Anyone did the Binax proctored test after midnight hours

seapad

As most cruise lines are approving the use of emeds BinaxNow  proctored test, and given the 2 days requirement window, I'd expect that there will be more and more people jumping to the queue to be tested during specific 2 days pre-sail days. In order to avoid extremely long hold time for a proctor tp appear, I'm thinkin perhaps we can jump onto the queue as early as shortly after midnight during the 2 days window.

For example, our cruise is on a Saturday, the 2 days window starts Thursday. I'm thinking jumping on the test at 1a.m. PST Thursday. 

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this test in a similar time frame, and whether the test result will display the correct date - i.e. displaying the Thursday date? 

Thanks! 

My adult children tested very late last night for our sailing tomorrow. I don’t recall the exact time but it was pretty close to midnight. The timestamp on the printed report is UTC time rather than our current time zone. Since it is in UTC time the form is dated for September 9 even though he took the test very late at night on September 8. 

You of course get the results in your NAVICA app but they also send you a printable PDF with the lab and the time your took the test and other pertinent information. That form shows the time you took the test in UTC time. 

The app shows how many hours or days it has been since you took the test. So when you open it up it’ll say you took the test 16 hours ago or two days ago. The part of the app that gives greater detail shows the time you took the test in your local time zone. 

Edited by ancestry

1 minute ago, ancestry said:

My adult children tested very late last night for our sailing tomorrow. I don’t recall the exact time but it was pretty close to midnight or one in the morning Eastern time. The timestamp on the printed report is UTC time rather than our current time zone. 

You of course get the results in your NAVICA app but they also send you a printable PDF with the lab and the time your took the test and other pertinent information. That form shows the time you took the test in UTC time. 

The app shows how many hours it has been since you took the test. So when you open it up it’ll say you took the test 16 hours ago or 48 hours ago. 

Thanks for the info. However, do you know what's the DATE of the test that the result is showing? I understand about the UTC time and the hours countdown, but the date would help. The cruise line (as far as I know) looks at the date of the test.  

1 minute ago, seapad said:

Thanks for the info. However, do you know what's the DATE of the test that the result is showing? I understand about the UTC time and the hours countdown, but the date would help. The cruise line (as far as I know) looks at the date of the test.  

If you take the test after midnight it will show it for that day.  Everything is date and time stamped to the very minute and second. If you take it at 12:01 AM on September 9 it’s going to stamp it for September 9. But it does have the timestamp on it.  If you want to see it I can screenshot everything (paper and app) and upload it. I just have to find a way to block out the personal information. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ancestry said:

If you take the test after midnight it will show it for that day.  Everything is date and time stamped to the very minute and second. If you take it at 12:01 AM on September 9 it’s going to stamp it for September 9. But it does have the timestamp on it.  If you want to see it I can screenshot everything (paper and app) and upload it. I just have to find a way to block out the personal information. 

Glad to know this. It's much easier to stay up past midnight to take the test (hoping to avoid the crowd), than to get up at 5 am in the morning. I know the time is displayed, but I was concerned what the date is. Thanks for the info! 

If it is possible to figure out the private content be blocked out, uploading it for reference would be so appreciated! 

Thanks again! 

4 minutes ago, ancestry said:

Assuming you have a windows computer, microsoft paint should allow you to redact your personal information.   Or, if you take a picture with a phone/tablet, many of them have basic editing capabilities, just use a "black pen" to scratch out what you need to.

This is pdf result that they emailed for the (adult) kid who took the test at between 10:18 pm and 10:55 pm on September 8 eastern time. As you see since they converted it to UTC time the date of the test is actually showing as September 9 even though he took it late on the 8th. 

However the app does not convert to UTC time. The app shows your current time zone when you took the test. 

533B937C-A660-4D68-B817-39703778F00B.jpeg

Edited by ancestry
  • Like 6

Where and When to Get Your Test

COVID-19 testing is very common nowadays. Most local pharmacy chains offer it, and most county or state websites can help you find a local public testing site. You can also go to a doctor’s office, diagnostic lab, or telehealth provider to get your test.

For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 3 days or 2 days before your sail date. How to calculate the days:

• The day you set sail is not included as one of the days.
  • For example, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, and you need to take the test no more than 3 days before, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. 
  • If you are setting sail on a Saturday, and you need to take the test no more than 2 days before, you can take your test on Thursday or Friday.+
  • Like 1

This post sets my mind at ease a little. We fly out early on what is 2 days before cruise. We originally planned on taking the test the day before we leave which would be in the former requirement of 3 days. Now we have to get up around 3:30-4:00 a.m. to do 2 tests/calls so we can leave home for an hour and half drive to airport in order to have a date stamped 2 days before our cruise. I, too, questioned the after-midnight timeline to get the correct date stamped. It will make for a long day. And an adventure we won’t forget.

