~*Cruise Planning Timeline*~

raina*faith

I have to say, on our first cruise we learned the hard way too! In Labadee we paid for an expensive excursion. By the time we got to Jamaica we got into port and found out that there were plenty of local people ready to take us to Dunns River Falls.

We paid more than 50% below the cruise ship price by just asking the locals. Spent all day with a taxi cab host and loved the falls! Now saving money is what makes my husband excited about my planning. (a big plus is that we are not running around wasting precious time) ;)

thanks for the timeline!

I do a few of your suggestions at different times as the cruise gets closer, no real set times. Since we book our cruises over a year in advance I use the feel method. Lots of other major things going on all the time.

The main point: I enjoy planning ahead. I enjoy musing over the fun we will be having. I enjoy being with my wife on our vacation and letting her relax and be pampered.

My tip is the binder with the subject tabs. I even print off the answers to specific questions from these boards (for my own use). One subject section I find useful is to print street maps of the ports of call, cut them down to size and paste to cardboard, then punch out holes for the binder rings.

Just my idea of a good time.

John

I was just ready an issue of Woman's Day, and in the back was different organizer books.

Just thought I'd share the site with you all since we're on the subject: http://shop.womansday.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=739

Looks like it might help get some people organized, it seems to have important pockets/features.

Oh what fun: obsessive planners. I agree that half the fun of a cruise is in the planning.

For our Alaska trip, for instance, I had all my excursions booked independently and talked about what fun it would be. Then I realized that instead of just walking on a glacier I wanted to mush dogs on a glacier, so contacted the agency and upgraded to the more expensive trip, realizing that I might never get back to Alaska.

Pulling out those maps really helps. If you know you want to see several things but the transit time back to the ship and then to the second excursion would eat up almost 2 hours, you find a way, a cab, or ask the first excursion to drop you etc.

For you husbands who say, "can't you just go and have a good time?" I say, "what if you got back to the ship and your table mates told you about this wonderful excursion they'd done and you'd never heard of it, and wished you'd gone? If you have a planning wife, she not only will have heard of it, she will have figured out if it can be done along with the tour you already have your hearts set on doing. If it is possible, she will have booked it in such a way as above re Alaska, that you can have your cake and eat it, too.

I keep just a manilla folder of various ship deck plans, itineraries, the attendant maps and excursions that go with them, and then can make up my mind between a couple of cruises I'm researching.

Then when my selection has been made I can cull info from different manilla folders and place them into the one for the cruise we will be doing.

I have cost lists, too. You just have to look at everything. So what if the cost per day is $80 per person and the ship doesn't go where you really want to go? That's not a bargain. Or there's a great 11 nighter that goes to 4 ports you've already been to & 2 must see ports, as opposed to a 7 nighter that contains 3 new ports which include your 2 must see ports.

it's just a bunch of decisions you have to make that are dependent on so many things like the amount of time you have, the amount it will cost, how tiring it will be etc.

Are you willing to risk a new cruise line you really don't want to use just to save a few bucks?

And my favorite part of list making is checking them off as they are completed.

It is so good to know that there are others out there that are just like me!

Yep, I've got the binder going, the accordian files (large for home and small for my travel bag), the suitcases started in the guest bedroom, the lists on Excel, the cruise books ordered from Amazon, and pda full of lists, and the knowledge that I have cc members to help with any and every question I can dream up!

Years ago we were planning our first Disney trip and I made matching outfits (in bright neon colors) for all of the girls and myself (dh and ds wouldn't wear the shirts!) and everyone was making fun of me! But, it was so easy to spot each other in the crowds that they agreed I did the right thing!

One thing I have discovered is that even though everyone makes fun of me, when we need a map to get to the hotel, I have it! If they want something special to do, I have it planned! If they want a particular place to eat, I know where it is! You guys know the drill....

I also agree that half the fun is in the planning. I too have an overnight bag packed just in case we get a wild hair, but I anticipate the planning!

It's the details (like the luggage tags) that make it so fun for me! I guess that's why I'm an event planner as part of my job!

Guilty as charged!:D Like some have said, all that planning not only provides me with a great deal of pleasure before the cruise (or any trip, really), but also allows us to relax & enjoy our time together. The moment we leave the house, my go-with-the-flow alter ego comes out and we're on an adventure! My DH also brags about my research with his friends, etc. For example: we're going on our first Carnival cruise & had I not been here and read the boards, I would not have known that Carnival would give us each a $168 discount because DH has an honorable discharge from Viet Nam.:eek: Who'dve thought? Thanks for the timeline - the only addition I have is "hire pet sitters":) .

We need to plan our "therapy."

Who's wants to be in charge of:

Destination

Activities

Daytime

Evening

Food/Beverages

Lodging

Entertainment

Theme

Invitations

Gifts and Awards

Sponsors

Syllabus' or other related handbooks

Travel

Decorations

Gosh, I know I'm forgetting something..........

