Why hasn't the Breakaway left on its cruise from NY yet?

Nancy8250

I just booked my Thanksgiving Breakaway cruise from NOLA!

So excited. 

We sailed before on Sun, Spirit and Jewel and It will be our first time on a “big” NCL ship.

Will greatly appreciate if somebody can share post-Covid experience on Breakaway: is everything open and working? MDR menus, wine and beer lists, etc.

Also I thought I had to make reservations for shows but that doesn’t show up on the NCL website.

40 minutes ago, lixogab said:

I just booked my Thanksgiving Breakaway cruise from NOLA!

So excited. 

We sailed before on Sun, Spirit and Jewel and It will be our first time on a “big” NCL ship.

Will greatly appreciate if somebody can share post-Covid experience on Breakaway: is everything open and working? MDR menus, wine and beer lists, etc.

Also I thought I had to make reservations for shows but that doesn’t show up on the NCL website.

You might find more about your specific sailing at this (Roll Call) link:

Leaving tomorrow on Breakaway. I've done my homework and have all the paperwork ready. Lets see how it goes. I'll report back lol Driving down from Boston tomorrow AM are port time is 130 to 200 I got a lot of calls and emails this week from NCL after last week I'm sure they are trying to get the word out about what you need to do with regards to Bermuda. I feel like there will still be a bunch of people who don't have auth. from Bermuda but we will see!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ttiot9999 said:

Leaving tomorrow on Breakaway. I've done my homework and have all the paperwork ready. Lets see how it goes. I'll report back lol Driving down from Boston tomorrow AM are port time is 130 to 200 I got a lot of calls and emails this week from NCL after last week I'm sure they are trying to get the word out about what you need to do with regards to Bermuda. I feel like there will still be a bunch of people who don't have auth. from Bermuda but we will see!!!!

Enjoy our cruise!  Let us know how the  parking and traffic are we are also driving from Boston on the 17th

On 9/30/2021 at 1:18 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

No I’m not. I highly doubt that I’m near any specific strangers for more than  cumulative the amount of time I’m near a stranger during dinner at a local restaurant. Did you forget that NCL has freestyle dining where I’m NOT forced to spend time with the same strangers night after night?

Okay Mr Anti Social. We see how you are! I’m not spending my time hanging out with you at the bar then! 😜 LOL!  (Actually, I’m pretty sure you and I are Not on the same cruise… which sucks cause you seem like someone who would have been fun to chat with). 😄

• Like 1

So we are off on The Breakaway got to terminal 1230 on boat 215 lots of paperwork covid stuff very organized lots of people working left at 445 almost breaking land now its fantastic the boat is empty only 1400 people at 35% i was told really a once in a lifetime experience everything went smooth 

• Like 3

On 9/26/2021 at 8:47 PM, Seany527 said:

Wonder if NCL will issue some people onboard credit.
When Celebrity had a mixup with testing/paperwork for a cruise out of Port Everglades they issued each cabin either $100 or $200. I can’t recall the exact amount. 

NO credit was issued.. Many people did not follow the guidance about Bermuda TA. Many said they did not receive the e-mails, phone calls, or the e-mails went to junk mail Not making any judgments). NCL made the decision to delay departure to help the folks out. Many had to pay a high price to go get a rapid PCR test. I assume if they did not want to do this they just walked away. Those of us who had the proper paperwork, were on board eating/drinking/swimming etc. We were not really inconvenienced, just got to see the city all lit up. Only issue was for those of us who like to be on the forward top deck under the bridge it was after 10 PM and pretty chilly.

I had no expectation of OBC.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 6:35 PM, mking8288 said:

Per their Roll Call - one of the CC regulars posted the headcount, per ship's captain ... about 1,300 souls on the Sept 26th sailing.  That's about 30% of its typical occupancy (4,300 to 4,600 but could be higher/closer to 4,900+ for peak/holiday cruises that's fully booked & sold out)

Assuming that crew counts are near normal, it's better than 1:1 ratio ... nice & mucho personal attention everywhere ... and, they are still posting live & blogging, nice to have the unlimited satellite WiFi package

P.S.  interesting that results from the Upgrade Advantage bidding success were not seen/read or reported here. as there should be plenty of vacant & unsold cabins and easy to maintain social distancing 😆

I asked Alvin the cruise director, he said 1815 passengers. During the Captains Q and A he said a little over 1800. The Captain said they were 40 persons short of a full crew. That is a lot of crew for less than 50% occupancy. Walking through the Garden Cafe last Sunday, lots of servers and chefs just waiting to say hi and welcome aboard. Many people cleaning and saying "washy washy". Crew members happy to be back to work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Biffire said:

NO credit was issued.. Many people did not follow the guidance about Bermuda TA. Many said they did not receive the e-mails, phone calls, or the e-mails went to junk mail Not making any judgments). NCL made the decision to delay departure to help the folks out. Many had to pay a high price to go get a rapid PCR test. I assume if they did not want to do this they just walked away. Those of us who had the proper paperwork, were on board eating/drinking/swimming etc. We were not really inconvenienced, just got to see the city all lit up. Only issue was for those of us who like to be on the forward top deck under the bridge it was after 10 PM and pretty chilly.

I had no expectation of OBC.

Oh I completely understand. And I expect nothing less from NCL. Just showing a contrast between the two brands and how they handle a similar situation. 

4 hours ago, Seany527 said:

Oh I completely understand. And I expect nothing less from NCL. Just showing a contrast between the two brands and how they handle a similar situation. 

Not sure if the situation is similar. There is no mixup with paperwork on the NCL side. Bermuda government requires some paperwork. It’s the passengers responsibility to follow the news and have all required paperwork, tests, visas, etc.

Many passengers were not diligent enough to follow the instructions even though NCL sent a reminder.

NCL could easily deny boarding to those passengers but instead they helped the passenger delaying the departure.

I could understand if the passengers who followed the rules and boarded timely got couple of free drinks while waiting for other guys but an OBC for everyone? Doesn’t make sense for me.

• Like 4