trip with sunny weather, and a wonderful time. This is our 4th Alaskan cruise (2 Princess, 1 Celebrity, and now NCL).🙂

I've started posting the videos I took on YouTube if you're interested. I'm a very amature videographer with access to 1 free background song. Sorry, Lol.

https://youtube.com/channel/UC1mkAxeAbvonaOvQYU0DSbA

I'll start with the onboarding process.

We drove up from Oregon that morning, and arrived in Seattle around noon on the 28th. Our checkin time with NCL was 1:30pm. I won't detail our frustrating 30 minute journey trying to drop off luggage, and park the car, instead I'll tell you what we will do next time! 

If you are driving, or being driven, from I5 or wherever, take Wall street and turn left (south) onto Alaskan Way. There will be an area to pull off on the right to drop off luggage (just before the green skybridge). 

If your luggage has NCL tags already, just drop it off. (We were shouted at and told to "drop your bags and go. GO! GO!") There are no names checked here, literally just luggage drop off with a porter. Keep your carry-on bag with you, and all important papers! 

(Have your driver park the car and meet you at the bottom of the Bell Harbor Conference Center.)

Walk south towards the green skybridge. Continue under the green skybridge. When the area opens up and you can see Anthony's Pier 66 restaurant, there will be an NCL employee at the base of stairs of the Bell Harbor Conference Center directing you to one of 3 testing sites (based on how full they are). On 8/28 they were testing at the Marriott, the World Trade Center (flag place beside Marriott), and in the Bell Conference Center. Once our driver/vacationer arrived we were ready to get going. Our boarding time was checked, and we were allowed up 15 minutes prior to the time listed on the boarding pass. 

Overview of queues: You'll first be tested, sit in a waiting room for the results, have your ID checked, checkin for the ship, be x-rayed, and finally board. 

You will want to have these close at hand: NCL boarding pass showing your boarding time (paper or electronic), your ID, and your passport/birth cert.

We were tested for Covid, and onboard within an hour!!!

If you have difficulties walking long distances, I'd suggest getting a wheelchair. The checkin process was fast, but lengthy with lots of queues and walking. 

Another pro tip - if you park in the parking garage on the corner of Wall street and Alaskan Way and pay online, when you exit next week you will need the ticket stub you received upon entry and the payment transaction ID. When you get to the ticket booth, push the call button to speak to someone. They will ask for the faint red number of your ticket, and need to know where/how you paid and the payment/transaction ID. Since there was no one at the ticket booth, this was a huge issue for many drivers and caused lengthy backups exiting. 

• Thanks 1

As far as you know, can you drop off your luggage, get tested and then wander around the waterfront before your boarding time? Or do you have to go to the ship right after getting your wristband showing you passed the COVID test?

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, rsato said:

As far as you know, can you drop off your luggage, get tested and then wander around the waterfront before your boarding time? Or do you have to go to the ship right after getting your wristband showing you passed the COVID test?

Thanks!

Here's how it went for the 8/21 sailing:

Drop luggage off with porter and head across the street to the Marriott. They recommend you check all luggage, but there is a holding area for your carry-on luggage. I believe they don't want the luggage in the testing room. You then get processed in by Eurofins, get directed to a testing booth, then have a seat until you receive your test results. Once you receive the negative result you are given a wristband and can then head across the street to the terminal for check-in. They have people out on Alaskan Way directing people where to go.

I don't believe that there is anything stopping you from wandering after your test results, but I do remember them asking me at check-in what my port arrival time was from my eDocs. These times are not just for testing but to keep the terminal less congested. We arrived and were on the boat about 10 minutes after we completed check-in. The whole process for us took about an hour and 10 minutes from the point of getting out of the Uber to being on the ship. Our check-in time was 10-10:30.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rsato said:

Thanks!

Yes I think so. After dropping off luggage, getting tested, and getting pink wrist bands, then we were free to wander prior to checking in. In fact my husband went back to the car in the parking garage to get a forgotten item, and we roamed around the pier while waiting for him. 

