Covid Test for Travel & Timing for Canadian Traveler

cantgetaname

I know things can and likely will change but . . .  I'm wondering if any especially fellow Canadians,  If I have to get a negative test before flying to the USA, and I want to be 2 or 3 days early for my cruise, which also wants a negative test result within a few days.   How do I get the test results in time for both.   At this point I'm not even sure where to get one of the rapid tests done without having to wait up to 48 hours.  Hope I'm not too confusing with all this (but I am confused lol)

I am Canadian and recently travelled on the Odyssey and will be sailing on Oct 31 on the Allure.  

When we sailed on the Odyssey, it was still the three day rule.  We flew on Saturday and sailed on Sunday.  We could have gotten one test on Thursday that covered both but the province had us get a test Wednesday and Thursday just in case the Thursday test did not get back in time for our Saturday flight.

For our October 31 Allure cruise, which is also on a Sunday, we are flying down on Saturday again.  This means we need a test no earlier than Wednesday for the flight (3 days) and Friday for the cruise (2 days).    We COULD get PCR tests on Wednesday and Friday and hope that the Friday results come in before Sunday, but with the surge in cases here, testing is busier and the results are taking too long to come in. That is too much risk for us so we have made an appoint for Friday at a place in Fredericton that does rapid antigen tests.  They are $90pp.  It is an added cost for the trip, but worth the piece on mind.  

If you will be flying down more than 1 day before your cruise, you will need to find somewhere local in Fort Lauderdale.  Sorry I do not have any suggestions on that piece - I am sure others will chime in!

Edited by JessyCruises

Coming from SW Ontario, we were fully expecting to pay $$$ for testing prior to our travel and really wanted to time it so that a. We only had to test once and b. Pricing was "reasonable". It gets insanely costly at some labs. Swift clinics in the GTA offers PCR testing and Antigen with same day results (by midnight) if your test is done by 6PM.  You can also pay a lot to have it done pre-departure with 1-2hour turn around. 

same day was fine by us as the price was less than other labs in the our area and then we were going order at home test to our mail box stateside or to our hotel. 

16 minutes ago, RG306 said:

Coming from SW Ontario, we were fully expecting to pay $$$ for testing prior to our travel and really wanted to time it so that a. We only had to test once and b. Pricing was "reasonable". It gets insanely costly at some labs. Swift clinics in the GTA offers PCR testing and Antigen with same day results (by midnight) if your test is done by 6PM.  You can also pay a lot to have it done pre-departure with 1-2hour turn around. 

same day was fine by us as the price was less than other labs in the our area and then we were going order at home test to our mail box stateside or to our hotel. 

Is Ontario not providing testing at no cost if you need it for Travel?   They are here n NB.

Just now, JessyCruises said:

Is Ontario not providing testing at no cost if you need it for Travel?   They are here n NB.

No, testing is provided at no cost for really anything other than travel. This is basically in line with government recommendations to avoid any nonessential travel so I can't complain. 

As testing in Nova Scotia is not provided free by our government for travel we had to use another testing option. We decided to go with SRx and get a Rapid Antigen Test as that's all that's required for flying to US and for the cruise line. We booked it for the Friday before as we fly out Saturday and the cruise is Sunday. Our cruise isn't till November but I didn't want to take any chances so booked the test at a cost of $39 per person before time slots filled up. Hopefully things change by February for our cruise then as we fly in Saturday and the cruise is Monday. We then would have to find a place to test in Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSnewcruiser said:

As testing in Nova Scotia is not provided free by our government for travel we had to use another testing option. We decided to go with SRx and get a Rapid Antigen Test as that's all that's required for flying to US and for the cruise line. We booked it for the Friday before as we fly out Saturday and the cruise is Sunday. Our cruise isn't till November but I didn't want to take any chances so booked the test at a cost of $39 per person before time slots filled up. Hopefully things change by February for our cruise then as we fly in Saturday and the cruise is Monday. We then would have to find a place to test in Florida.

Is this test acceptable from the cruise line?

I’m from Ontario and travelling in Nov as well. So far I’ve only been able to find PCR tests that are $199 plus pp. We’re a family of 4 so it really adds up.

anyone have success with other pcr or antigen tests that mail to Canada?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, WMF123 said:

I’m from Ontario and travelling in Nov as well. So far I’ve only been able to find PCR tests that are $199 plus pp. We’re a family of 4 so it really adds up.

Thanks

I have been looking and have not been able to find any that will mail.  If you know someone in the US you could ship it there and they could mail it to you?

Have you checked Shoppers?  I thought they were doing rapid antigen tests at some locations for $40

27 minutes ago, WMF123 said:

Thanks

I haven't found any that mail, some shoppers are doing rapid testing for $40 and if you're flying from Toronto there are clinics in the GTA that offer rapid testing in the $50-$60 range and PCR for $159-$199.

41 minutes ago, WMF123 said:

Thanks

Rapid Antigen tests are accepted by the cruise line.SRx is in Ontario as well. If you have any questions you can call one of the clinics. A note though that pricing is different in each province.

Thanks all. Very helpful to read comments from fellow cruisers!

I’m also wondering how we can get the COVID test after cruising. Reading the cdc it looks like we need to get a COVID test (rapid antigen excl) in order to get back home.

anyone have experience with this? Does the cruise line give free test before disembarkation or do we need to buy our own kits in advance? I’m flying back the afternoon after getting off the cruise so not a lot of time in between.

3 minutes ago, WMF123 said:

I’m also wondering how we can get the COVID test after cruising. Reading the cdc it looks like we need to get a COVID test (rapid antigen excl) in order to get back home.

anyone have experience with this? Does the cruise line give free test before disembarkation or do we need to buy our own kits in advance? I’m flying back the afternoon after getting off the cruise so not a lot of time in between.

The ship will give you a test the day before getting off if your country requires it. It is also free.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, WMF123 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we need a PCR to return home to Canada. 

22 minutes ago, RG306 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we need a PCR to return home to Canada. 

10 minutes ago, cruzincanuck said:

You are correct.  At this time, we need a PCR test within the 72 hours before our flight back to Canada

The ship will take care of that for you as I posted in #15.

Shoppers, $40 ea, find one in your area, 15 min results, Antigen to fly to US and use same for cruise, coming back to re enter Can its a PCR test you need, These i know for fact.

So my Q is - Does RCL do the rapid PCR testing on board>? On every ship? (I refer to US base ports embarking and disembarking)

8 hours ago, Welly9 said:

So my Q is - Does RCL do the rapid PCR testing on board>? On every ship? (I refer to US base ports embarking and disembarking)

Most report suggest all ships have the facilities to perform whatever test is needed to get one home.