Did you know you can put a hold on your mail online now? www.usps.com and you don't have to even print anything out--info goes straight to the post office! Not sure how long it takes to get the information transferred--I usually do it about a week before I leave town. You can enter the start date and end date and specify if you want the accumulated mail delivered or you want to pick it up (who would opt to do that if they didn't have to??)

My husband, while not nearly as planning-obsessed as I am, does enjoy the anticipatory aspects of planning a trip by surfing the web at night and looking at photos of places/ships, etc. When we get on the plane, we let it all go and have a drink or two and just enjoy the trip:p

Years ago we were planning our first Disney trip and I made matching outfits (in bright neon colors) for all of the girls and myself (dh and ds wouldn't wear the shirts!) and everyone was making fun of me! But, it was so easy to spot each other in the crowds that they agreed I did the right thing!

My mom did the same thing for our childhood southern California theme park trip. Each morning she pulled out a packet with matching halters and shorts for she, I and sister, a tank and shorts for dad. -Not in neon, but in bright mid-70's prints. You can picture it.

Sure enough in one park my sister got seperated - Mom swears she never "lost" either of us. Mom walked me over to a park employee and told him she was looking for another - 4 inches taller, red hair, same outfit. They spotted my sister before he could finish radioing the discription.

We swore never to wear matching outfits again, but they did the trick. My sister and I always laugh looking back at those pictures - what a wardrobe :) :) .

Wow, I thought I had OCD or something. (probably do, but) It's nice to know that there are others out there that are planners like me. I love the planning part! I'm getting my notebook together and realized that an "At A Glance" page would be helpful so, I'm adding a page called:

Our Family Cruise Vacation At A Glance

• name of ship
  • date of cruise
  • a document check (just a check off sheet that all docs are in place)
  • bags packed check (I have a large family cruising, so I am designating days that their bag should be pack and with what before we cruise)
  • Crown & Anchor Numbers
  • Room Numbers (and of family cruising with us)
  • A layout of our deck
  • Important phone numbers
  • check off list for the house (lights, dog at doggie hotel, mail, etc.)

and probably more before I'm finished. Right now, I'm working on our 8 month detailed timeline.

My wife is a list maker. At her work she has one of those desk calendars that most people (read I :D ) just scribble on. Each day as much as 3 months in advance is listed out with specific things needed that day. if it doesnt get crossed off, it moves to the next day.

Now as for cruising. I havent seen a list but I know it exists. This is what I picture tho (I am probably missing 15 things too).

2 years - 2 months before: plan debate and finally book:D

6 weeks: Plan every days outfits (she does make a list for every day of clothes)

About 2 months: set up babysitting for dogs.

6 weeks - 2 weeks before: shop for said outfits

2 weeks - 1 week: pack

last week: clean house, double check everything

My list as running in my head:

From time of booking till cruise play on Cruise Critic webpage

2 weeks before, pack then realize I need X, go get X feel good.

Get on cruise, unpack and realize I didnt bring Y and now have 2 X's:eek:

(side note) first cruise, we got onboard to realize the only shirts I had were for formal night. I will keep cruising till I get it right!:D

I have always been the planner as my kids were growing up. I always got teased but they followed happily when I had the appropriate information. One time, when the kids were grown and we went to Orlando with children and grandchildren, my husband and I offered to babysit so the kids could go out and have an evening to themselves. I went in to check on the kids and when I came out, my husband told me that the kids had all gotten into the car and then discussed where they were going to go. One of them said, "What would Mom do?" and my son came in and scooped up a bunch of the brochures that I had left on the table!!

Dottie

Oh I am definitely a list maker and the organizer of all of our cruises. My planning for the next cruise starts even before we leave for our current cruise as I am looking for a cruise to book so that I can book onboard and get my onboard credit for booking while onboard. I have a list for everything no detail is left to chance. packing lists, activity list, things I can't miss lists you name it I've got it. Now of course that doesn't mean I get so caught up in the list that I don't have time to enjoy the cruise. Some days I through caution to the wind and just go with the moment but in the back of my mind I'm rehashing information from my lists.

I put together a cruise timeline for when I get onto the ship. Then when the actual trip arrives I kinda do what I want...that way I have two vacations the one I dreamed about and planned for and the actual one. And the best part is I only paid for one vacation!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Add my name to the List Makers Club. But this thread is sadly lacking one thing: LISTS! I thought I'd come in here and see dozens of lists to compare with mine, see what my list was missing. The one or two lists listed need lots more detail.

When for example:

Doctor - perscription renewals, travel shots if needed, mole removal

Dentist - teeth cleaning/whitening, check for loose fillings

Eye doctor - has your eyeglass perscription changed?

