United States to Lift Travel Ban

SLSD

Some good news for those of you in the UK and Europe:https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/travel-ban-us-europe/2021/09/20/d78b5aae-1a22-11ec-bcb8-0cb135811007_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3awJi6X2NFKydOyzmDDjzfjeM6spiBouTUPWftcre9AVKTW5UGE1itmE8

From the article:  

The White House announced on Monday that it would be lifting blanket travel restrictions on visitors from Europe, Britain and other countries that had been imposed at the start of the pandemic.

Under rules to take effect in early November, fully vaccinated travelers from anywhere in the world would be able to fly to the United States, though they would also be subject to new testing and contact-tracing procedures, Jeff Zients, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, said in a call with reporters.

Zients said the new system “follows the science” to keep Americans and international travel safe and would be “relying on individuals, rather than a country-based approach, so it’s a stronger system.”

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

This is great news, indeed.  However, the statement only states travel to US by air.  We'll have to wait for clarifications regarding travel by sea.  Also, the timing is vague: no mention yet of when in November for tourists arriving by air.

13 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

This is great news, indeed.  However, the statement only states travel to US by air.  We'll have to wait for clarifications regarding travel by sea.  Also, the timing is vague: no mention yet of when in November for tourists arriving by air.

I agree with you.  I heard a report on the news tonight saying that Canadians will only be able to enter the US by air, not by car.  Perhaps this will change.  I hope so.  It does make it unclear about arriving by sea. 

12 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

CDC still requires ships entering US waters after an extended absence to quarantine for 14 days. The transatlantics will require an exemption to this rule. I'm guessing this will not be a problem.