Any new info on Pride of America?! Why is she in Astoria?

4 cruisers

14 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

for instance , I am curious - not be nasty just wanted to know

Japan, for instance, requires certain equipment, notably safety equipment, to be approved by the Japanese government (like the USCG approval).  Most EU nations have restrictions on crew certification (and nationality) that must meet their governmental standards (though within the EU these are mostly considered equal).  Additionally, each flag state must approve the Safety Management System (SMS or ISM) for each ship owner flying their flag, which places requirements on ship operation, inspection, maintenance, environmental compliance, etc.  Just a few off the top of my head.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Japan, for instance, requires certain equipment, notably safety equipment, to be approved by the Japanese government (like the USCG approval).  Most EU nations have restrictions on crew certification (and nationality) that must meet their governmental standards (though within the EU these are mostly considered equal).  Additionally, each flag state must approve the Safety Management System (SMS or ISM) for each ship owner flying their flag, which places requirements on ship operation, inspection, maintenance, environmental compliance, etc.  Just a few off the top of my head.

ok thanks.

Still POA needs to get going otherwise scrap her since Hawaii is accepting other ships.

16 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

ok thanks.

Still POA needs to get going otherwise scrap her since Hawaii is accepting other ships.

Hawaii has been "accepting" other ships for decades, no reason to scrap the ship.  There is a different demographic for those who care to take a 7 day Hawaii cruise, compared to those who care to, or can, take a 14 day cruise from the West Coast.

• Like 1

Following more than nine months of layup and maintenance in Oregon, with occasional brief jaunts out to sea, AIS data indicates that Pride of America departed from her lay berth at the Vigor Industrial shipyard at Portland this morning, en route to Honolulu. Her publicly-announced restart date continues to be April 9th 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Very excited to hear this, thanks!  We don't sail until January but are looking forward to our first NCL cruise to Hawaii.  We are long-time Princess cruisers but have chosen NCL for the Hawaiian itinerary to avoid the 2 week trip with too many sea days required on the other lines.  Hope the resumption goes smoothly 🙂

59 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Both sites I use are showing the estimated time of arrival in Honolulu as February 18th?? Does someone have access to a different site with an accurate arrival date?

image.png.55e8a57b9af3073e248d5fea94034045.png

image.png.35213892067e9938c97716816f06e6af.png

I would bet they will arrive on the 18th of March which is next Friday-- probably typing error.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

I would bet they will arrive on the 18th of March which is next Friday-- probably typing error.

Yes, those AIS destination/ETA times are manually entered by the navigator.  At the indicated 13 knots, it is 7 days 11 hours to Honolulu, so that tracks about right for the 18th.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 1:25 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, that's the background behind my questions.  I'm hoping for any signs that the ship has found sufficient staffing to resume in April.  I'm not planning to sail until May, but would very much welcome a successful resumption in April as confirmation that it is happening.  I really don't want to pay in full and wind up playing FCC Bingo with NCL (jk - if they cancel, I get my cash back).

Yes, we felt the same way but bit the bullet and made the payment.  I cringe every time I see that she is still in Oregon.😬

4 minutes ago, 4 cruisers said:

Yes, we felt the same way but bit the bullet and made the payment.  I cringe every time I see that she is still in Oregon.😬

I just scrolled back (you all have been busy posting since I was last on this thread) and saw the fantastic news that she is now sailing!  Hoping it isn't just another sea trial 😜

She's hit the open sea and the ETA now reflects March 18 (as suggested by several).  This is the most positive sign I've seen that my May POA plans will actually happen.  Ironically, HI had me the most nervous so I had booked a backup AK cruise.  Now, HI is wide open and the "ship has sailed," yet several questions linger about AK cruises, due to Canada's newly issued rules and lack of clarity regarding Covid testing for even Canadian port visits.  With POA, I should be able to test once before getting on the airplane and not worry about testing beyond that point.  I really like that! 😎

5 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, I know.  Three weeks actually.  Weren't you the guy who told me they would probably put most/all of the crew on board before leaving Oregon in order to save on airfares?

Provided the crew have their documentation in order, then boarding in Portland is practical.  There may be still crew whose documentation is in process, and will receive them prior to the first cruise.

27 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Provided the crew have their documentation in order, then boarding in Portland is practical.  There may be still crew whose documentation is in process, and will receive them prior to the first cruise.

Yes, hence my question....

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The big question that remains is "how many crew are on board?"

It wasn't a rhetorical question.  It was an honest question based upon your (knowledgeable) suggestion that there may be some portion of crew on board prior to leaving Oregon.  The more the better, for those of us concerned that she might not resume sailing due to lack of crew.

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

She's hit the open sea and the ETA now reflects March 18 (as suggested by several).  This is the most positive sign I've seen that my May POA plans will actually happen.  Ironically, HI had me the most nervous so I had booked a backup AK cruise.  Now, HI is wide open and the "ship has sailed," yet several questions linger about AK cruises, due to Canada's newly issued rules and lack of clarity regarding Covid testing for even Canadian port visits.  With POA, I should be able to test once before getting on the airplane and not worry about testing beyond that point.  I really like that! 😎

yeah I have an Alaska cruise (Bliss) in May, and beside being vaccinated and tested before sailiing, we have to AGAIN have a test before Victoria.  I have to test on the ship?   that's just weird. And, I really do not want to pay for the test, they're free at home.

1 hour ago, Traveller20074 said:

yeah I have an Alaska cruise (Bliss) in May, and beside being vaccinated and tested before sailiing, we have to AGAIN have a test before Victoria.  I have to test on the ship?   that's just weird. And, I really do not want to pay for the test, they're free at home.

I go back to AK in october. I will be watching to see how this testing thing plays out since victoria is the last day…

22 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, hence my question....

It wasn't a rhetorical question.  It was an honest question based upon your (knowledgeable) suggestion that there may be some portion of crew on board prior to leaving Oregon.  The more the better, for those of us concerned that she might not resume sailing due to lack of crew.

All good thoughts!  I am thinking that perhaps there will be a good number of Hawaiian crew to fill in the gaps!  Fine with us because that is what we love about Hawaii....their culture added to America!  

13 minutes ago, 4 cruisers said:

All good thoughts!  I am thinking that perhaps there will be a good number of Hawaiian crew to fill in the gaps!  Fine with us because that is what we love about Hawaii....their culture added to America!  

Unfortunately, NCL tried to hire Hawaiians when the US flag operation first started, back in 2004.  It didn't end well, and ended quickly.  The aloha spirit of laid-back, stress-free life, did not mix well with a cruise ship hospitality environment, and being bound to the ship for months.