• Like 1

In between testing and check-in my husband realized he forgot his hat, and went back to the car to get it. The rest of us wandered the pier waiting for him. So some time passed between testing and boarding.

Onboard the Encore: The first thing that occurred when we boarded the Encore was to be directed to our muster station. (Your muster station is printed on your ship card.) Our muster station was in the Manhattan Dining room. It was a quick overview, we confirmed we'd watched the safety video, and we were on our way! 

By now was close to 3pm, so we decided to peek and see if our room was ready. So we walked up to deck 9 to our balcony stateroom #9864. And it was ready and waiting!

Our cabin had the bed close to the window, and the balcony was larger then we expected! It was longer then expected, and partially covered and partially open above us. What was unusual was it wasn't considered a obstructed view, but deck 8 jutted out beyond our balcony so we couldn't see straight down into the ocean. I liked having the bigger balcony though! I probably could have fit a lounger. 

One of the things I like about the ship already is that the carpet has fishies heading towards the front of the ship. So knowing we had an even numbered cabin, near the aft elevators made it easy to find throughout the cruise.

Next up, exploring the ship!

20210904_061627.jpg

20210904_061646.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rsato said:

Thanks!

We were on this sailing as well. Stayed at the Marriott the night before, checked out of the hotel around 9:30am and headed across the street to the pier. Dropped bags off at the white tents, then had to wait until our time on the eDocs before we could climb the stairs to the testing center. After getting our pink bands, you walk back down to the first floor for the check-in process. After we got our room cards we left the building completely and went to the market place to shop, eat, drink, and enjoy more of Seattle.

When we were ready to get on the ship we went back upstairs with our room cards and photo ID and were on the ship when we wanted to be there.

IMG_20210828_095313.jpg

IMG_20210828_095333.jpg

P1320214.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thorswife59 said:

Hi!  Just wondering how you felt about the cruise overall? Did it feel extremely different under Covid protocols? Meals, entertainment, pools, hot tubs, etc. 

We’re kind of nervous about getting back in the saddle. Thanks for any input! 

To my knowledge there has been zero passengers coming down with Covid during their cruises. All crew are wearing masks. Washy-washy everywhere. Lots of space and distance in restaurants. Masks on excursions and around ports. I felt very comfortable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thorswife59 said:

Hi!  Just wondering how you felt about the cruise overall? Did it feel extremely different under Covid protocols? Meals, entertainment, pools, hot tubs, etc. 

We’re kind of nervous about getting back in the saddle. Thanks for any input! 

It felt like "before" Covid times on the ship in a lot of ways. As far as know all activities seemed to be available - Covid wise. I'd hoped to do some extra fun activities the last sea day (racetrack & slides), but they were closed due to weather. 

While the crew was all masked, most of the passengers did not wear them. Although I started wearing mine, and saw more worn after receiving notice of crew illness on the 5th day. (I have immunity issues and am more cautious then most though.)

We really enjoyed the layout of the Encore. One thing that really stood out is that many of the activities, venues, and eateries are grouped together in the center of the ship on deck 6, 7, and 8. Some ships make it seem like you walk a million miles between things, but this the Encore has things closer together. I felt like there were always fun activities going on in the atrium (trivia, concerts, music, games), as well as things in the venues that surround the atrium.

We loved deck 8's outdoor seating with continuous bar service! There are many different seating area, heaters to keep you warm, several areas with floor to ceiling windows for when it rains, and plenty of nearby restrooms. My mom still got chilled so the next best thing to being outside, was the Observation Deck.

The Observation Deck is on 15, just below the buffet.  The floor to ceiling windows, muted decor, and easy access to restrooms, snacks and a bar made it perfect for reading, chatting, and playing cards. We saw whales in the distance, jellyfish, and some sort of ray from here. And even in the nastiest weather, we were warm and cozy. I finally won at 5 Crowns, but proceeded to lose every card game thereafter. Luckily there were frequent desserts to cheer up my losing streak, and my favorite drink The Painkiller (sub Malibu for Prussars).

