Galveston port boarding times

shadowdiver

We did a Alaskan cruise a few weeks ago form Seattle check in time was 10:30-11:00 we showed up at the terminal at 10:25 a huge line and people everywhere, A group of about 15 was  next to us told us there check in was 12:30 - 1,   doors to terminal shut they did have two guys kind of sorta walk around at 10:30 and said 10:30 to 11 could walk up to the doors but at the same time they opened the doors and everyone just went in no one checking boarding passes, We have a cruise next month from Galveston was just wander how it's working there. Thanks

I cruised last week and unaware of any early and late line. Two lines. One was already wound around out to the street. I asked if our boarding area or anything made a difference and was told nope. Not until you get upstairs and then they call by hc, then A01, A02 ... 

Not a thing mentioned about early and late and I was in the 2nd mass pushing, not even lined up, just a mass waiting until they started our area after they finished first area. 

They do call boarding in order upstairs.

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I cruised last week and unaware of any early and late line. Two lines. One was already wound around out to the street. I asked if our boarding area or anything made a difference and was told nope. Not until you get upstairs and then they call by hc, then A01, A02 ... 

Not a thing mentioned about early and late and I was in the 2nd mass pushing, not even lined up, just a mass waiting until they started our area after they finished first area. 

That's so frustrating. My last cruise a few years ago they were good about checking boarding times. Was hoping it would be the same. 

We also just got off the cruise this past Sunday.

We showed up at the port around 11ish.

The people working the front line ask what time is your boarding time. We said 12noon and where told to get into this line and not that line. When we where finally let in. It took less than 30 minutes from front door too getting on the ship. Very well organized.

The reason for the back up after 1ish was there was a computer issue that had them shut down for about half and hour causing the back up.

8 minutes ago, grumpyjr88 said:

That's so frustrating. My last cruise a few years ago they were good about checking boarding times. Was hoping it would be the same. 

I think they checked the first line perhaps idk. I had to wait for the parking shuttle to drop me off. But I did arrive before my 1030 am time.

We also boarded at terminal 2, the boarding arm at terminal 1 is still broke. We got off at terminal 1, and they used 6 elevators to get us down to deck 0. Breeze had terminal 2. Carnival is sharing rcl terminal on Saturdays while rcl leaves on sundays. 

The carnival employee organising debark had a swear word for Galveston and she said you would think they could order 2 of the part that keeps breaking.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

I cruised out of Galveston earlier this month. There were 2 lines then. An early/late, and an on-time.

We left out of terminal 1. The elevated gangway was broke, so we checked-in as normal and routed upstairs through the process. Then we made our way down through the baggage claim area and boarded from ground level (deck 0), just like you were in a port of call.

We cruised out of Galveston in July, and I thought they were incredibly organized.

We had 10:30 - 11:00 appointment time, boarding group A02.  We arrived at approximately 10:25 and walked right up to the terminal.  There were no lines.  As we approached the terminal they verified our appointment time, and referred us to 2 lines (one for on-time appointments and one for people outside their appointment time).  Being on time, we walked right through stopping at 2 check points, but never enough people to form a line.

Once we got up to the boarding area (it was fairly crowded) we sat down in the first chairs we found, to try to figure out if they'd started boarding yet (they had not).  

Within 5 minutes they called all passengers in suites to board first, next they started down the groups A01, A02, etc.  

We cruised out of Galveston on the Breeze on 9/13. It was pouring down rain.  Our arrival time was 12:00.  We got there at 11:45 and anticipated waiting outside the terminal till 12 to get in line. At 11:45 we were told they were letting everyone check in regardless of arrival time so we got in line to enter the terminal.

This is different from our Feb 2020 cruise where they had two different lines. One for on time and one for early/late.

Possible difference was the rainstorm? They did have a rain delay in boarding due to lightning in the area.

Edited by Bevv
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:23 AM, firefly333 said:

I completely agree with firefly333. We boarded last Saturday and saw 2 lines. No difference. People with late boarding times where in line. They do call boarding numbers when they are ready to board and looked at boarding passes before you could get through. 

Galveston is not consistent.  Sometimes you will be there and you get the impression it is the fist day on the job for all.  They do seem to have good excuses ready.  I have heard the computer glitz many times but if you look many are working on their computers.

We just got off the Breeze today.  We had a 10:30 boarding time and got there early at 9:30, so we were put in the "early/late" line.   Right around 10:00, they started letting us in and the process was very quick.  If I remember correctly, they started calling the sections right at 11:00.  We were told the capacity was around 70%, so embarkation and debarkation were much faster than normal.  We were able to get into our stateroom around 1:15 (maybe even a few minutes earlier) rather than than the expected 1:30 time.