PCR Test During the Holiday

shirlden

We have a cruise booked for November 28- December 5th and my 8 year old granddaughter got approved for an exemption. Problem is with her being under 12 she has to have the PCR test done on Thursday. Thursday is Thanksgiving so that's a no go, then Black Friday which means they will have minimal people working in the lab. I am concerned this test will not come back in time. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

You probably won't find any that are free.  The rapid PCR tests usually cost. We paid $150 four ours.  Be careful when googling "rapid PCR covid test".  What often comes up is the antigen test.  Make sure (before you depend on a site) that it actually is a rapid PCR test.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Best of luck sincerely shirlden.  I agree with bafinegan.  You'll be paying a premium price, if you can find it at all.  This MAY end up being a situation where rescheduling is your best option.  Sometimes you just can't fight City Hall.

1 hour ago, mondello said:

@shirlden There is a good chance vaccines will be approved for 5-12 year olds by Halloween, as reported on local TV news yesterday.

Here's the problem with that.  If your timing is correct, the 2 shot regime wouldn't be possible nearly in time for their scheduled cruise.

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

You probably won't find any that are free.  The rapid PCR tests usually cost. We paid $150 four ours.  Be careful when googling "rapid PCR covid test".  What often comes up is the antigen test.  Make sure (before you depend on a site) that it actually is a rapid PCR test.

Good luck!

Yes, this is true. The airport service charges an arm and a leg. But it could be an option if the OP has something like this near them or the destination airport. Just gets down to how badly they would like to go on this cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Here's the problem with that.  If your timing is correct, the 2 shot regime wouldn't be possible nearly in time for their scheduled cruise.

Yeah, it probably won't get approved fast enough to help them. Earlier this year, I was really expecting it to be approved by Sept. for the return to school. Just hoping that enough people get vaccinated to end this Delta surge before another bogeyman shows up.

6 hours ago, shirlden said:

We have a cruise booked for November 28- December 5th and my 8 year old granddaughter got approved for an exemption. Problem is with her being under 12 she has to have the PCR test done on Thursday. Thursday is Thanksgiving so that's a no go, then Black Friday which means they will have minimal people working in the lab. I am concerned this test will not come back in time. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Don't all of you have to have the PCR test done?

It is the burden of the passenger to meet the requirements to cruise and not the cruise line to provide a mechanism for you to meet it. You should start gearing up now on where you can get her tested properly within 3 days of the cruise. If it is that important to cruise, the cost and means to get it done are a burden you accept. Urgent care clinics are open on Thanksgiving, many other places the Friday after. It may be that you have to drive 3-4 hours each way to get it. If cruising is that important, then you have to suck it up. Give up Thanksgiving and/or Black Friday to get what has to be done done. It is as simple as that. 

I don't want to sound negative about this, but this is a personal choice issue. That choice requires you to adhere to the requirements and accept what is necessary. This is not Carnival, but the CDC. We are all going through a similar situation having to adjust schedules. I knew my family could not take an extra day driving around everywhere to get tested 2 days before and dealing with canceled appointments. I made the decision for my family to get the At Home test. I know you can't do that with an unvaxxed 8-year old. You have to make a family decision. It is simple. Make the decision and accept the responsibilities.

2 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

It is the burden of the passenger to meet the requirements to cruise and not the cruise line to provide a mechanism for you to meet it. You should start gearing up now on where you can get her tested properly within 3 days of the cruise. If it is that important to cruise, the cost and means to get it done are a burden you accept. Urgent care clinics are open on Thanksgiving, many other places the Friday after. It may be that you have to drive 3-4 hours each way to get it. If cruising is that important, then you have to suck it up. Give up Thanksgiving and/or Black Friday to get what has to be done done. It is as simple as that. 

I don't want to sound negative about this, but this is a personal choice issue. That choice requires you to adhere to the requirements and accept what is necessary. This is not Carnival, but the CDC. We are all going through a similar situation having to adjust schedules. I knew my family could not take an extra day driving around everywhere to get tested 2 days before and dealing with canceled appointments. I made the decision for my family to get the At Home test. I know you can't do that with an unvaxxed 8-year old. You have to make a family decision. It is simple. Make the decision and accept the responsibilities.

Boozin, I see NO evidence that the OP doesn't fully understand that.  In fact did anyone complain in the thread at all?  🤨

• Like 2

Thank you I was not complaining at all, I fully understand the rules and that it is the CDC not Carnival. I was just asking for advise if anyone knew of a work around. And I did learn from you all that there is a rapid PCR test which I did not know. Unfortunately my closest airport is about 2 hours away. I do not have a problem paying for the test, however I am considering just canceling the cruise due to the timing and hassle.