Testing Positive 14+ Days after Covid

PyrHeaven

Does MSC have any sort of policy on place if you were to test positive for Covid-19 after having the virus? For example: if I were to contract covid 4 weeks before my cruise, am free of symptoms by time of sailing, but still test positive for covid 2 days prior to my cruise from the prior infection, am I denied boarding?

Do they have any sort of exception with proof of positive covid test within x amount of days? I know this is accepted for international air travel when flying back to the US and/or Canada.

It sure would be a bummer to come down with covid, recover, and not be allowed to go due to a positive test from previous infection.

You will not be allowed to board with any positive test nor should anyone allow to be..... No exceptions. They'll never let anyone on with a positive test regardless of reason. I'd be furious as a fellow passenger if something like this was even remotely considered. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, PyrHeaven said:

Does MSC have any sort of policy on place if you were to test positive for Covid-19 after having the virus? For example: if I were to contract covid 4 weeks before my cruise, am free of symptoms by time of sailing, but still test positive for covid 2 days prior to my cruise from the prior infection, am I denied boarding?

Do they have any sort of exception with proof of positive covid test within x amount of days? I know this is accepted for international air travel when flying back to the US and/or Canada.

It sure would be a bummer to come down with covid, recover, and not be allowed to go due to a positive test from previous infection.

Make sure you are testing wiht the Antigen test as it only tests for active covid. The CDC has announced as of Dec 31 they are stopping the NAAT and PCR tests as they detect anything covid..including a cold, the common flu which has disappeared, ect. 

IMHO, we should worry more about the long haul problems.

Your body will test positive until the infection clears. Long haul can persist for weeks and months, because of neurological and organ damage. 😵

I was infected in May 2020. For weeks, there was mental fog. Burnt my arms twice when I lost situational awareness at the oven! Travel would be a definite No-No. 🙄

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

Your scenario hit close to home for me. I am triple jabbed (vaccinated) and  very conscientious about social distancing and wearing my mask where appropriate. Frankly, I isolate much of the time. A week ago, I had to see my dentist about an abscessed tooth, and a few hours after that visit, I received a call that he had tested positive. Four days later, I developed a sore throat. This was all within 3 weeks of my Meraviglia sailing, and my concern was that- if I tested positive- there would not be enough time to recover and test negative for my cruise. Fortunately, my PCR test came back negative, but  your example is probably a reality more that we realize. I agree with the others, though... "rules is rules" and I probably wouldn't have been able to make my cruise.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kruz said:

Make sure you are testing wiht the Antigen test as it only tests for active covid. The CDC has announced as of Dec 31 they are stopping the NAAT and PCR tests as they detect anything covid..including a cold, the common flu which has disappeared, ect. 

FACT CHECK

The claim that tests (PCR and NAAT) can misdiagnose due to cold (most are rhinovirus)and  influenzas are false.

These tests are highly specific.

Antibody tests, however, can establish if someone has antibodies from other coronaviruses. These are not used to diagnose SARS-CoV-2 virus.

CDC will discontinue use of current PCR test.

Not because because it is inaccurate.

It is because they now have a different test that can check for both influenza and COVID-19 simultaneously (multiplexed method)

All PCR tests for COVID-19 are designed to only give positive results of SARS-CoV-2.

PCR and NAAT test are more accurate and reliable than antigen test .

Edited by phissy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, phissy said:

These tests are highly specific.

I have a TA cruise coming up in a few weeks and last thing I want to do is catch the flu on top of trying to avoid a breakthrough Covid (I am fully vaxed).  So, went to get my flu shot today after also researching that flu virus and covid are not related and will not trigger any sort of "+test"!

Cheers

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kruz said:

The CDC has announced as of Dec 31 they are stopping the NAAT and PCR tests as they detect anything covid..including a cold, the common flu which has disappeared, ect. 

Please provide source and/or proof of your statement..

Covid-19 PCR Test is considered “Gold Standard” in diagnosing infections.. No hospital or physician will rely only on Antigen Test. Antigen Test is for screening only.. Positive Antigen result needs confirmation by PCR and negative Antigen result (patient has symptoms) needs confirmation by PCR too since Antigen Tests are sometimes inaccurate.

We have seen symptom free patients with up to 4+ weeks carrying active Covid-19 virus. They are highly infectious and can spread the virus.

Edited by SirWolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

Covid-19 PCR Test is considered “Gold Standard” in diagnosing infections.. No hospital or physician will rely only on Antigen Test. Antigen Test is for screening only.. Positive Antigen result needs confirmation by PCR and negative Antigen result (patient has symptoms) needs confirmation by PCR too since Antigen Tests are sometimes inaccurate.

We have seen symptom free patients with up to 4+ weeks carrying active Covid-19 virus. They are highly infectious and can spread the virus.

