Back to back, 2 different cruise lines

montecarloss

21 minutes ago, montecarloss said:

We are going on a cruise out of Miami on the 5th, returning on the 14th. Thinking of continuing on another cruise line on the 14th. Is it just a matter of walking down the port to the new ship? Any foreseeable problems?

I did that in 2019, but from FT Lauderdale and Miami. 

Once you walk off the first cruise you are on your own and can go to the second ship. 

My only suggestion in these days of Covid, use the internet to check on the second cruise to be sure there are no surprises when you get to the second cruise.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, montecarloss said:

We are going on a cruise out of Miami on the 5th, returning on the 14th. Thinking of continuing on another cruise line on the 14th. Is it just a matter of walking down the port to the new ship? Any foreseeable problems?

Potential complications:  Have you read (and clearly understand) any/all protocols for each, and every ports which EACH ships will stop!  Also, ship protocols/requirements?

Even so, there are foreseeable problems that COULD arise.  What if you cannot get required documents while on cruise A in time for cruise B? (Timing can be a huge issue!)

Are you willing to pay extra $$ for PCR tests onboard NCL to have for cruise B (IF needed)?  Will timing meet any/all requirements for cruise B?

Hopefully, you have good trip insurance for all of the "What ifs."

Edited by ggTexasGal
added info

2 hours ago, montecarloss said:

We did it once with two different cruise lines and the biggest problem was finding a taxi that was willing to just get a small fare for taking us to the new cruise line even though the two cruise lines might be far apart . And the walk between can be difficult especially with dragging your luggage.

2 hours ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

We did it once with two different cruise lines and the biggest problem was finding a taxi that was willing to just get a small fare for taking us to the new cruise line even though the two cruise lines might be far apart . And the walk between can be difficult especially with dragging your luggage.

Exactly.  Even 2 ships in the same port may be further apart than you care to walk with luggage.  And there may or may not be an easy path between the two.  I would approach a taxi and say "I'll give you $25 to take me to the other ship".  Probably the best $25 ever spent.  

That said, if I found my 2 ships were only a ship or 2 apart, I'd probably try to walk it.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

If you really wanted to do two different ships/cruiselines, I would have a day on land in between if possible. That way you would have a whole day to get a rapid test or PCR test for the cruise, you could go to a cheap extended stay hotel and get some laundry done, etc.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, montecarloss said:

Thanks for the reminder about the testing for the second cruise, will have to check it out. Probably easier just to do b2b on the same ship.

yes, i was thinking of doing a sideways between 2 lines but the covid testing requirements made me think twice.

now thinking of doing a sideways on same line.

one option is 2 days inbetween the cruises. can probably find a cvs for free antigen test that only takes hrs for a result if weekday.

the other is a true sideways where one cruise ends at 7am and you go on the next cruiseship by 3pm the same day.

the current cruiseship *SHOULD* be offering you a free antigen test just like a b2b on same cruise.

but i worry about how to receive the results to show the next cruise ship?

(I did a b2b last month on celebrity on the night before debarkation and they said if i dont hear from them i pass the covid test)

Edited by fstuff1

We are doing this April/May..Odyssey Miami to Rome...NCL Gem (next day) Rome to Greece/Venice. I went to FB cruise Port page and have lined up a local who will assist us if needed to get another test the day we get into Rome. Our back up plan would be to purchase a couple EMed tests and take them with us

FWIW I met two sets of passengers last week on the Gem that were doing B2B cruises. From what they told me, they did NOT have to submit to a second Covid test in between. Were they lying? Maybe, but they seemed honest, so there you go....