Just got back the $398 deposit from a cancelled November sailing...

Stockjock

That cruise was cancelled August 9 and refunded September 9, so I don't consider roughly 30 days to be unreasonable.

On the other hand, Costa is rapidly closing in on 90 days with still no refund of my $800 deposit.  I disputed the charge with American Express, as that does seem excessive to me.  I wonder if they understand that holding onto deposits for so long makes customers not want to be future customers?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I wonder if they understand that holding onto deposits for so long makes customers not want to be future customers?

Do you really believe that?

So many of us had sailings cancelled, we re-booked to have it happen again. The rates keep going up and we keep booking.

I too am not happy about the time frame. They can charge our cards in 30 seconds but it takes 30+ for a refund.

We like cruising so we will continue. When it comes down to a choice of a few cruises, I would look to see who has or has not screwed me over.🙂

Steve

10 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Do you really believe that?

So many of us had sailings cancelled, we re-booked to have it happen again. The rates keep going up and we keep booking.

I too am not happy about the time frame. They can charge our cards in 30 seconds but it takes 30+ for a refund.

We like cruising so we will continue. When it comes down to a choice of a few cruises, I would look to see who has or has not screwed me over.🙂

Steve

I admit it bugs me that if we don't pay for things exactly on time, they cancel our booking and keep our deposits, yet they can take their sweet time about refunding deposits.  That said, these days, 30 days beats the heck out of 90.  But sure, it would be nice if they could be prompt.

5 hours ago, Stockjock said:

That cruise was cancelled August 9 and refunded September 9, so I don't consider roughly 30 days to be unreasonable.

On the other hand, Costa is rapidly closing in on 90 days with still no refund of my $800 deposit.  I disputed the charge with American Express, as that does seem excessive to me.  I wonder if they understand that holding onto deposits for so long makes customers not want to be future customers?

My issue is why can't you get FCC instantly?  I had my last cruise cancel and I asked to book a new cruise they said sure give us a deposit. I said you have it already why can't i use that. They said wait 30 days and we will let you know when you can decide if you want a refund or FCC. 30 days?  
I'm sorry I work in IT and this is a digital age. unless they are doing everything by hand this should be something easily done within days. refund taking 2-3 months.  
IF my money is with you I should be able to move that to a new booking with little effort. Especially if you cancel me.  

To be honest, luckily I'm located in Germany.

There German law is very easy in this case.

Refund if cruise line or airline cancel has to be on your account within 7 working days.

If not they have to pay 5% interest rate.

Can't remember the cases, but I've won every case by court, at least 10....except one, here was Thai law involved...here we decided not to go to court... and forget the booked in Bangkok.

I've 2 cases against MSC running and 1 against TUI upcoming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Can't remember the cases, but I've won every case by court, at least 10

Interesting. Does the 5% interest rate cover the attorney's fees or is there another incentive to bring a lawsuit under German law? In the US, the attorney's fees alone for a case that makes its way to a court room would be cost prohibitive unless the judgement was in the tens of thousands.

15 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

My issue is why can't you get FCC instantly?  I had my last cruise cancel and I asked to book a new cruise they said sure give us a deposit. I said you have it already why can't i use that. They said wait 30 days and we will let you know when you can decide if you want a refund or FCC. 30 days?  
I'm sorry I work in IT and this is a digital age. unless they are doing everything by hand this should be something easily done within days. refund taking 2-3 months.  
IF my money is with you I should be able to move that to a new booking with little effort. Especially if you cancel me.  

I know it is way buried now, but there was a ten plus page thread about ...March cruise refunds blackhole....Several of us it took 15+ months to get FCC from March 2020.  There are a couple other recent reports about several months for fcc.  Not sure what problem is but their response is ..it has been escalated.. which is code for wait longer.