"Always included" - false advertising?

ak1004

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The Loyalty rate is open to anyone with a CC# including Preview members. 

I know that. I made the assumption @Morecruises1 didn't have a CC number as they said this was their first Celebrity cruise and didn't mention if they have cruised with RC or Azamara. Of course they would have a CC number if they have cruised with RC and have C&A number or cruised with Azamara.

Edited by davekathy

In the booking process when you choose the cabin category you want, a "Guarantee" cabin may be included in the choices. That choice does not give you "Always Included." It also does not allow for military, police/EMT or resident discounts.  Other normal discounts occasionally offered by X and in effect at time of booking will apply. Always Included applies to all choices except the Guarantee which is cruise only, even in the suite category. In other words, If you book a Guarantee Sky Suite you will not receive the four perks normally applied to that booking. 

It's easy, Always Included applies to all bookings except Guarantee or Cruise Only cabins. Book one of those if AI confuses or offends you. 

• Like 1

@Spif BarwunkelNot completely true. At least in this case, it must have been a website error. Many people here, including I, booked a cruise with a specific cabin. In my case, it was a specific Royal Suite. Not only did it not have Always Included with the booking, it didn't include the Indulge Perks that are supposed to come with the cabin. 

To add insult to injury, after I was on hold yesterday for 45 minutes to rectify my booking on my suite with Celebrity, they sent me an invoice for $680 more than I originally booked which was supposed to include all perks. Today, my booking was increased again because yesterday's fare evidently didn't include tips. I'm back on hold with Celebrity again. I'm trying to transfer this booking to my TA, but it's been frustrating and misleading.

I was surprised to see that discounted rates (military, interline, things like that) have AI fares available.  We just booked an excellent interline rate with AI (actually notated as ALWY iirc) and hope that it filters to our booking appropriately.  The 'upgrade' was very reasonable.  If you're using discounted rates, it might be worth calling in or using a TA, as I had difficulty convincing the website to apply both a discounted rate and the AI package.

48 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

It's easy, Always Included applies to all bookings except Guarantee or Cruise Only cabins. Book one of those if AI confuses or offends you. 

Well, it's only "easy" if one can easily determine what a "Cruise Only cabin" is.  It's not that straightforward at the moment.  As a number of us have expressed in this and other threads, the current loyalty promotion results in a "cruise only" fare without indicating so.  In fact, if you are booking suite, a great deal of the marketing that is quite prominent throughout the booking leads one to believe that the perks are included.

28 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

@Spif BarwunkelNot completely true. At least in this case, it must have been a website error. Many people here, including I, booked a cruise with a specific cabin. In my case, it was a specific Royal Suite. Not only did it not have Always Included with the booking, it didn't include the Indulge Perks that are supposed to come with the cabin. 

To add insult to injury, after I was on hold yesterday for 45 minutes to rectify my booking on my suite with Celebrity, they sent me an invoice for $680 more than I originally booked which was supposed to include all perks. Today, my booking was increased again because yesterday's fare evidently didn't include tips. I'm back on hold with Celebrity again. I'm trying to transfer this booking to my TA, but it's been frustrating and misleading.

High level Suites, such as the one you booked, are very few and have specific locations. No "Guarantee" options here. Indeed, you should be receiving all amenities due you. I don't understand why you are having problems. However, I am sure that it will be rectified. As it should be.

20 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Well, it's only "easy" if one can easily determine what a "Cruise Only cabin" is.  It's not that straightforward at the moment.  As a number of us have expressed in this and other threads, the current loyalty promotion results in a "cruise only" fare without indicating so.  In fact, if you are booking suite, a great deal of the marketing that is quite prominent throughout the booking leads one to believe that the perks are included.

As previously mentioned, a Cruise Only cabin is a Guarantee cabin. When you reach the final page in the booking process you are able to see exactly what you are getting for your hard-earned dollars, including the perks. Is that not so? If you wish that to be different, adjust accordingly.  

4 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

As previously mentioned, a Cruise Only cabin is a Guarantee cabin. When you reach the final page in the booking process you are able to see exactly what you are getting for your hard-earned dollars, including the perks. Is that not so? If you wish that to be different, adjust accordingly.  

It's not a guarantee fare.  You can choose your stateroom.

