Policy for going ashore

Pvbgirl

8 hours ago, Pvbgirl said:

Does anyone know the current policy for going ashore in Spain and Portugal?  Can you go independently or does it have to be with a ship excursion?

My understanding is that Spain is reviewing its going ashore independently policy on a weekly basis so it's impossible to say with certainty  It could also be a very last minute so you may not find out until just before your cruise or even on it if there's a policy update. Azamara haven't been to Spain since the restart. Quest arrives there for the first time on 3rd November in Barcelona. 

I'm doing the Spain intensive cruise in November and very much hoping to be able to get off by myself, but am managing my expectations. 

Phil 

• Like 5

There is a big difference between general leisure activities and what the port and national authorities will allow cruise ships to do.  The cruise industry is fighting an unfair uphill reputational battle still thanks to the behaviour of one line in March 2019.  As soon as they’ve reached the end of their negotiations Azamara will tell you.  Fingers crossed for everyone that it’s good news. 

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, uktog said:

There is a big difference between general leisure activities and what the port and national authorities will allow cruise ships to do.  The cruise industry is fighting an unfair uphill reputational battle still thanks to the behaviour of one line in March 2019.  As soon as they’ve reached the end of their negotiations Azamara will tell you.  Fingers crossed for everyone that it’s good news. 

2020 I think. It just seems Covid has been going longer 😉

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

2020 I think. It just seems Covid has been going longer 😉

Phil 

Haha remember I was working in China in 2019 …..I have my suspicions……😂😂😂😂

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks now before our 4th November Azamara Quest cruise and still no definitive statement re independent shore excursions. P and O have said no restrictions from 24th Oct, people travelling on Spanish holidays have no restrictions, why can Azamara not be more specific than "the situation is Fluid"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gazzer159 said:

Two weeks now before our 4th November Azamara Quest cruise and still no definitive statement re independent shore excursions. P and O have said no restrictions from 24th Oct, people travelling on Spanish holidays have no restrictions, why can Azamara not be more specific than "the situation is Fluid"

Because the situation can change at any time and Azamara can't be certain. Spain were reviewing independent touring on a weekly basis. It might not be a decision that can be made until the ship sails and may even change part way through the cruise. 

Phil 

• Like 2

I suspect Azamara is being vague - and accurate - the situation is fluid.  The other lines have in the past had to retract some of their guidance.  Probably better to say nothing until they are totally sure.  It not only depends on the sailing you are on but the following one.  They have to have one eye on entering the USA and the impact of calls in Europe on their ability to stop mid Atlantic and in the USA as some guests and all the crew are making the following cruises.

Be prepared for bubble tours only and anything beyond that is a real positive bonus 🙂 

• Like 3

I’m on the Nov. 4 Spain cruise and received an email from Azamara yesterday, which included this info regarding visiting the ports:

• Going Ashore in Spain
    • Views on independent exploration by international visitors vary by country and by port of call. This remains a very fluid situation and can change on short notice. We strongly recommend you book an Azamara Shore Excursion that operates with the same health protocols we employ onboard for your peace of mind. Shuttle services have been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19 protocols. In some destinations where either local authorities or current conditions require, you will need to purchase an Azamara tour to go ashore. Both group and private experiences are available. Our shore excursions are available to book on-line by logging into your Voyage Planner or through one of our Destination Insiders who can create a customized Private Journey for you. Our Destination Insiders can craft a personalized excursion just for you that adopts the same protocols for a healthy ashore visit.
    • Guests traveling with unvaccinated children under 12 in their party may only go ashore on a private Azamara shore excursion, exclusive to their traveling party. Our onboard shore excursion team are standing by to assist you in the planning of your private tours.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are also on the November 4th Spain Intensive cruise. We have purchased the ship excursion for Granada on Your Own and tickets to see Alhambra. If it does not happen, my loss is minimal. It won't be the first time I have lost money because of COVID and probably not the last.

• Like 4