Just Back from the Celebrity Equinox

AlbertaCruisers

2 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

I'm confused....a friend of mine's son went to Nashville and it was $180 to enter the US...

Prices vary tremendously, both by the type of test taken, the speed of results, the testing facility and the location of the facility. It's quite easy to spend $180 for a test but, depending on where you live and what research you bother doing, it's quite possible to get a $40 test.

12 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

I'm confused....a friend of mine's son went to Nashville and it was $180 to enter the US...

I agree with the other gnome12, he likely got the PCR test.  You can use a PCR test to get into the US, but it is more expensive and not necessary.  The Shoppers Drug Mart $40 Rapid Antigen test is sufficient and meets the US flight requirements.  I know that it seems that some Shoppers Drug Mart's did not know that. I sent a friend to Shoppers to go to Vegas and they tried to tell her she need the expensive PCR test and she had to assure them she just wanted the $40 rapid antigen test.  They finally gave her what she asked for and she was fine flying to Vegas with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

I agree with the other gnome12, he likely got the PCR test.  You can use a PCR test to get into the US, but it is more expensive and not necessary.  The Shoppers Drug Mart $40 Rapid Antigen test is sufficient and meets the US flight requirements.  I know that it seems that some Shoppers Drug Mart's did not know that. I sent a friend to Shoppers to go to Vegas and they tried to tell her she need the expensive PCR test and she had to assure them she just wanted the $40 rapid antigen test.  They finally gave her what she asked for and she was fine flying to Vegas with it.

Similar experience here.  I stopped into my local, outside of urban Ottawa, SDM last week just to ensure they had and were doing the tests there.  The person at the pharmacy desk could only refer to it as the "rapid test".  I said, yes the Antigen rapid test needed to enter the US.  She didn't know and said I should check the government web site ...   Anyway, they have them, just need to pre book an appointment.  I am trying to line up all the ducks for early November while staying current on changing requirements. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Josie201 said:

Similar experience here.  I stopped into my local, outside of urban Ottawa, SDM last week just to ensure they had and were doing the tests there.  The person at the pharmacy desk could only refer to it as the "rapid test".  I said, yes the Antigen rapid test needed to enter the US.  She didn't know and said I should check the government web site ...   Anyway, they have them, just need to pre book an appointment.  I am trying to line up all the ducks for early November while staying current on changing requirements. 

Yes, they won't give you any assurances that it is sufficient for your travel needs.  My lady was clear it is up to me to make sure a Rapid Antigen Test is sufficient.  I checked the CDC website and confirmed.

3 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Yes, they won't give you any assurances that it is sufficient for your travel needs.  My lady was clear it is up to me to make sure a Rapid Antigen Test is sufficient.  I checked the CDC website and confirmed.

is this $40.00 test good to cruise Carnival?

1 minute ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

The PCR test to come home was done for free by Celebrity (free for vaccinated guests). 

Thank you!  We have an Xmas cruise booked with Royal that we’re hoping we’ll be able to attend.  Only issue is I’m mixed with AstraZeneca Moderna.  We’re in Ontario.  Hoping we can get a third here in time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

What was it like returning and going through Canada Customs?  We have heard it is a nightmare with people waiting on planes for up to 2 hours.  

We have heard the same thing, terrible wait times.  Our return was really easy.  I think we were one of the only planes at that time (it was later Monday afternoon on the long weekend).  We were the only ones walked through the upper part before you get to the Customs hall.  We have Nexus, went straight down to the nexus machines, no line and through to an agent, no lines.  We were off the plane and through to baggage in approximately 15 minutes total.  The Air Canada lady at check in in Fort Lauderdale checked our tests and vaccine confirmation carefully and our confirmation number from the ArriveCan app and then no one else checked any of it!  We were not asked to show the tests or the vaccine confirmation anywhere in Toronto.

I really think it may depend on the number of planes that happen to land at the same time.  From the stories, it sounds like a lot of the wait time if on the plane, before they let you off, and in the upper part of the walk ways, before you even get to the customs hall.

We were really lucky and made our connection with tons of time to spare - we had planned to miss it and have to stay for the night (as it was our last option out that night).