This may help 🙂

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/07/scicheck-viral-posts-misrepresent-cdc-announcement-on-covid-19-pcr-test/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

needs confirmation by PCR too since Antigen Tests are sometimes inaccurate

As I understand it, the new tests will look for both Covid and flu (and maybe others), but will still be able to tell the difference and show which virus one is infected with.  They are essentially "improving" the PCR tests and discontinuing the old ones that could only detect Covid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KeepSailing said:

As I understand it, the new tests will look for both Covid and flu (and maybe others), but will still be able to tell the difference and show which virus one is infected with.  They are essentially "improving" the PCR tests and discontinuing the old ones that could only detect Covid.

We are using 2 kind of PCR testing methods in the Lab , both from Roche Diagnostics. PCR specific for SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19).. batch testing with same day turn-around and PCR for SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) plus Influenza A & B on single specimen analyzer.. STAT test in 30 minutes. Since Covid-19 and Influenza A&B have similar symptoms the combination tests make sense but the cartridges are very expensive.. Roche added SARS-CoV-2 to the Influenza A&B cartridge in 2nd half of 2020. We have learned that insurances cover SARS-CoV-2 test but not the broader tests including Influenza A&B. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

21 minutes ago, kruz said:

CDC developed RT-PCR tests early when the pandemic started and no commercial tests were developed and/or available. CDC will discontinue these CDC developed tests by the end of 2021. Hospitals and Laboratories using these CDC developed tests are now required to implement commercial tests.

There is no change of methodology.. it’s still PCR testing.. Hospitals and Laboratories can just no longer get the reagents from the CDC.

Edited by SirWolf
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, PyrHeaven said:

Does MSC have any sort of policy on place if you were to test positive for Covid-19 after having the virus?

The CDC has a policy in place recommending no testing for 3 months after a positive test. Am currently waiting for confirmation for a client that MSC will accept the "documentation of recovery" mentioned below and is found here: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

Information for people who recently recovered from COVID-19

• If you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 3 months and met criteria to end isolation, you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you have symptoms. CDC has found that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after they had COVID-19 and not be infectious to others.
  • Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.” If you are asked by officials in a foreign country, you may be required to show this documentation.
  • You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel if you have recently recovered from COVID-19, even if you are not fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

The CDC has a policy in place recommending no testing for 3 months after a positive test. Am currently waiting for confirmation for a client that MSC will accept the "documentation of recovery" mentioned below and is found here: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

• If you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 3 months and met criteria to end isolation, you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you have symptoms. CDC has found that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after they had COVID-19 and not be infectious to others.
  • Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.” If you are asked by officials in a foreign country, you may be required to show this documentation.
  • You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel if you have recently recovered from COVID-19, even if you are not fully vaccinated.

This is very helpful! I’m on the October 16 sailing on the Meraviglia and my husband and I both tested positive for Covid last week. We’re both fully vaccinated, but attended a wedding that turned out to be a super spreader. My husband no longer has symptoms, I almost have no symptoms and we’re wondering about this regarding our upcoming cruise. Is MSC going to explicitly follow these CDC guidelines or are they going to still require a negative Covid test for us? 

1 hour ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

I should have answer in the next few days.

While the CDC may have certain guidance as respects "documentation of recovery" and no need to test, could MSC decision be impacted by Bahamas or other Caribbean entry requirements that (I think) specify even if vaxed a negative test is also required as a condition of entry?  Not sure they would similarly recognize the documentation of recovery in their local health protocols?

I will be interested in hearing what you find out as well.

7 hours ago, kelikea said:

Is MSC going to explicitly follow these CDC guidelines or are they going to still require a negative Covid test for us? 

By October, you should be clear of the infection. Regardless of guidelines, test again prior to the cruise, if you have any doubts.

All the best.

8 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Why do people continue to think that they will be allowed to board if they test positive for Covid regardless of their excuses and history ? Have people lost their minds? Stay away ……

I suppose the CDC making guidelines for cruise travel for this exact scenario means nothing. Apparently, if you provide positive test results and letter from medical provider/county health department clearing you of infection, you should be eligible to get on the cruise, since you’re no longer contagious. I’m sorry you don’t understand this. 

• Like 2

Goodness! I should have known this would open a can of worms. In no way am I trying to skirt the system and get on a cruise to infect 1000s of people. I'm not stupid nor inconsiderate of other people.. So for those of you that thought I may be, that is not the case at all.

This is also a hypothetical question. I do not have Covid, nor does anyone in my immediate family.

I was referring to exactly what cruiseguyinorl stated below, since it's possible to test positive for the infection up to 90 days after you've recovered. I do think it's rare, but possible. @cruiseguyinorl - please let us know what MSC has to say. I'm genuinely curious. Thank you!! 

On 9/12/2021 at 7:24 PM, cruiseguyinorl said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PyrHeaven said:

I was referring to exactly what cruiseguyinorl stated below, since it's possible to test positive for the infection up to 90 days after you've recovered. I do think it's rare, but possible. @cruiseguyinorl - please let us know what MSC has to say. I'm genuinely curious. Thank you!! 

I received this from MSC Operations today:

Unfortunately this is not negotiable, everyone must bring a negative test with them to the pier taken no more than 2 days prior to sailing. There are certain regulations we must follow and this is one.

So no, "documentation of recovery" will not be accepted. You must have a negative test.

Bret

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2