The Daily for Monday October 04, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Golf Day, National Frappe Day, and Child Health Day

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out. - Richard Dawkins"

Meal suggestion for today - New England clam chowder

Drink of the Day - Batida (traditionally made with cachaça)

Wine of the day - Framingham 2019 Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough) New Zealand

Destination of the Day - Mykonos Greece

Ships with Passengers

At Sea destination Avalon
Nieuw Amsterdam

Zadar, Coratia
Eurodam 13:00 - 21:00

Ships without Passengers

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

San Diego
Koningsdam

Scheveningen
Rotterdam Anchorage

1004World.thumb.png.4e728c0d3c9fc390f403547a9e1ae72d.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on both the Frappe and the Chowder.  I stink at golf; major problem is standing too close to the ball, especially AFTER I hit it.  Child health needs a day in these challenging times.  The Dawkins quote is interesting.  I've had limited experience in Greece and not Mykonos.  I have a feeling when Koningsdam leaves San Diego she will have passengers but not revenue cruise as the rumor I've heard is there will be a test cruise.  My alternate menu suggestion is Chilled Cranberry Soup, Basil Crusted Veal Rack, and Ricota Raspberry Tart as served on MS Amsterdam October 4, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes04.jpg

Today’s care list:

Kakalina
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Allen having MOHS surgery
smitty34877 DDIL testing positive
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruising-along on Eurodam
Welcome home Jajmd
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Sea Viewer at sea
3 days for Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy and NextOne
6 days for Sharon, lazey1 and Koningsdam
Mr Boston on Cape Cod
Sharon with her mom
Welcome home JAM37
Great family gathering for Mamaofami and Sam
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

It is 50°F and raining.

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

I miss my golf but Arthritis in my hips and knees prevents me now from playing.

Child health is important.

Frappe is nice.

Good quote.

I will miss the food and drink but today's Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand is nice.

Mykonos town is lovely and where Shirley Valentine was filmed.

We are at a shopping outlet and will be going for lunch soon.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Take care and have a nice day everyone.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211004_114551.jpg

16333447446487583668684886832435.jpg

• Like 33

Good morning.  Thank you for the Daily Report.

Temperatures are still nice and mild here, but we have rain in the forecast. 

I haven't played golf in years.  I'll pass on the Frappe.  I hope for good health for children all over the world.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good.

I don't know about the drink, I'll wait and see the recipe.  I'm sure the wine is tasty.

We've never been to Mykonos, it was on the itinerary of our cancelled cruise.  Oh well, maybe in a year or two.  Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

It's Monday, hope it's going to be a good week.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good morning all - checking in, lots to catch up on.  It's been a very busy few days...and the next few will be as well.  

Thinking of all who need care and sharing the joy with those who are celebrating.

• Like 23

Good Monday morning.  Used to play golf alot, not so much anymore. Love Frappe's and child Health day should be everyday.

Interesting quote.  And I LOVE the meal of the day.  Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers and toast to our lists, and to the rest of us.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Batida:

Batida is a Brazilian cocktail, and is one of several Brazilian cocktails that are made with the national alcoholic drink cachaça. In Portuguese batida means shaken or milkshake, and the word also means a crash, usually used when referring to a car crash. This beverage is made with cachaça, fruit juice, and sugar. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Cachaça
Ingredients: 1 part fruit juice, 1 tbsp sugar, 2 parts Cachaça
Preparation: Mix and pour into chilled glass.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Drinkware: Zombie glass

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 7.20.03 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

DH and I plan to take golf lessons and play now and then in our community. Frappes are a nice treat once in a while. The health of our children world wide is so very important and something I pray for at least daily.

I haven't had New England Clam Chowder in a long time. Maybe I'll have a cup next time we go to a seafood restaurant.

Richard Dawson was unique and could be quite funny.

I don't think this qualifies as the appliance gremlin, but once we got home and settled yesterday DH turned on the TV to catch the end of the late games and to our surprise...no picture. We figured out the backlight has failed and he will call this morning as it is still under warranty. We are just hoping they don't expect the tv to be sent to them.

We will get back to work on our renovation projects today after we talk about what has to be done by Thanksgiving week.

Wishing everyone a Marvelous Monday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 29

9 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Richard Dawson was unique and could be quite funny.

Richard Dawkins is a British evolutionary biologist and author. He is an emeritus fellow of New College, Oxford and was Professor for Public Understanding of Science in the University of Oxford from 1995 to 2008. An atheist, he is well known for his criticism of creationism and intelligent design.Wikipedia

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, everyone!

Golf and me?   Not a good combination.   I'll skip the frappe and concentrate on child health.  I'm going for x-rays of my right him and lumbar region of the back today, just to make sure there isn't something else going on in there.  Then, to the pool.

Today's meal is great on a cold, blustery day.   Keep this one in the recipe file!.

Yankee magazine offers us a traditional recipe using fresh clams.   https://newengland.com/today/food/massachusetts-new-england-clam-chowder/

New_England_Clam_Chowder-e1427912464850.thumb.jpg.1dc0081473821ea935efa787a4d5d3a3.jpg

This next recipe uses canned clams which are more available to the majority of us.  It also gives directions to make it in a slow cooker if you desire.   And, there are tips on variations and storage of leftovers.   https://www.culinaryhill.com/new-england-clam-chowder-recipe/

New-England-Clam-Chowder-Recipe-Culinary-Hill-LR-07.thumb.jpg.8eac37d9db79a96562e662032c350578.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Monday everyone!