PicsArt_09-06-05.35.27.jpg

PicsArt_09-06-05.30.43.jpg

PicsArt_09-06-05.25.58.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

We were on this sailing as well. Stayed at the Marriott the night before, checked out of the hotel around 9:30am and headed across the street to the pier. Dropped bags off at the white tents, then had to wait until our time on the eDocs before we could climb the stairs to the testing center. After getting our pink bands, you walk back down to the first floor for the check-in process. After we got our room cards we left the building completely and went to the market place to shop, eat, drink, and enjoy more of Seattle.

When we were ready to get on the ship we went back upstairs with our room cards and photo ID and were on the ship when we wanted to be there.

IMG_20210828_095313.jpg

IMG_20210828_095333.jpg

P1320214.JPG

Safe to assume it here is an elevator? Hubby can't do stairs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LoveByrds said:

What was unusual was it wasn't considered a obstructed view, but deck 8 jutted out beyond our balcony so we couldn't see straight down into the ocean.

Obstructed refers to not being able to look straight out, not straight down to the water. Very few balconies on Encore look straight down to the water. The best options for looking straight down to the water are the Club Balcony Suites with Large Balcony and the Large Balconies located towards the front of deck 8. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zerooveride said:

Here's how it went for the 8/21 sailing:

Drop luggage off with porter and head across the street to the Marriott. They recommend you check all luggage, but there is a holding area for your carry-on luggage. I believe they don't want the luggage in the testing room. You then get processed in by Eurofins, get directed to a testing booth, then have a seat until you receive your test results. Once you receive the negative result you are given a wristband and can then head across the street to the terminal for check-in. They have people out on Alaskan Way directing people where to go.

I don't believe that there is anything stopping you from wandering after your test results, but I do remember them asking me at check-in what my port arrival time was from my eDocs. These times are not just for testing but to keep the terminal less congested. We arrived and were on the boat about 10 minutes after we completed check-in. The whole process for us took about an hour and 10 minutes from the point of getting out of the Uber to being on the ship. Our check-in time was 10-10:30.

Ports of call

Icy Strait Point: We waited on the couches of deck 8 watching passengers line up to go to ISP, while sipping on drinks from the mojito bar. Once the crowds thinned out we debarked. Most of the crowds were actually lining up for whale watching excursions, and we walked right off and onto the island. We didn't do an excursion, although I heard reports of whales bubble feeding on the whale watching tours.

It's a short walk to the gondalas at Wilderness Landing, and the sign said it was free today, although I haven't heard of a fee.

We got in line for the green gondala going to Adventure Landing/Historic Cannery. The gondala line moves very quickly, and even with a long line went quickly. It reminds me of getting onto the haunted mansion ride at Disneyland. It moves slowly and you walk on/off.  I like that each Gondala is for your party and they didn't stuff them full.

If someone is in a wheelchair or needs a little extra time climbing on, there is someone there to easily pause the ride while they enter. Even an electric scooter will fit inside. 

It says it's a 4 minute "flight" from Wilderness Landing to Adventure Landing based on the signs, but with the stopping and starting for wheelchairs, our 2 trips each took to take 7-8 minutes. 

It's a very relaxing ride, not to high up, and it didn't rock much. I hadn't been in a gondala before, and was nervous it would be like a rickety fair ride, but it actually felt safe and secure. 

For those that prefer to walk, the men in our group walked it separately, and said it was about a 15 minute leisurely walk. 

Once you arrive at Adventure Landing you can watch the Zipline participants,  or continue onto the Cannery museum, where there's also shopping (check out Tlingit Botanicals for locally created crafts, jewelry, art, and skincare products!), a rocky beach, a cemetery, a restaurant, several restrooms, lots of areas to sit and rest, and my favorite - roaming kitties! 

Back at Wilderness Landing a red gondala is being built to take you up to Hoonan mountain top. It looks really interesting to me, and I can't wait to visit again once it's complete!

According to the map we found on the side of the green gondala (pictured below, and I have no idea of its accuracy), it looks like there will be hiking trails, access to the zipline, a cave, lots of viewpoints, and  Alice Lake up there. 

