Observations From The Poop Deck (Revisited)

morpheusofthesea

Both the Carnival Magic and the MSC Meraviglia pulled into port on either side of us this morning.  In Nassau, all guests wishing to go ashore must wear masks  in doors and outdoors and must disembark on an excursion provided by Celebrity Cruises. Regardless of vaccination status, all guests visiting main attractions must show proof of a vaccination card.

IMG_1322.jpg

21 hours ago, Edward51 said:

We are being tested today on the Edge at 5 pm.  uThis is for non US citizens.  Results by Friday evening.

tested on what? On an amount of alcohol consumption? Weight gain/loss? Stress released level?

The Dream Voyage of the future (in one's closet):

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2021 at 12:01 PM, lggfly said:

Loving your reports (and pictures).  We will be on the next sailing (Oct 9th).  Any word on expected number of passengers?

Found out this morning from the waiters that your cruise will have "slightly" more guests than this cruise (1100). The only cruise, in the foreseeable future, with less guests will be last cruise in November.

14 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Found out this morning from the waiters that your cruise will have "slightly" more guests than this cruise (1100). The only cruise, in the foreseeable future, with less guests will be last cruise in November.

Thank you for checking and thanks again for your reports.  I actually communicated with my Celebrity Agent (first time I ever booked directly with a cruise line) two days ago and he told me they have around 850 confirmed.  Either way, we are more than ready to board!

11 minutes ago, lggfly said:

Thank you for checking and thanks again for your reports.  I actually communicated with my Celebrity Agent (first time I ever booked directly with a cruise line) two days ago and he told me they have around 850 confirmed.  Either way, we are more than ready to board!

Funny how everybody one talks to has a different number. We got the 1100 figure for this cruise from Capt. Costas on stage one evening. The difference between booking directly and finding a TA. Is finding a TA that will 'wheel and deal.' 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Normal people always begin a book from the beginning.

Define “normal people”.  There is no such. Everything is relative!

“a book from the beginning” - that’s precisely what I tried to accomplish 2 years and 9 months ago when I booked a Seabourn Amazon cruise on a brand new yacht for March 2022.  Needless to say, the cruise line was forced to cancel it a 1.5 years ago and reschedule a few times, and now it is in March 2023 already (that’s almost 4.5 years of waiting!), and the Lord knows whether even that will occur.  To be on a “safe” side, i just in case booked another cruise for January 2024. People are laughing - it is so far away! Really?! - I say. In March 2020 I thought that April 2020 is actually far away… and here we are… in the middle of nowhere… (actually don’t even know whether in the middle or in the beginning).

Edited by kirtihk
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Define “normal people”.  There is no such. Everything is relative!

“a book from the beginning” - that’s precisely what I tried to accomplish 2 years and 9 months ago when I booked a Seabourn Amazon cruise on a brand new yacht for March 2022.  Needless to say, the cruise line was forced to cancel it a 1.5 years ago and reschedule a few times, and now it is in March 2023 already (that’s almost 4.5 years of waiting!), and the Lord knows whether even that will occur.  To be on a “safe” side, incense booked another cruise for January 2024. People are laughing - it is so far away! Really?! - I say. In March 2920 I thought that April 2020 is actually far away… and here we are… in the middle of nowhere… (actually don’t even know whether in the middle or in the beginning).

Oh dear...

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

I booked a Seabourn Amazon cruise on a brand new yacht for March 2022.

This is what I am referring to. Normal people begin at the beginning. This book or thread or postings are at the start of the Cruise Critic Headings "Celebrity Cruises". My theme is an attempt to relay to fellow enthusiasts of this cruise line and in particular this ship the Edge, my 'trials and tribulations' on this one ship at this one particular time. No specious attempts, no complaints (except about nuts everywhere), appreciating and the very grateful attempt of this cruise line to provides us all with a safe way to get back to cruising. We all have our 'horror' stories of past events, but as far as we avid cruisers are concerned, it is 'all water under the bridge'. We can only recommend that you do the same for your own well-being and frame of mind. Cast off your loses into the deep blue sea and sail forth on a new dream vacation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This is what I am referring to. Normal people begin at the beginning. This book or thread or postings are at the start of the Cruise Critic Headings "Celebrity Cruises". My theme is an attempt to relay to fellow enthusiasts of this cruise line and in particular this ship the Edge, my 'trials and tribulations' on this one ship at this one particular time. No specious attempts, no complaints (except about nuts everywhere), appreciating and the very grateful attempt of this cruise line to provides us all with a safe way to get back to cruising. We all have our 'horror' stories of past events, but as far as we avid cruisers are concerned, it is 'all water under the bridge'. We can only recommend that you do the same for your own well-being and frame of mind. Cast off your loses into the deep blue sea and sail forth on a new dream vacation.

I would extrapolate that 15% of the population of passengers aboard currently are indeed nuts and were I aboard that would include me!!!

Thus, we would be everywhere.... LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Funny how everybody one talks to has a different number. We got the 1100 figure for this cruise from Capt. Costas on stage one evening. The difference between booking directly and finding a TA. Is finding a TA that will 'wheel and deal.' 

