We were tested for covid at the pier for the Norwegian Gem, and it was a breeze

albingirl

Just back from a wonderful sailing on the Norwegian Gem.  We usually sail with HAL, but there were no Caribbean sailings in August.  We had a wonderful time.  The ship was half full, the service was top notch, and the entertainment was perfect.  Testing at the pier was so easy, and the cruise line was set up to handle the numbers of people well.  Extremely efficient job and comforting to know we were on a 100 per cent vaccinated ship. I hope HAL does the same.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great to hear the testing went so well. We are booked on a Carnival cruise for late Oct. and a recent message from Carnival regarding our cruise said they now have a 2-day window for negative Covid tests for vaccinated passengers instead of 3. They will be setting up mobile testing sites at the cruise terminals to test the day before and day of embarkation. Hope it set up in Port Canaveral by the time our cruise sails. We will still try to get tested before we leave for the Port (we live less than 2 hours away), but hopefully there will be the option of getting tested at the terminal.

How much did you have to pay for NCL test?

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

Just back from a wonderful sailing on the Norwegian Gem.  We usually sail with HAL, but there were no Caribbean sailings in August.  We had a wonderful time.  The ship was half full, the service was top notch, and the entertainment was perfect.  Testing at the pier was so easy, and the cruise line was set up to handle the numbers of people well.  Extremely efficient job and comforting to know we were on a 100 per cent vaccinated ship. I hope HAL does the same.   

Can you describe their actual testing procedure? Nasal or deep nasal? How long did it take for results?

48 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

Great to hear the testing went so well. We are booked on a Carnival cruise for late Oct. and a recent message from Carnival regarding our cruise said they now have a 2-day window for negative Covid tests for vaccinated passengers instead of 3. They will be setting up mobile testing sites at the cruise terminals to test the day before and day of embarkation. Hope it set up in Port Canaveral by the time our cruise sails. We will still try to get tested before we leave for the Port (we live less than 2 hours away), but hopefully there will be the option of getting tested at the terminal.

It not just carnival.  It’s Princess and hal as well that have the 2 day rule. They probably all are sailing from the USA.

3 hours ago, Djptcp said:

It was no cost.  NCL paid for this.  We appreciate the gesture.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, boze9999 said:

Can you describe their actual testing procedure? Nasal or deep nasal? How long did it take for results?

Nasal.  5 swabs each nostril.  We waited 20 minutes for results.  It was incredibly efficient.  They teamed with CVS and had a gazillion employees to do this, and it went smoothly.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I have been following the NCL board and reading how easy they have made it. My next two cruises , November and January are on NCL so have been keeping close tabs on how they were handling everything. It will definitely be a bit less stressful knowing we just get the test prior to boarding. Our November one we arrive in Lax at 8:00 am and purchased NCL transfer to the pier we are Haven suite so told our testing would be coordinated early so we can get the usual early embarkation. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Thanks, I have been following the NCL board and reading how easy they have made it. My next two cruises , November and January are on NCL so have been keeping close tabs on how they were handling everything. It will definitely be a bit less stressful knowing we just get the test prior to boarding. Our November one we arrive in Lax at 8:00 am and purchased NCL transfer to the pier we are Haven suite so told our testing would be coordinated early so we can get the usual early embarkation. 

We had the test at 9:30 a.m., and it was by appointment, and it was done very quickly.  NCL made it easy.  So nice to cruise again....I enjoy your postings.  We have another NCL booked, too, as well as two HAL...guess we missed cruising!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Lisa, from your lips to HAL's ears...maybe you could persuade HAL to follow NCL's idea?

• Like 1