If you have questions about ISP, let me know!

PicsArt_09-07-11.19.29.jpg

20210830_173606.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 1:32 PM, Sailing12Away said:

IMG_20210828_095313.jpg

IMG_20210828_095333.jpg

P1320214.JPG

We also stayed at the Marriott on the 27th, but we took a somewhat different approach to the check-in process for the 28 August cruise than some others did.  We went downstairs for breakfast at the cafe just across the courtyard from the Marriott entrance.  The cafe is in the lobby of the International Trade Mart.  While having breakfast, we could see that Eurofins also had set up a testing facility on the ground floor of the Trade Center.  They began accepting passengers for testing at 9:30, so we walked across the lobby of the Trade Mart and were among the first to be tested.  No one with Eurofins ever bothered to look at our eDocs, which specified a check-in time of 11:00 - 11:30.  Both my wife and I had preregistered with Eurofins, so we walked past the registration station and went directly to the check-in point for testing.  She sailed right on by, but Eurofins couldn't find my registration on their computer.  I suspect that was because I used a different email address for Eurofins than the one NCL has on file for me.  Their solution was to try to register me again on the spot, but that led to a duplicate entry in their database.  It took them a few minutes to get things straight, find my registration and get us on our way.  Even so, we both were tested, received our results and wrist bands, and were back in our room at the Marriott by a couple of minutes after 10:00.  We finished packing, spent some time on the internet, then went downstairs to check out of the hotel a few minutes before 11:00.  A short walk across Alaskan Way to drop off our bags took us to the security checkpoint, then it was a breeze to pick up our room key cards and board the ship.  We checked in at our muster station before 11:30 and then explored the ship.  Easy peasy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LoveByrds said:

Ports of call

Icy Strait Point: We waited on the couches of deck 8 watching passengers line up to go to ISP, while sipping on drinks from the mojito bar. Once the crowds thinned out we debarked. Most of the crowds were actually lining up for whale watching excursions, and we walked right off and onto the island. We didn't do an excursion, although I heard reports of whales bubble feeding on the whale watching tours.

It's a short walk to the gondalas at Wilderness Landing, and the sign said it was free today, although I haven't heard of a fee.

We got in line for the green gondala going to Adventure Landing/Historic Cannery. The gondala line moves very quickly, and even with a long line went quickly. It reminds me of getting onto the haunted mansion ride at Disneyland. It moves slowly and you walk on/off.  I like that each Gondala is for your party and they didn't stuff them full.

If someone is in a wheelchair or needs a little extra time climbing on, there is someone there to easily pause the ride while they enter. Even an electric scooter will fit inside. 

It says it's a 4 minute "flight" from Wilderness Landing to Adventure Landing based on the signs, but with the stopping and starting for wheelchairs, our 2 trips each took to take 7-8 minutes. 

It's a very relaxing ride, not to high up, and it didn't rock much. I hadn't been in a gondala before, and was nervous it would be like a rickety fair ride, but it actually felt safe and secure. 

For those that prefer to walk, the men in our group walked it separately, and said it was about a 15 minute leisurely walk. 

Once you arrive at Adventure Landing you can watch the Zipline participants,  or continue onto the Cannery museum, where there's also shopping (check out Tlingit Botanicals for locally created crafts, jewelry, art, and skincare products!), a rocky beach, a cemetery, a restaurant, several restrooms, lots of areas to sit and rest, and my favorite - roaming kitties! 

Back at Wilderness Landing a red gondala is being built to take you up to Hoonan mountain top. It looks really interesting to me, and I can't wait to visit again once it's complete!

According to the map we found on the side of the green gondala (pictured below, and I have no idea of its accuracy), it looks like there will be hiking trails, access to the zipline, a cave, lots of viewpoints, and  Alice Lake up there. 

If you have questions about ISP, let me know!

PicsArt_09-07-11.19.29.jpg

20210830_173606.jpg

Your weather was gorgeous!

• Like 1