As far as the final page, it's also not straightforward.  While it's true that the perks are not listed on the final page, that is something you wouldn't notice unless you already knew what to look for.  At the same time, there is nothing on that page that indicates a cruise only fare in a straightforward fashion, especially when every other page leads one to believe that the perks are included, such as this one:

1154250030_Screenshot(10).thumb.png.da1beb03e3bc5c1cb482f5d00383f5b3.png

Sure, the labyrinth is easy to get out of once you know the secret.

11 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

It's not a guarantee fare.  You can choose your stateroom.

As far as the final page, it's also not straightforward.  While it's true that the perks are not listed on the final page, that is something you wouldn't notice unless you already knew what to look for.  At the same time, there is nothing on that page that indicates a cruise only fare in a straightforward fashion, especially when every other page leads one to believe that the perks are included, such as this one:

1154250030_Screenshot(10).thumb.png.da1beb03e3bc5c1cb482f5d00383f5b3.png

Sure, the labyrinth is easy to get out of once you know the secret.

Your example is "You Choose", "We Choose", that is NOT Guarantee. You cannot choose a Guarantee cabin, X does it for you.

@Spif Barwunkel I am cautiously optimistic to report that after today's second call to Celebrity (with another 45 minute wait), they have completely fixed my booking to the original price I booked on October 17 with all of the Indulge suite level perks included. This is reflected on my third invoice. All in, it reduced my amount due on the invoice this morning by $1080. It just takes fortitude. ☺️

No doubt I should have booked through a TA to leave the heavy lifting to the professionals!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Your example is "You Choose", "We Choose", that is NOT Guarantee. You cannot choose a Guarantee cabin, X does it for you.

Correct under X's crazy system you have "we choose" and "you choose" which are both AI rates.

Then Simply Sail which is really the guaranteed rate (no tips, drinks or internet) only available on a very few cruises.

Confused further by occasional residents offers, CC offers etc.

The solution is simple:

1) a base price including tips.

2) everything else as optional extras.

No one loses:

If you like AI pricing just add the drinks, internet or both

If you don't like AI you book the basic

Solo passengers don't get stung for 2 internet and 2 drinks packages.

If you like the above just tell Celebrity.

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

In the booking process when you choose the cabin category you want, a "Guarantee" cabin may be included in the choices. That choice does not give you "Always Included." It also does not allow for military, police/EMT or resident discounts.  Other normal discounts occasionally offered by X and in effect at time of booking will apply. Always Included applies to all choices except the Guarantee which is cruise only, even in the suite category. In other words, If you book a Guarantee Sky Suite you will not receive the four perks normally applied to that booking. 

True, but it's  only obvious to the informed Celebrity cruiser here unlike someone coming to the Royal cruiser who isn't warned what's not included but is touted the Always Included marketing tag.

So again, the marketing tag should be changed to it's "Always Included except when it's not.  Gotcha."

I wonder how many people at Celebrity stay up all night thinking of ways to do this to their customers?

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are looking at or where you are seeing no AI rate is available. Did you put a CC# in the booking? If so, that's the issue. Remove it and AI rates are available. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.37.27 PM.png

That is correct there was no AI rate on line when I booked but when I CALLED and spoke with someone they were able to add it on for me (at a cost) - so now I can't price match as there is no comparison available on line - I think I have to just call them if I see the 'base rate' change?

6 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

That's what I said. I could choose the cabin. It was not a guarantee fare. That screenshot was after I entered my CC number and, as such, would not receive the very perks clearly advertised at the top of the very same page. 

9 hours ago, DCPIV said:

That's what I said. I could choose the cabin. It was not a guarantee fare. That screenshot was after I entered my CC number and, as such, would not receive the very perks clearly advertised at the top of the very same page. 

So if you pay attention when booking, isn't it obvious when you have AI perks and when you don't???

14 hours ago, Froufie said:

That is correct there was no AI rate on line when I booked but when I CALLED and spoke with someone they were able to add it on for me (at a cost) - so now I can't price match as there is no comparison available on line - I think I have to just call them if I see the 'base rate' change?

You paid a la carte for drinks/WiFi/gratuities or does your booking show the rate code as ALWAYS INC?

If it's ALWAYS INC, just look at the prices on the website, it's the same thing. 

