Vancouver hotels

flamingos

I did a search and can't find any recent information - if we fly to Vancouver a couple days before the cruise to relax and get acclimated to the time zone, where is a good place to stay?  Any recommendations of things to do in a day, or two?  Thanks.

I would suggest giving a little bit more information.  Have you been to Vancouver before? Are you wanting to do city tours or regional tours?  Are you interested in being in the downtown core or would you like to stay away from the concrete jungle? Are you mobile, active, or just looking for a relaxing place to stroll around? Dining preferences?

We just booked a Harbour View King suite at the Auberge. Walking distance to the terminal, and a good rate for us at about 330 USD for the night. We're on the May 29, 2022 sailing and considered the Pan Pacific but we found the bedding situation awkward for our group since they only offer 2 doubles, or a king + rollaway if available for an extra fee.

You can see the harbour/terminal between the high rises, and you're relatively close to several areas we wanted to see. We'll likely get a bus pass to get around for our sightseeing.

I've never stayed there, but reviews are good so after comparing about 10 hotels in the area, this is where we decided on. Hope that helps. 🙂

• Like 1

Huh, I live in Vancouver and had never even heard of the Auberge before. Looks like it's the Terminal City Club rebranded?

As LobsterNight said, a bit more information about how you want to spend your time, your budget, etc. will help with recommendations. Off the top of my head, the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront are closest to Canada Place, but the Pinnacle Harbourfront, the Marriott Downtown and the Hyatt Regency are also close by and good choices.

• Like 2

Yes, a bit more information would help in giving recommendations.  We have stayed in Vancouver numerous times—before/after cruises and for family vacations.  We love visiting Stanley Park, Granville Market, pub crawling and bicycling/spending time by English Bay.  We’ve driven to Vancouver, have taken the train and have flown into the city. Public transportation is quite good and easy to use.  If you do stay at a hotel not in the downtown area, it is easy to catch a cab to the pier.

We’ve stayed at the Pinnacle, the Sheraton, the Sylvia, Times Square Suites and the Fairmont.  I would stay at all of these again depending on what we have planned.  All very different but all met our travel needs.  One of my favorite is the Sylvia—older but reminds me of some of the older hotels in SF.  

Post cruise, we always stay at a hotel that is within walking distance of Canada Place.  We disembarked one time when there were three other ships in port—we waited over an hour for a taxi!  Never again!  

We are staying at the Fairmont Waterfront before our June 2022 cruise.  I chose this hotel because we are cruising with a large group—some of whom have never been to Vancouver—and we wanted a hotel close to the pier, easy access from the airport and close to some good restaurants/pubs.

We've never been, and plan to come in on Friday for a Sunday departure.  I'm fine with staying right in cities; we are walkers so as long as we can get to pubs, restaurants and perhaps a museum or park, we're happy. The Chinese gardens look fabulous.

We prefer to stay under $200 USD per night, but can splurge for something spectacular.

Thanks.

My mother loves the Sylvia Hotel Vancouver.

I do more business trips than cruise trips to Vancouver, but the Pan Pacific Vancouver and Fairmont Waterfront qualify as "spectacular". My favorites and usual choices are the Sutton Place and Fairmont Hotel Vancouver.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OrcaGirl said:

Huh, I live in Vancouver and had never even heard of the Auberge before. Looks like it's the Terminal City Club rebranded?

As LobsterNight said, a bit more information about how you want to spend your time, your budget, etc. will help with recommendations. Off the top of my head, the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront are closest to Canada Place, but the Pinnacle Harbourfront, the Marriott Downtown and the Hyatt Regency are also close by and good choices.

We stayed at the Auberge before our cruise in August 2018.  Very nice rooms and you do enter the building at the Terminal City Club.  We walked (mostly downhill) to the cruise terminal.    I would stay here again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flamingos said:

I'm fine with staying right in cities; we are walkers so as long as we can get to pubs, restaurants and perhaps a museum or park, we're happy. The Chinese gardens look fabulous.

The downtown core and just beyond is very walkable, though some stretches are more interesting and lively than others.  The missus and I regularly drive downtown for dinner (got to know where the good free parking is 😃) and do a bit of a walking circuit, normally including a part of the seawall.