• Like 3

Do these proctored tests work internationally from anywhere?   I’m wondering if you go to Europe flying west to east where you basically “lose” a day, could these be used once you get to Europe so youcan have the right date stamp within the appropriate window?    Thank you for the advice.  Thank you Ancestry for showing what to expect in documentation after the test.    

6 minutes ago, cruz_happy said:

Do these proctored tests work internationally from anywhere?   I’m wondering if you go to Europe flying west to east where you basically “lose” a day, could these be used once you get to Europe so youcan have the right date stamp within the appropriate window?    Thank you for the advice.  Thank you Ancestry for showing what to expect in documentation after the test.    

From what I read by other posters, it should work internationally as emeds does not differentiate where you are. However, I do not know about the date thing. You should call emed customer service to inquire to get the right information directly from source. Also do you mind reporting back in their response? This will help many others as well. Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, cruz_happy said:

Yes, that's where the emed tests gained a lot of popularity, since the US required a test for flying home when Europe opened over the summer, and the proctored tests removed all the hassle of finding a local test and getting results in time. There are some articles saying that at the start, demand was so high that people would sometimes wait several hours to get a proctor, but then things became more normal. Cruisers might face the same problem now, especially since Carnival is promoting the tests too, with emed selling out after Carnival promoted the site. The good news for that is that they should hopefully start producing more and selling kits with a 12-month expiration date and hopefully adding more proctors to meet demand. I remember watching ParoDeeJay doing their test on youtube, and the proctor had a strong accent, so I would imagine they hire offshore proctors to have them available 24/7, since it doesn't require any medical training, just telling people what to do and observing. 

Can two people do their tests one after the other or do we need to do them separately?  We will be on vacation in Florida 2 days before our cruise so we'll have to take them at the hotel.  I'm also assuming that it's okay for us to use our iPhones during the test with the proctor.

4 minutes ago, Teeara said:

Can two people do their tests one after the other or do we need to do them separately?  We will be on vacation in Florida 2 days before our cruise so we'll have to take them at the hotel.  I'm also assuming that it's okay for us to use our iPhones during the test with the proctor.

You can do them one right after the other but you each have to be logged into your Navica account. So if you're using one phone/laptop that means one person does their test, logs out, and then the next person logs in and start a new session.

10 hours ago, Rondo said:

This post sets my mind at ease a little. We fly out early on what is 2 days before cruise. We originally planned on taking the test the day before we leave which would be in the former requirement of 3 days. Now we have to get up around 3:30-4:00 a.m. to do 2 tests/calls so we can leave home for an hour and half drive to airport in order to have a date stamped 2 days before our cruise. I, too, questioned the after-midnight timeline to get the correct date stamped. It will make for a long day. And an adventure we won’t forget.

Why not just do the test after you land, or the morning of the cruise?

It doesn't need to be stamped *exactly* two days before, just WITHIN the two days prior to embarkation.  Heck, you could do it in the parking lot at the pier just minutes before you board.   

If I wasn’t normally up at midnight there is no way I would stay up to get in line early. If I have a little bit of a wait I’ll just be reading CC and posting how annoyed I am at having to wait. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 jk

I think I read there was a 15 minute wait for someone and other than that I haven’t read about any longer wait times.

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

Why not just do the test after you land, or the morning of the cruise?

It doesn't need to be stamped *exactly* two days before, just WITHIN the two days prior to embarkation.  Heck, you could do it in the parking lot at the pier just minutes before you board.   

I had considered that. BUT...IF we test positive I’d rather be home than in quarantine in LA. I don’t think they will let us fly home until we have a negative test. And our return ticket home is from Miami since this is a Panama Canal cruise. If we were driving it would be a completely different scenario.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rondo said:

I had considered that. BUT...IF we test positive I’d rather be home than in quarantine in LA. I don’t think they will let us fly home until we have a negative test. And our return ticket home is from Miami since this is a Panama Canal cruise. If we were driving it would be a completely different scenario.

That makes complete sense, and I don't blame you one bit. What a nightmare that would be!

Why not take the cheaper home tests before you fly (to make sure you're negative), and then take the proctored test after your plane lands? 

You'll be out the extra money for the unproctored at-home test, but in this case, I would think that the peace of mind and stress reduction would absolutely be worth the $25 cost for two at-home tests.