15 hours ago, misterkevin said:

@Spif Barwunkel I am cautiously optimistic to report that after today's second call to Celebrity (with another 45 minute wait), they have completely fixed my booking to the original price I booked on October 17 with all of the Indulge suite level perks included. This is reflected on my third invoice. All in, it reduced my amount due on the invoice this morning by $1080. It just takes fortitude. ☺️

No doubt I should have booked through a TA to leave the heavy lifting to the professionals!

Don't know that I would completely absolve myself of the booking process. Aside from the frustration of long telephone wait times, the importance of speaking for yourself is crucial. Granted, for a TA it's all part of the job but when that TA has several other clients to whom he/she is responsible, perhaps at the end of the day someone is going to get short-changed. You speak for you. A TA speaks for many.

Pat yourself on the back, you got it done. It ain't heavy, it's less money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still can't get the gratuities to show as paid on my account where this happened to.  Under "Already Booked"--->"View Vacation"--->Manage your vacation tab----->reservation details it still shows "Add Gratuities" and has a place for me to pay even when I paid extra for the "Retreat NRD" upgrade.  A call to Celebrity still can't get it fixed.  This is the worst service I have ever had with a cruise company EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

cruise.jpg

Edited by Morecruises1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

So if you pay attention when booking, isn't it obvious when you have AI perks and when you don't???

It is obvious when you do, as they are listed on the last "lock it in" page.  However, it is not obvious when you don't have those perks unless you've affirmatively chosen a "cruise only" or "simply sail" fare.

Again, the marketing throughout the booking process, including the page where the fare is quoted, shows over and over that suites have always have all these perks.  Frankly, even if you're paying attention, why wouldn't one then believe that they would be there unless one had affirmatively chosen a "cruise only" or "simply sail" fare?  Everything says it is.

If you look at a menu that says "all hamburgers come with fries," would you think you need to ask your server if the hamburger you just ordered came with fries?  If you presented a coupon for $2 off your hamburger and that coupon said nothing more than "$2 off," would you be unpleasantly surprised when your burger showed up without fries?  Would you be a bit ticked off when your server told you that the coupon price didn't include fries but that you could add them back for a buck?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morecruises1 said:

I still can't get the gratuities to show as paid on my account where this happened to.  Under "Already Booked"--->"View Vacation"--->Manage your vacation tab----->reservation details it still shows "Add Gratuities" and has a place for me to pay even when I paid extra for the "Retreat NRD" upgrade.  A call to Celebrity still can't get it fixed.  This is the worst service I have ever had with a cruise company EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

cruise.jpg

I have seen that on my bookings in the past, too.  I always ignore the "Add Gratuities"!  I think their booking WEB site needs a "going over" and refreshed.

Still, I am just at a loss to how anyone things "Simply Sail" or "Guarantee" cabins include anything extra? To me, it's clear, like all other nomenclatures on other cruise lines, you either book a cheap, no frills fare, or you take all the goodies.  Different names, but Celebrity calls theirs "Always Included", or, the fare where everything is always included.  It's not "cheap fares" have everything included.  It's not "fares that are nothing more than the ticket to get on the ship and nothing more" have all the perks included.  

"Guarantee"-Guaranteed a cabin, in the particular cabin type you're booking.

"Simply Sail"-You "simply" have a ticket that gets you on a ship to sail.  Nothing else is outlined to be included.

"Always Included"-all the perks are included in your fare, regardless of cabin type

I understand it and I'm not the most understanding person to begin with.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DCPIV said:

It is obvious when you do, as they are listed on the last "lock it in" page.  However, it is not obvious when you don't have those perks unless you've affirmatively chosen a "cruise only" or "simply sail" fare.

Again, the marketing throughout the booking process, including the page where the fare is quoted, shows over and over that suites have always have all these perks.  Frankly, even if you're paying attention, why wouldn't one then believe that they would be there unless one had affirmatively chosen a "cruise only" or "simply sail" fare?  Everything says it is.

If you look at a menu that says "all hamburgers come with fries," would you think you need to ask your server if the hamburger you just ordered came with fries?  If you presented a coupon for $2 off your hamburger and that coupon said nothing more than "$2 off," would you be unpleasantly surprised when your burger showed up without fries?  Would you be a bit ticked off when your server told you that the coupon price didn't include fries but that you could add them back for a buck?

Except in my experience it is you can add fries back for $2