Free at Sea Question

twonpcb

We are avid RCI cruisers and have never been on a NCL ship.  However, current situations have made cruising on NCL much more appealing.  I have a few questions about their “Free at Sea” program.  

What exactly does “Open Bar” mean?  I assume this means we are given unlimited lower end drinks of house wines, well drinks, etc.

Specialty Dining says we can save $160.  Does this mean our onboard credit is loaded with said amount to use when booking specialty restaurants?

Shore excursions only says “save $50 per shore excursion.”  What exactly does that mean?

The WIFI portion of the package says we will save $130 on a package.  I assume that means we get the low end, very slow text only internet connection.  

I appreciate your input.

“Open Bar” means that you have the beverage package which gives you drinks under $15 (you pay any extra over that amount). It includes wine by the glass, but not bottles and also doesn’t include coffee or bottled water. You can upgrade to the package which includes those things.

The dining package gives you a number of meals, depending on the length of the cruise, The saving stated is basically marketing speak, and I think it is the cost that the equivalent package would cost to purchase. The actual saving depends on what you actually order.

Shore excursions gives you $50 off excursions for the first passenger. I don’t recall the detail (never used it myself and I think it’s changed recently), but I think it is that amount off each excursion you book.

The internet is the basic package but can be upgraded.

The full details are all on the NCL site. There is usually a link from the front page where it is advertised.

• Like 1

Energy drinks, special juice bar drinks, and self serve wine/Starbucks stations are also not included in the drink package.  It's definitely better than well drinks though.  Be sure to look at the included brands if you like a particular spirit and don't want to pay an upcharge.  They have a list on the website.  I printed one so we can take it with us.  You are also required to pay 20% gratuity on the comped cost of the package.  You can upgrade this package to include pretty much everything but the cost is high above what's already being paid.  It could be worth it if you have to have multiple Starbucks, high end spirits, and bottles of wine with dinner.

The dining is not a dollar amount added to your card.  I think that's the amount you're required to pay the 20% gratuity on.  

We're on a 7-day cruise in a couple days and just purchased the upgraded internet package to one device Wifi and streaming for $120.  My husband has to have it for work but that doesn't seem horrible.  Hopefully the quality is good.  

I was also a RCI fan previously but when you compare the Free at Sea deal with NCL to the drink package and internet package with RCI they're fairly similar.  Depends on the sailing.  

A more specific answer to your dining question:  You don't get a certain dollar amount of credit; you get the electronic equivalent of however many vouchers for dining loaded on your card.  (It's currently 2 for a 7-day sailing.)  Then, when you present your card at the restaurant, they will use a voucher to pay for your meal.  Anything you order will be fully covered, with a small number of exceptions, but those will be clearly marked on the menu as a "dining package upcharge."  The servers are also good about telling you if you're ordering something with an upcharge.

As far as the drinks, it's not just crappy well pours, it's a pretty decent selection of mid-price spirits.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Janicept said:

It's definitely better than well drinks though. 

5 hours ago, trivimp said:

As far as the drinks, it's not just crappy well pours, it's a pretty decent selection of mid-price spirits.  

+1.  The offerings are quite generous.  As an example, if you're a scotch drinker, Black Label is included at no extra charge.  I think there is at least one decent single malt as well. 😎

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wilsonsmw said:

If you upgrade the drink package to the Premium, aprox cost?   It is $34.80 USD per person/per day!

Can only one person in the cabin upgrade or do both have too?  All adults on booking!

Some have said that you can purchase for one person on-board.  However, I would not count on that for future cruises (even if it was the case in 2019/early 2020).

Edited by ggTexasGal
clarified cost as USD

On 9/23/2021 at 12:41 AM, twonpcb said:

We are avid RCI cruisers and have never been on a NCL ship.  However, current situations have made cruising on NCL much more appealing.  I have a few questions about their “Free at Sea” program.  

What exactly does “Open Bar” mean?  I assume this means we are given unlimited lower end drinks of house wines, well drinks, etc.

Specialty Dining says we can save $160.  Does this mean our onboard credit is loaded with said amount to use when booking specialty restaurants?

Shore excursions only says “save $50 per shore excursion.”  What exactly does that mean?

The WIFI portion of the package says we will save $130 on a package.  I assume that means we get the low end, very slow text only internet connection.  

I appreciate your input.

There are two different drink packages, see attached.  The "included" (though gratuities are extra) one is pretty good.  But if you have a taste for some of the things on the Premium Plus list, including waters and premium coffees and a bottle of wine with dinner, that may be worthwhile at an extra ~$35/day.  No right or wrong answer; it's your own personal taste.

Premium dining gets you two meals for a 7 day cruise.  $160 is probably on the high end of what you save but a couple nights in the steakhouse can probably get close to that.  I upgrade the remainder of the sailing as well; I find it a better experience than MDR, though people sailing in Haven have a good dining room included with their package.  If I were in Haven I probably wouldn't buy extra premium meal nights.

Internet is about what you need.  Sorry to say, I need to stay connected to work email even in the middle of the ocean (and yeah, I'm posting on social media etc too.)  So I buy that package.  If you need streaming video etc. then it might make sense to upgrade to the top package.

premium-beverage-package-2021v2.pdf premium-plus-beverage-package-072021v2.pdf

Edited by phillygwm

45 minutes ago, Sixtytwo said:

I noticed on the Plus package pdf, at the top it has the $35 crossed out and $29 shown. Looks like it is $6/day cheaper now. 😎

No, it was the $128/day "list price" (which nobody pays) that's crossed out in favor of $29, + 20% gratuity.  Basically $35/day.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 12:41 AM, twonpcb said:

I appreciate your input.

i've never had a problem with their alcohol selection.  then once you add a soda i'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between Grey Goose and Smirnoff.  🙂

now... the beer selection is another matter.  i wish there were more (any?) craft beers on board.  i can't remember what drafts were on tap at O'Sheehan's other than Newcastle (?) which is OK, i guess.  at least it is better than Budweiser, etc.

6 minutes ago, boswell0877 said:

i can't remember what drafts were on tap at O'Sheehan's other than Newcastle (?) which is OK, i guess.  at least it is better than Budweiser, etc.

Absolutely.  I'm partial to dark ales, and having Newcastle on tap is a nice bonus.  Some NCL ships have had Guinness in cans, but it's hit and miss.

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Absolutely.  I'm partial to dark ales, and having Newcastle on tap is a nice bonus.  Some NCL ships have had Guinness in cans, but it's hit and miss.

i'm partial to IPAs and that is what is lacking.  i think Goose Island IPA is on their list but do not recall any IPAs being on tap.  i think i read a post somewhere that there usually a Florida craft beer on tap but i assume that is only if they are leaving from that state.  we are sailing in a few days from NYC.

while looking around for the Breakaway "beer list" it looks like the ship to be on is the Escape as they have a craft brewery bar.