There are also some areas though (like in all major cities) which, I wouldn't go as far as saying is dangerous, but are or can be not very pleasant.  For example, if you are referring to the Sun Yat Sen gardens, the gardens are nice but the vicinity can get a touch sketchy at times; though that doesn't stop us from picking up some pastries on the block over every so often.  

On 10/3/2021 at 3:36 PM, flamingos said:

Any recommendations of things to do in a day, or two?  Thanks.

Beyond the obvious ones that pop up at the top of any google search (Granville Island, Stanley Park, Seawall, etc):

Shipyards Night Market.  Friday nights starting roughly in May.  You have to take a $3-4, 10 minute commuter ferry across the harbour.  Live music, food trucks/vendors, crafts, etc.  Restaurants nearby.  Great view of downtown Vancouver.

Depending on the weekendas we get into the warmer, drier months, there are a lot of festivals in and around downtown.  There's obviously more the further out but may not be worth your time for a first time visit with only a day or two.

• Like 2

Milhouse is quite right.  Seeing as you really only have one full day perhaps downtown is your best bet.  There are many tours available from there, a hop on hop off bus may be your best bet.  Lots of hotels near the cruise dock.  Definitely consider that and a walk along coal harbour to Stanley Park, bike rentals also available near park entrance.  Consider Harbour Air and take a quick scenic flight on a float plane to see all of the city, or tour the North Shore across the harbour, Grouse Mountain and/or Capilano Suspension Bridge are decent destinations.  You can stay at the Pan Pacific right at the cruise dock, but lots of nice hotels close by.

As a resident of North Vancouver I would also highly encourage an alternate destination to cross the harbour and stay in the Shipyard District. Three hotels there, Lonsdale Quay which may be small and dated, sorry its been 29 years since last stay.  The Pinnacle Hotel, never stayed but nice lobby/bar, Seaside Hotel, just a few years old, very nice, all around $160CDN.  Night markets are fun, food trucks, beer gardens, artisans. Lots of restaurants within easy walk, too many coffee shops and sushi bars lol.  But everything from McFood to fine dining and everything inbetween.  I like Seaside Provisions happy hour, buck a shuck oysters and the Wagyu Beef. Like pubs? Lots of craft breweries and distilleries within an easy walk, best part is its all downhill on the way home.  Speaking of walks the Spirit Trail runs through there, to the East it can get a little industrial, West takes you through waterfront Park, then through a working marina, oops another craft brewery, the Black Kettle, and so on.  Recently we have Lime Grove bike rentals everywhere, but there is a bike shop right in the shipyards that offers higher end bikes.  I won't go on but will try do a North Shore post very soon. Hailing from Edgemont Village, yes we are Village People.

• Like 1

Any suggestions for an inexpensive but decent hotel near the airport? Say $100 per night?  Have sailed out of Vancouver many times so not interested in being Downtown and want to save some $$. This is for June 2022

There are various hotels in Richmond BC about 3 miles from the airport that fall in this category.  They are decent and clean, not bad if you are just looking for a place to stay.  Only warning is that there are a few sport complexes in this area and sometimes they can be overrun by numerous teams

21 hours ago, DougH said:

Any suggestions for an inexpensive but decent hotel near the airport? Say $100 per night?

$100 a night is low for most major cities and who knows where rates will be 9 months from now.

That said, check the Days Inn, Quality Inn and Sandman.

• 1 month later...

Not much in downtown Vancouver for less than $300 Canadian (240-ish US) but sometimes the Coast Coal Harbour and Pinnacle Hotel (not the Marriott by same name) have cheaper prices, depending on dates. Both hotels are nice and clean.

In Richmond, close to airport with shuttles ar ound $100 Cad plus tax include  Days Inn, Accent Inn, Sandman and Hampton.

On 11/11/2021 at 8:59 PM, dawnvip said:

Not much in downtown Vancouver for less than $300 Canadian (240-ish US) but sometimes the Coast Coal Harbour and Pinnacle Hotel (not the Marriott by same name) have cheaper prices, depending on dates. Both hotels are nice and clean.

Are the Sylvia and Best Western Plus Sands not considered Downtown?

On 11/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, scottca075 said:

Are the Sylvia and Best Western Plus Sands not considered Downtown?

Maybe semantics, but I consider the Sylvia to be in the West End rather than downtown. Technically though, I think you're right as both hotels are west of Abbott street, south of the harbour and north of Beach Ave (false creek).