Looking forward to photos of Mykonos as we are scheduled to visit there this time next Fall.

• Like 23

Today's sunrise is from my 2012 short cruise out of  Montreal on the Crystal Symphony.  On October we were scheduled to visit St. Pierre but were unable to tender in and it became a sea day.

dawn1004.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Well another gremlin day for me. Back to using my phone to post. 🤬 Thank you Rich, Roy, Summer & Debbie! Trying another gym class today. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to the celebrants! Stay well everyone!

Framingham 2019 Sauvignon Blanc 

Grab this & run white wine lovers. After paying, of course. Available locally and online with a low price of $14.99.  I love the “seen a bit of skin contact”. Ah the visual. 😎

Winemaker Notes

#8 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is famous for packing a bit of a punch. But our take on this all-time classic has hidden depths. There’s a complex soul beneath that savage bravado. Ripe Wairau Valley fruit, a touch of fermentation on the skins, and a quick tour inside oak and acacia barrels has added layers of flavor and texture. This is one wine that won’t give it all away on the first sip.

WE93 Wine Enthusiast: This Sauvignon sees a bit of skin contact and a short time in oak. The result is a highly aromatic nose that’s unmistakably Marlborough but with individuality. There are aromas of gooseberry, pineapple rind, lime, black currant and grass, with a flicker of toasty oak at the back. The mouthfeel deftly balances a creamy texture with zippy acidity. There’s fresh lime and a saline edge to the finish. A food-friendly bottling, this could handle a wide range of richer dishes. Editors' Choice.
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

We were in Mykonos in 2013 on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

It is very peaceful during the day but Mykonos is renowned for its nightlife for anyone who holidays there.

There was a pelican in the old town that was reputed to be the oldest in the world.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211004_131323.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_131242.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_131208.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_130807.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_130737.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_130704.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_130555.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on both the Frappe and the Chowder.  I stink at golf; major problem is standing too close to the ball, especially AFTER I hit it.  Child health needs a day in these challenging times.  The Dawkins quote is interesting.  I've had limited experience in Greece and not Mykonos.  I have a feeling when Koningsdam leaves San Diego she will have passengers but not revenue cruise as the rumor I've heard is there will be a test cruise.  My alternate menu suggestion is Chilled Cranberry Soup, Basil Crusted Veal Rack, and Ricota Raspberry Tart as served on MS Amsterdam October 4, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes04.jpg

Today’s care list:

Kakalina
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Allen having MOHS surgery
smitty34877 DDIL testing positive
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruising-along on Eurodam
Welcome home Jajmd
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Sea Viewer at sea
3 days for Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy and NextOne
6 days for Sharon, lazey1 and Koningsdam
Mr Boston on Cape Cod
Sharon with her mom
Welcome home JAM37
Great family gathering for Mamaofami and Sam
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for the lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from a rainy, gray Provincetown (still beats going to work) and thank-you Rich for the daily report.  No golfing here in the rain today, a frappe sounds like a nice alternative though.  Child Health Day is very important.  Thought provoking quote today or not, if my brain drops out!  I had a delicious clam chowder yesterday at The Lobster Pot and I may just do so again today.  I haven’t been to today’s port and can’t wait for the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event!

• Like 29

53 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

Golf and me?   Not a good combination.   I'll skip the frappe and concentrate on child health.  I'm going for x-rays of my right him and lumbar region of the back today, just to make sure there isn't something else going on in there.  Then, to the pool.

Today's meal is great on a cold, blustery day.   Keep this one in the recipe file!.

Yankee magazine offers us a traditional recipe using fresh clams.   https://newengland.com/today/food/massachusetts-new-england-clam-chowder/

New_England_Clam_Chowder-e1427912464850.thumb.jpg.1dc0081473821ea935efa787a4d5d3a3.jpg

This next recipe uses canned clams which are more available to the majority of us.  It also gives directions to make it in a slow cooker if you desire.   And, there are tips on variations and storage of leftovers.   https://www.culinaryhill.com/new-england-clam-chowder-recipe/

New-England-Clam-Chowder-Recipe-Culinary-Hill-LR-07.thumb.jpg.8eac37d9db79a96562e662032c350578.jpg

Best wishes for your check up today Debbie.

Thanks for your gorgeous food pictures every day.

Graham.

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We were in Mykonos in 2013 on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

It is very peaceful during the day but Mykonos is renowned for its nightlife for anyone who holidays there.

There was a pelican in the old town that was reputed to be the oldest in the world.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211004_131323.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_131242.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_131208.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_130807.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_130737.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_130704.jpg

Screenshot_20211004_130555.jpg

And the name of the pelican was: Peter the Pelican..

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone. I have solved the CC issue by searching first for CC Holland America forum and then signing in from there instead of the apron my ipad.

Yesterday was a number ten day for Sam and me. We had a visit from two grandsons who are two months apart in age and love playing a game called Magic The Gathering which they played for most,of the afternoon. They were accompanied by two of our children and our son in law. We spent a lot of time outside until we were bitten up by mosquitoes and then had dinner and birthday cake inside. The day could not have been more perfect. It ended with our friends bringing home some deli sandwiches and the fixings for Sam to have today.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 34