PCR test for Canadians returning home

tlens

51 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I know you do B2B cruises, Ken, we are doing an almost B2B in early February - we get off Silhouette on Feb 4 and embark Reflection on Feb 5. Are the onboard Ag tests done on the last day of cruising?

I know things may change a lot by February, but I don’t think testing will be dropped until 2023 or late 22. I’m going to get the home tests as a backup, but I’m not sure I can get any with appropriate expiration dates yet. 

Yes, they give you the antigen test the day before disembarkation which we just tested negative for so we can reboard the ship tomorrow for the next leg. Yay!!

50 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We’re on the same Silhouette cruise and flying home on the 5th, fortunately have a 7am flight so we should be ok with the 24 hour limitation for testing. It’s typical Celebrity that Ken is told testing will be conducted in the terminal after disembarking and yet Celebrity’s latest update indicates it’ll be done onboard prior to disembarking. Still not sure whether they mean day of disembarking or day prior. 

I just now followed the recommendation at post #4 by Jeremiah1212 (below) to see what the latest guidance Celebrity has posted on their website. Of course as with most things these days, this guidance is as of today and may change again tomorrow.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:09 PM, Jeremiah1212 said:

I found the following which tells me this subject has become quite fluid and as such the final guidance on where, who pays for it, and when the PCR test will be given will be provided once onboard, as was the case with the Canadian couple I met yesterday on the Apex while at the wine tasting seminar.

Travel Home – US and Abroad

Unvaccinated children are required to take an RT-PCR test prior to re-entry for voyages 4 nights or longer.

Details regarding testing for home country re-entry will be provided onboard.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I'm wondering how it will work for B2B cruises.  I have a B2B booked Feb/Mar.22 and I am confused by the following which I got off the Celebrity site. (I will attach it here.)  It seems that they will now be charging $95 for a PCR test to get back to Canada ... but the cost will be covered on a B2B.  Maybe someone can clarify what this article means.  I have a couple of questions.

1.  Firstly, will this test be done while you are on board?  Because previously, it stated that should you test positive while onboard ... Celebrity takes care of all details ... medical, quarantine and flight home.  If they now do the test at the port, you are off the ship. Does that mean no expenses will be covered and you're on your own?  Obviously, if you are Positive, you would have contacted it while onboard.  What happens now?
2.  If you are on a B2B, do they just need to do an Antigen test between cruises and the PCR before disembarking the 2nd cruise?  Would that be done onboard and at Celebrity's expense?   

Here's the article ...

No description available.

GOOD NEWS!  I just got the answer to my questions on Facebook.  I believe Celebrity got so much flak that they have changed their tune.  They say they are just 'clarifying' matters.  I'm pretty sure there was so much backlash, that they had to retract what they said previously.   Someone attached an email they received today from Celebrity.  Only NEW BOOKINGS made after Nov. 16/21 will be charged the $95. for the PCR Test.
HOPE THIS ANSWERS EVERYONE'S QUESTION.
Here is the link plus I have copied and pasted the wording from Celebrity.

"Dear Guest,

We recently reached out to provide an update for our international guests requiring home country re-entry COVID-19 testing as well as testing for guests sailing on back-to-back cruises. At this time, we would like to provide some additional clarification.

Currently all fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive complimentary testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required.

We are pleased to clarify this offering will continue for all existing bookings. As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR test.

Guests sailing on back-to-back cruises must show proof of vaccination and are required to take a COVID-19 test producing negative results between each sailing. Guests who are not fully vaccinated or are not eligible to be vaccinated, are not able to sail on back-to back-cruises.

For guests sailing back-to-back on any Celebrity Cruises ship, complimentary testing will be provided onboard. Effective November 16, 2021, if sailing on another cruise brand, guests will be responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs.

We apologize for any confusion and look forward to providing you an amazing cruise vacation. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.

Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises
Edited by luv2cruise0611
  • Like 2

While this resolves the issue for many, those of us who have flights booked for the day following disembarkation, the 24 hour rule they are now imposing means we can no longer be tested aboard, even if we are willing to pay. It's a pity they haven't applied the same time lines as they have for pre-cruise testing, anything within two days.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, luv2cruise0611 said:

GOOD NEWS!  I just got the answer to my questions on Facebook.  I believe Celebrity got so much flak that they have changed their tune.  They say they are just 'clarifying' matters.  I'm pretty sure there was so much backlash, that they had to retract what they said previously.   Someone attached an email they received today from Celebrity.  Only NEW BOOKINGS made after Nov. 16/21 will be charged the $95. for the PCR Test.

"
11 hours ago, luv2cruise0611 said:

"Dear Guest,

We recently reached out to provide an update for our international guests requiring home country re-entry COVID-19 testing as well as testing for guests sailing on back-to-back cruises. At this time, we would like to provide some additional clarification.

Currently all fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive complimentary testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required.

We are pleased to clarify this offering will continue for all existing bookings. As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR test.

Guests sailing on back-to-back cruises must show proof of vaccination and are required to take a COVID-19 test producing negative results between each sailing. Guests who are not fully vaccinated or are not eligible to be vaccinated, are not able to sail on back-to back-cruises.

For guests sailing back-to-back on any Celebrity Cruises ship, complimentary testing will be provided onboard. Effective November 16, 2021, if sailing on another cruise brand, guests will be responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs.

We apologize for any confusion and look forward to providing you an amazing cruise vacation. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.

Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises

Can you please direct me to the FB page where you asked this question?  I would like to address some of my questions to them as well - I am especially concerned, as mentioned, about the 24 hr timeframe... given many of us have made flight arrangements that are slightly beyond that window - how strict will they be?  And if we can't get the test onboard will there be provisions (in the cruise terminal, post cruise) to get this testing done?  I am hoping for as 'stress free' as possible end to my vacation!  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

Can you please direct me to the FB page where you asked this question?  I would like to address some of my questions to them as well - I am especially concerned, as mentioned, about the 24 hr timeframe... given many of us have made flight arrangements that are slightly beyond that window - how strict will they be?  And if we can't get the test onboard will there be provisions (in the cruise terminal, post cruise) to get this testing done?  I am hoping for as 'stress free' as possible end to my vacation!  Thanks!

I posted my question in these 3 groups, and I got answers in all.  These groups provide a wealth of information.  You will have to join the groups to post.
Celebrity Cruise Line All Aboard
Celebrity Cruises Captain's Club

Life Well Cruised - Cruise Community Group

Edited by luv2cruise0611
  • Thanks 1

I just sent my TA an email asking her to reach out to Celebrity for clarification on the sentence

"Effective November 16, 2021, if sailing on another cruise brand, guests will be responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs" 

We have a Royal Caribbean cruise that sails the day our Reflection cruise ends and had planned to have the antigen test on Reflection.   If they do not provide the testing onboard Reflection I see our choices as doing the monitored self test the last sea day or cancelling one of the two cruises. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I just sent my TA an email asking her to reach out to Celebrity for clarification on the sentence

"Effective November 16, 2021, if sailing on another cruise brand, guests will be responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs" 

We have a Royal Caribbean cruise that sails the day our Reflection cruise ends and had planned to have the antigen test on Reflection.   If they do not provide the testing onboard Reflection I see our choices as doing the monitored self test the last sea day or cancelling one of the two cruises. 

I agree.  It seems that with that wording, you are responsible for your own test and a self test would be your only option, other than cancelling.  It's a pity because Celebrity IS under the RCCL umbrella, and shouldn't be considered another cruise brand. Good luck.  Let us know what Celebrity says.

Celebrity may have changed their minds again: a Canadian travel agent just posted a youtube video indicating that he complained to Celebrity about the charge for the test. Allegedly, Celebrity is now saying you will have to pay for the test but you will be given back the cost of the test in onboard credit. I have no idea how that will work, so keep your eyes pealed for official word from Celebrity.  Things are Sooooo confusing right now. I hope they change by the time we cruise in June since we will be stopping in Vancouver before heading home to the USA and not sure if we will need a test to fly then or not.