I've always used an online TA.  One in particular seems to always have the highest OBC as a way of "discounting" the rates.  This time, I wanted some specific info about cabin locations, so I called Celebrity and spoke to a salesperson.  At the end of the conversation, I informed him that I would love to book through him, but the online TA offered substantial additional OBCs and was therefore a much better deal than what Celebrity was offering.  Long story short, they checked my online TA site and then matched it.  Surprised the heck out of me.  The Celebrity sales rep has been most responsive during the entire process (even after booking and paying).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Love your blog! Any more details on why the last cruise of November (after Thanksgiving I assume you mean) will have less? We are booked on the November 28th sailing - just curious 🙂

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GREG781 said:

Love your blog! Any more details on why the last cruise of November (after Thanksgiving I assume you mean) will have less? We are booked on the November 28th sailing - just curious 🙂

No idea. Could be traditionally a slump time between holidays ? Better keep a DAILY watch on price drops between now and then. One canNOT rely on even a good, wheeling and dealing, TA to do that for any of us.

14 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

No idea. Could be traditionally a slump time between holidays ? Better keep a DAILY watch on price drops between now and then. One canNOT rely on even a good, wheeling and dealing, TA to do that for any of us.

It is a daily habit for me - price checking! BTW, we were on your same itinerary 3 weeks ago. Was outstanding in all aspects. 

Edited by GREG781
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Accepted.  The Edge it is - I was on it in April-May 2019 on the Atlantic crossing (one of first cruises for this ship).  The spa and the Eden are the best part.  While walking back to the ship in Lisbon, I broke 5 ribs (I only knew it 8 days later when returned home) on the beautiful famous Portuguese pavement (calçada portuguesa) - it rarely rains there, but on that day it was pouring rain, and also there was a lot of dust film on pavement from construction occurring near the port.  I kept my spirit up during the rest of the cruise (dancing, socializing, swimming even though a simple movement was causing a lot of pain, and I couldn't sleep all night each night).  So, yes, I'm a very enthusiastic person, and really believe that the madness will pass.  After living in Russia the first 31 years of my life (I left in 1991) there is nothing left but hope and keeping my soul inlighted.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

there is nothing left but hope and keeping my soul inlighted

I have read your post several times. Writing and connecting with people of like interests can certainly be a catharsis of ones soul. Your command of the English language is surprising considering some emigres to this country. You must have many wonderful stories you can relate to us and enlighten us in the process.We get enough 'horror stories' every night on TV. Our Retreat host while showing us the suite asked if we wanted to see how the TV comes out of the ceiling remotely. I said don't bother, we don't watch TV. None of us on CC want to hear about tragedy unless it was a direct cause of a cruise line and we can learn something from the mistakes made.

15 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I have read your post several times. Writing and connecting with people of like interests can certainly be a catharsis of ones soul. Your command of the English language is surprising considering some emigres to this country. You must have many wonderful stories you can relate to us and enlighten us in the process. We get enough 'horror stories' every night on TV. Our Retreat host while showing us the suite asked if we wanted to see how the TV comes out of the ceiling remotely. I said don't bother, we don't watch TV. None of us on CC want to hear about tragedy unless it was a direct cause of a cruise line and we can learn something from the mistakes made.

Sounds great! I wish I meet  you on one of cruises.  Yes, my stories are endless (40+ cruises and beyond of cruising (resorts, land trips...) including booking- and air-related stories, pre- and post-cruise stories, and more).

Mikhail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your intrepid investigative reporter found out a couple of items. Went to Fine Cut tonight and asked the Maitre d' about the tables set up outside on the deck. He said it was only used for dining while the Edge was in Europe. Whether or not it will be used this winter season is still an unknown. He attributed it to the weather. Just like the Magic Carpet dinner is only on the Apex, but not on the Edge.

While having our second dessert this last evening in the Oceanview Cafe our Maitre D' of the Luminae was tracking down a suite guest who hadn't visited the Luminae all week. This suite guest had just moments ago charged a drink in the Oceanview and the Maitre d' was hot on this guest's trail, determined to track him down and invite him and his suite party to dine in the Luminae. This is unprecedented in the annuals of cruising on the high seas.

It has been another successful, very enjoyable , very fulfilling cruise. The 'elephant in the room' was addressed at last nights encore performance of "Uptown Influences", Capt. Costas was pleased to announce there were no cases of covid on board this cruise. Celebrity Cruises has done an outstanding job at providing a safe environment for both its crew and passengers. We look forward to sailing again with Celebrity on its Equinox this coming Thanksgiving and hope to report once again my observations from the Poop Deck.  We are just now approaching the lite up skyline of Ft. Lauderdale. I will sign off with a quote from Immanuel Kant who said "The key to happiness was having something to do, someone to love, and something to look forward to."  Godspeed !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for taking us on this trip.  One more week and it is my turn.

When in our 1st aqua cabin on the 2nd part of a B2B we decided we preferred the MDR and arranged to eat there every night.  About mid cruise the Maitre D of Blu came to the dining room to find out what was wrong and why we were not eating in Blu. I think they take their job very seriously and want to do what ever it takes to please you.

• Thanks 1

Great news about no COVID cases on board. We can only hope this continues. I’ll be waiting awhile before we cruise as there are too many hoops to go through from Canada. I can always read your postings and will be looking forward to your Thanksgiving cruise. We’re celebrating our Thanksgiving in Canada on Monday. See you in November.

• Like 1