Chair hogs on Epic

SpainAlien

On 10/3/2021 at 10:45 AM, Nataly1982 said:

On Epic. When you collect towels you have to hand over your key card and you get a receipt for deposit, $30 per towel. At the end of the day you return the towels and a paper receipt. You can see all the deposit IN and OUTS on your onboard account. I guess if you fail to return the towels you are charged for the deposit.

On the Encore in August, we asked for towels at the towel station and were just handed 2 without them asking even for our room numbers.

Wait, people leave random objects on sun chairs to "reserve" them? I thought those items were gifts from the cruise line, "like look a bottle of sunscreen, hears a pair of sunglasses, perhaps you might enjoy this random book." Over the years I've gotten many bottles of sunscreen, tons of sun glasses, and countless random books. Who knew there was such a thing as sun chair etiquette?

• Haha 13

Completely new to cruising, going in Dec with friends, all new to cruising. So what happens if you move someone's towels? If they aren't in the area for hours, why cant you just sit there? Has anyone ever moved towels?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jezabel80 said:

Again with the attitude.    I don't care if you agree or disagree with me.   I don't think what i said was controversial.  It was a statement, a pondering,  that I'm sure other people may wonder.  I still don't get what the big deal is,  why this statement would bother you so much.   If "I don't understand why" offends you, so be it. Have a good day!!   

Everyone has an attitude...you, me, and everyone else. Fact of life. You don't have to mention what you don't care about (unless you mention it to show that you actually do). Nobody said what you said was controversial. IF I had to put a label on it (and I didn't), I'd call it lazy. It is easy to say "I don't understand", but it takes a little effort to educate yourself so you don't have to say that. Maybe now you can "get it" to use your phrase. Maybe not.

1 hour ago, chispa27 said:

Completely new to cruising, going in Dec with friends, all new to cruising. So what happens if you move someone's towels? If they aren't in the area for hours, why cant you just sit there? Has anyone ever moved towels?

Honestly, are you really going to stand there for hours just to make sure they aren't actually in the area so you know its OK to move their towels?

On 10/5/2021 at 8:36 PM, SeaShark said:

Honestly, are you really going to stand there for hours just to make sure they aren't actually in the area so you know its OK to move their towels?

That's exactly what I'm going to do! Stand around and watch. 🙄

Thank you for your valuable input to the discussion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:43 AM, Nataly1982 said:

We were on Epic 2 weeks ago. One day we head out to pool just after 12 o’clock and could not find a free sun bed anywhere on the ship. We walked around for 45 minutes, around main pool, Spice H2O, deck 18, all taken, half of them with only a towel or pair of flip flops on. Mind there were piles of chairs strapped together but not put in use. Complained to staff, said there is a limited number of chairs to practice social distancing. I was furious. Ended up going up to H2O and put towels on the floor and went for a dip. Problem solved.

Next day we decided to become chair hogs. Only reserving chairs with beach towels (for which we put down $60 deposit). Sorry but not sorry. Call me selfish but until NCL starts consistently enforcing the policy across all the fleet we’ll just do what majority of people do. 

I don’t blame you. If plenty of others are reserving chairs, and the cruise line isn’t doing anything about it why shouldn’t you?  If we go out the first morning an can’t find a good place to sit because all the chairs are reserved with towels, we will do the same thing the next morning. Fool me once your fault, fool me twice…

• Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 4:16 PM, jezabel80 said:

Again with the attitude.    I don't care if you agree or disagree with me.   I don't think what i said was controversial.  It was a statement, a pondering,  that I'm sure other people may wonder.  I still don't get what the big deal is,  why this statement would bother you so much.   If "I don't understand why" offends you, so be it. Have a good day!!   

It's what SeaShark does.  Probably makes him/her feel good, probably compensating for something.  There are ways to ignore/hide certain posters, I can't recall how off the top of my head but hiding people like SeaShark makes the CruiseCritic experience much, much better.  IMO.

Edited: On a desktop computer, I was able to hover over the name of a poster and it offers me the opportunity to "ignore" that poster.  

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2021 at 9:40 PM, chispa27 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  Please don't let one A$$ ruin your experience.  Over the years I have gleaned some very helpful tips and tricks that have enhanced my overall cruising experience.

Sometimes others will disagree with you and offer logical arguments for a different perspective and then there are a very few who will make personal attacks just to see if they are getting a rise out of people.  We meet these kinds of people in everyday life and we know how to deal with them.  Best thing to do, in my opinion, is not respond to their provocations.

Enjoy Cruise Critic, I for one am looking forward to reading your input in the future.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried to show you the gaping flaw in the question itself, but instead of seeing it and realizing "I hadn't thought of that", you decided to play "shoot the messenger" and make it personal. Let me start over and attempt to answer another way . . .