Hair salon - you want to look good for those boarding photos

Manicure/pedicure/waxings - if the spa prices are out of your budget

Tanning salon - some of us (me) don't go on cruises all the time

Kennel/sitter - research/reserve

Drycleaner - tux/suit/gown...do your favorite shoes need new heels?

When is too early or too late to get your passport or travel shots?

And last of all...fess up - how many of you planners REALLY stop planning once you get on the cruise? Is that a HIGHLIGHTER I see on your list for marking on the Daily Patter things you don't want to miss?

I was reading this thread and cracking up. Being a mom, I have to make lists or someone in the family will be upset during vacation! This time we aren't bringing the kids (4 years and 11 months) and now I have to make lists of what they need at grandma's house!! Trust me, I on't want to be called while on the ship by grandma saying "Where is the sippy cup!!!"

Ahh, vacations are fun :)

In addition to most of the aforementioned I have an envelope for each port and specific day with confirmations, localized maps and places of interest to us; just remember to put the proper envelope in your purse each day (usually do it the night before when I plan my out-fit).

The map came in really handy in Fll when our taxi needed a short cut when the draw bridge was backed up going into town. Though it was a flat rate ride, she said she shaved twenty 20 min. off the normal detour. She kept the map and got a tip.

Passport--at least 4 months in advance (I think, double check the state dept website--can take a long time to process. Of course, once you have it, it's good for 10 years--as an adult--so now I just make sure mine isn't going to expire within 6 months of proposed travel--most countries won't let you in if your passport will expire that soon)

Shoes--get new shoes in enough time that you can TOTALLY break them in. For walking shoes, that's several miles of walking. For evening/heels, that might just be a couple nights. Whatever it is, make sure you do it. Who wants blisters on vacation??

Kennels--would think that depends on how popular your local kennel is AND how popular the time you plan to vacation is. Your local kennel should be able to tell you how far you need to reserve in advance:p

Personally, I get a bikini wax 3 days before travel because I often experience discomfort and pretty much nothing is as bad as sitting on a plane for 4 hours with that kind of discomfort!! Pedicure--day before. And I don't do manicures (I'm a gardener:rolleyes: Clean and moisturized is as much as I can expect)

Hair salon--at least 2 weeks prior to vacation--my hair is long and I want a chance to "break in" any new cuts. If my hair were short and I needed a haircut once a month or more often, that schedule would be different. Same with coloring--usually a week before travel so if I screw up, I have time to fix it;)

Add me as well to the list ~ They don't call me Ms. Hallmark, Ms. Post-It Note Queen and Ms. Martha Stewart for nothing!

I am an avid list maker and planner, organizer and clean-freak! I always send out Hallmark cards for EVERY occasion and I never miss an opportunity to make a list or plan something for someone. This month, I have 1 wedding shower and 3 baby showers to plan for people, including doing all the games, food, decorations, etc. I totally love it!

Same thing goes for going on a vacation and our next cruise! My husband thinks I am so crazy, but when he asks for something, he KNOWS that I will have it or have a way to get it done and soon! I always like pack a cooler when we go anywhere with sodas, water and snacks and never forget it. Hubby can always count on that, he says! And also being a mom, I have lists for my 2-year old when going to grandma's and grandpa's for the weekend and such!

I have my folder with 8 slots ready to our cruise in October. Even went to the bank a month ago and exchanged a $50 bill for 50 brand new $1 bills and have them filed. Those are for tipping and such! I wanted new bills for our cruise. I guess you would say I am OCD also! But I just love it!

of the "Overplanning, But Loving It Club" :D .

Our first cruise I started planning immediately upon booking (about 7-8 months out). Had the accordian file going, multiple Word documents (lists, contact numbers, confirmation numbers). I dug out the suitcase probably 2-3 months ahead of time :o and started digging out summer clothing, getting new summer clothing, toiletries (LOVE the "trial-sized" section at the store, LOL) and throwing it in there. I'll admit, I was packed (all but the "zippering", LOL) probably 2 weeks before we left, LOL. I also picked up the items I read about here on CC...the thermal mugs, disposable rain ponchos, lanyards, etc. and kept 2 for DH and I, and passed 2 onto the couple going with us (who thought I was a freak, for sure). Here's one I haven't read yet on this thread...I had a CHART for what DH and I were going to wear...separated into daily sections for "day wear", "evening wear", "accessories" (right down to my shoes and jewelry, LOL), etc. :D

Let me tell you, once again, they were singing a different tune when things went SMOOTH as SILK on the trip. I knew when to be at the port, where to go once we boarded, where the shops were that we wanted to hit in port, the "recommended" dishes at dinner.

Needless to say, I was voted to plan our upcoming one as well (only 410 days to go!).

Archived