Phone as a hot spot

cjpj

I guess I can see this on a ship but, in most cases, wouldn't it be simpler to just have everybody connect to WiFi?  I guess it would keep the password secret from those using the hotspot. Interesting. I had no idea this was possible. I had to dig a little to find it on my Galaxy S10e but it is indeed there (and was already turned on).

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I guess I can see this on a ship but, in most cases, wouldn't it be simpler to just have everybody connect to WiFi?  I guess it would keep the password secret from those using the hotspot. Interesting. I had no idea this was possible. I had to dig a little to find it on my Galaxy S10e but it is indeed there (and was already turned on).

As I understood, the main purpose of using the phone as a wi-fi hotspot is if as an example, you were having guests over for a visit and they wanted a wi-fi connection, you could connect your phone to your secure home network and you would be creating a separate guest network with a different password on the hotspot network.  This way your home network password would still remain private.  Same with business associates wanting to connect to your company wi-fi during a visit/meeting.

I hope I got this correct..🙄

I have a guest network. I don't let folks connect to the network that has access to our computers.

As for home connections:  I am always boggled when someone tells me their password is taped to the router so they can remember it because, "It's just a bunch of gobbldygook".  They think they are stuck with the Hexadecimal password their provider gave them and also think they are stuck with the name of the network that was given to them. I have friends who insisted they "had" to use those and they hated it. I changed their network to "Rick and Catherine" and set the password to one they can actually remember. Yes, the original password was more secure but I sincerely doubt it will be an issue for these folks.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As you have to enable flight mode it disables the hotspot option, so you can not share it unfortunatly, but it is really easy to swap devices quickly. A travel router will work, I have been told, if you have to use multiple devices on one connection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1