On 10/5/2021 at 9:40 PM, chispa27 said:

Nothing will happen. You might have a confrontation when the person returns, but nobody will punish you for moving the towels....especially if that person hasn't been in the area for hours. If you don't know specifically who the person actually is, there is no way to know that they are not "in the area"...they could be 5 feet from you. I just don't see how you can tell how long it has been since the person has been in the area. It could be a few minutes, half an hour, or many hours...how can you tell?

I really want to know. (No sarcasm in that statement, btw)

On 10/2/2021 at 4:05 AM, SpainAlien said:

They are out in force today on our sea day. I have a couple of sunbeds that we are occupying at the moment, we have been here since 9am (1 hour) we are the only people actually sitting here in a group of about 20 sunbeds and yet every bed has a towel. I have spoken to one of the crew and he said they allow one hour!  So I pointed out that we are the only people here and have been for an hour so he put a sticker on the sunbeds presumably giving them another hour, in the meantime people are wandering about looking for somewhere to sit, it's disgraceful 

Here is Cruise Critics Advice:

7 Ways to Outsmart Deck Chair Hogs (cruisecritic.com)

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Here is Cruise Critics Advice:

7 Ways to Outsmart Deck Chair Hogs (cruisecritic.com)

The crew will never remove the stuff left on a chair.  They don't want to upset the hogs who think they are privileged, instead of trying to help those who abide by the rules. This applies to all Cruise lines. Seen it on NCL, Celebrity, MSC. Princess, RCI, etc.

Why try to keep a client who creates problems instead of those who follow the rules?  

You see this daily,  people who always break the rules. The complainers, Karens, get their way.  

It's not right,  but it will never change. 

Stay Safe! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 5:31 AM, Goldconnection said:

I don’t understand the mentality of the so call chair hog and those that bake themselves in the sun. I personally don’t sunbathe. Blessed to have a beautiful natural even tan. 😉 This is my personal opinion, please respect it.

Chair hogs don't just victimize lounge chairs.  Last week on Encore, I saw them on the Observation Lounge as well.  There were two prime spots wasted by chair hogs.  The entire time I was there, it was empty.  Lots of people looking for a place to sit though.

They're also in the main theater.  Some inconsiderate person holding an entire row.  And in the end, the entire party didn't even show up.  More wasted seats.

You can't legislate good behavior, unfortunately.  Rules won't cancel out years of bad upbringing.

Edited by mpk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mpk said:

Chair hogs don't just victimize lounge chairs.  Last week on Encore, I saw them on the Observation Lounge as well.  There were two prime spots wasted by chair hogs.  The entire time I was there, it was empty.  Lots of people looking for a place to sit though.

They're also in the main theater.  Some inconsiderate person holding an entire row.  And in the end, the entire party didn't even show up.  More wasted seats.

You can't legislate good behavior, unfortunately.  Rules won't cancel out years of bad upbringing.

So very true!!!

On 10/3/2021 at 9:01 AM, Sthrngary said:

Yes, this in every single cruise that I have been on. Where I just move the towels and sit down, my wife won't let me do it.  She says, "someone will come back and it will create a scene."  My response is, "Good". 

This is the reason I started to book the "Haven".  Not the only reason but one of the reasons.  This behavior is like over filling your plate in a buffet when they finally put out the shrimp or steak.  The crew can never win when they enforce the rule of one hour. 

Cruise Well.

Unfortunately the chair hogs can exist in the Haven, too. Our first Haven cruise, on the Epic, had a whole (like 15) family of chair hogs. Would go out early and throw their stuff on the loungers, taking up all of the good, sunny ones. Money can’t buy class.

1 hour ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Unfortunately the chair hogs can exist in the Haven, too. Our first Haven cruise, on the Epic, had a whole (like 15) family of chair hogs. Would go out early and throw their stuff on the loungers, taking up all of the good, sunny ones. Money can’t buy class.

True that.  However, in the Haven, I will collect the towels and put them aside.  It will allow me to have a hobby on a cruise.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

The courtyard steward tend to be good and remove them after a time. Did you not try the wee bit up at deck 18. We only discovered this wee section after two cruises. Lovely and secluded. Only thing is you need to get your own drinks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yinster said:

The courtyard steward tend to be good and remove them after a time. Did you not try the wee bit up at deck 18. We only discovered this wee section after two cruises. Lovely and secluded. Only thing is you need to get your own drinks.

Yes, we found that little place. However, we prefer to be close to the pool and hot tubs, as well as drink service.  They took over those, too, playing football in the little pool. 🙄

• 3 weeks later...