Number of Formal Nights

Cruisemeister2002

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Hi everyone. I should know this. But how many formal nights on a 35 Night P&O cruise. Think it's 6 or 7. But due to changes especially on Iona I wondered if all P&O ships were reducing Formal nights.

We have taken several 35 night cruises and formals have ranged from 7 to 9. We have had a few where the formals were swapped around due to rough seas or itinerary change. We have found that most of the formals have been on the sea days while crossing the Atlantic, which makes sense really albeit sometimes we seemed to be having a formal every other day during the crossings.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

which makes sense really albeit sometimes we seemed to be having a formal every other day during the crossings.

We experienced that as well. Having them so close together means they lose the "exclusivity" factor,  and in the end we only went to every other one. 

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Hi everyone. I should know this. But how many formal nights on a 35 Night P&O cruise. Think it's 6 or 7. But due to changes especially on Iona I wondered if all P&O ships were reducing Formal nights.

No reduction I can see, we have 2, 11 night cruises on Ventura with 3 formal nights on each. So still 2 per week.

Last years 35 night cruise had 9/10, so again 2 per week.

On 10/4/2021 at 3:17 PM, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Thanks everyone. Still not sure as obviously the amount depends on sailing days, weather and shore days. The cruise that we are on will be 6 days sailing out, 6 days sailing back, then a further 3 days + between 1 and 2 days between some ports. A total of 20 sailing days and 15 port days.

13 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Thanks everyone. Still not sure as obviously the amount depends on sailing days, weather and shore days. The cruise that we are on will be 6 days sailing out, 6 days sailing back, then a further 3 days + between 1 and 2 days between some ports. A total of 20 sailing days and 15 port days.

In 2020 there were 9/10 when we were on this cruise.

24 minutes ago, daiB said:

In 2020 there were 9/10 when we were on this cruise.

But most passengers get bored with them, and tend to skip at least 30%. Curry, Asian or Thai night in the buffet, or the Glass House are good alternatives

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But most passengers get bored with them, and tend to skip at least 30%. Curry, Asian or Thai night in the buffet, or the Glass House are good alternatives

Definitely overkill when you get to 9 or 10, especially when they are squeezed into every other night, so as to hit the "quota". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Definitely overkill when you get to 9 or 10, especially when they are squeezed into every other night, so as to hit the "quota". 

The cruise was 35 nights, hardly overkill.

59 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Have you been on a world cruise wowzz ?

No, and have no wish whatsoever to do one.

My comnents were based on a 25 day Caribbean round trip, where all the formal nights were squeezed into the first and last weeks. 

When I was laid up after being in hospital I daydreamed about a world cruise and the one I looked at had 27 formal nights on a 99 night cruise so I was trying to decide if I could wear 3 long frocks 9 times or 9 frocks 3 times each, then I got better and back to work and the real world 😉😜😂😂😂

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

When I was laid up after being in hospital I daydreamed about a world cruise and the one I looked at had 27 formal nights on a 99 night cruise so I was trying to decide if I could wear 3 long frocks 9 times or 9 frocks 3 times each, then I got better and back to work and the real world 😉😜😂😂😂

At least as a bloke, I would only need to have my dress shirt washed 9 times !

• Haha 1