Edited by mtnlvr53
took out name of travel agent in case it's against the rules

59 minutes ago, mtnlvr53 said:

Celebrity may have changed their minds again: a Canadian travel agent just posted a youtube video indicating that he complained to Celebrity about the charge for the test. Allegedly, Celebrity is now saying you will have to pay for the test but you will be given back the cost of the test in onboard credit. I have no idea how that will work, so keep your eyes pealed for official word from Celebrity.  Things are Sooooo confusing right now. I hope they change by the time we cruise in June since we will be stopping in Vancouver before heading home to the USA and not sure if we will need a test to fly then or not.

I just watched the video you are referring to and the charge/onboard credit option is only being offered for cruises up until December 31st of this year.  I think everyone is hoping the testing rules might change after that - but who knows?  I am cruising in January so this is not helpful to me right now! 😞

2 hours ago, luv2cruise0611 said:

I posted my question in these 3 groups, and I got answers in all.  These groups provide a wealth of information.  You will have to join the groups to post.

Thanks a bunch - group memberships pending!  LOL

Apparently Celebrity said as of 16th  that for Canadians and International travellers you have to show proof of travel and pay $95 USD/pp......2 days after that announcement they now has said they will provide OBC to cover the costs of these shots till end of 2021.   

This information comes from Don's Family Vacations on youtube he is a Canadian travel agent who spoke with Celebrity and posted this information today.

12 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We are in the same boat.  We are going from Equinox to Odyssey and then to Symphony.  Per our discussion with Celebrity, they will not provide the test (even for a fee).  Unfortunately, they are not grandfathering current bookings, and we don't even have time to order the at home proctored tests.  Their suggestion was to call RCCL.  Still going in circles.

17 hours ago, Froufie said:

I would like to know the answers as well as I (will be) in the same situation!

3 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

I was advised by my industry travel contact for Celebrity, that flying out the next day (anytime) would be considered within their 24 hour window.  It sounds like they are doing 1 day opposed to 24 hours as stated in their policy.  Again, the clarity of their message sent to clients and the travel industry is vague.  

23 minutes ago, wendycook22 said:

I was advised by my industry travel contact for Celebrity, that flying out the next day (anytime) would be considered within their 24 hour window.  It sounds like they are doing 1 day opposed to 24 hours as stated in their policy.  Again, the clarity of their message sent to clients and the travel industry is vague.  

wendycook22, thank you so very much for this information! 😀

• Like 1

20 hours ago, luv2cruise0611 said:

Just to confirm these are not 'official Celebrity facebook pages - just cruisers posting what they know or have found out?  Nothing official?

5 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

I think we might need to call that phone number on the 'change of testing protocol' email - not just the usual Celebrity number - wondering if they can clarify the timing and what options are available if they are not flexible with that?  (1-844-418-6824)

2 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

Thanks for keeping us up to date. As a next day flyer, this is great news.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

That is awesome news!!  Hope everyone on the ships get that same message as well. Lol. 

would hate to be turned away as my flight home is the next afternoon!

• Like 1

Yes, I am flying out the following day,  late afternoon/early evening. My flight does not depart until after 5:00pm, so regardless of disembarkation time I would be well outside of the 24 hours.  I used my situation as an example and was informed anytime the next day would be considered 24hours.  Which leaves me to believe it is the 1 day rule, not a specific or strict 24 hour period.  

Edited by wendycook22

6 minutes ago, wendycook22 said:

Yes, I am flying out the following day,  late afternoon/early evening. My flight is not depart until after 5:00pm, so regardless of disembarkation time I was well outside of the 24 hours.  I used my situation as an example and was informed anytime the next day would be considered inside of the 24hours.  Which leaves me to believe it is the 1 day rule, no a specific or strict 24 hour period.  

I've been advocating Celebrity applying the same approach as their two-day rule for pre-cruise testing, and it seems that this is what they've done. You can get tested on the last full day of the cruise if you fly out during the next two days. 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

Yes, I am flying out the following day,  late afternoon/early evening. My flight does not depart until after 5:00pm, so regardless of disembarkation time I would be well outside of the 24 hours.  I used my situation as an example and was informed anytime the next day would be considered 24hours.  Which leaves me to believe it is the 1 day rule, not a specific or strict 24 hour period.  

so it this going to be indicated in 'writing' somewhere?  Would love to see it online or in an email or something like that?