SB fall cruises in Canada: good for photographers??

Catlover54

Question for serious photographers ( e.g., Fletcher and others): Do you think this "Canadian Autumn" cruise route

would provide decent opportunities for interesting photography, or is it more likely to just be gray landscapes, cold, and wind with nothing much to see within distance of the ports  ( especially if we still have to do only SB excursions then, due to Covid)?

Maybe photography-wise, it would be better to drive the route?

I cruised on another line in April a couple years ago and enjoyed Bar Harbor, Quebec City, and Montreal.

392B1D88-578A-400D-895A-0770983AF5C0.jpeg

We've been on several fall cruises, and the best color we've seen has been in Sydney on tours of Cabot Trail. I see that neither itinerary you are considering has Sydney on the itinerary though.

Touring Cabot's Trail in Nova Scotia-5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My husband and I did the 12-day cruise in and out of Montreal in 2019, for that same date range.  There were some areas (particularly around Quebec City) that had lovely fall foliage colors.  But otherwise, I felt like we were about 1 week early for the best color.  I think the date range for the best colors can really vary year to year, so you just book and take your chances.  On the ship, there were days in the narrower parts of the St. Lawrence where you would be able to see the foliage if you catch the timing right.  Once you get out into the Atlantic, no so much.

Hi Catlover,

There is so much to cover here with you post/question, so bear with me for a longer reply.  Thanks for posting.  Firstly, I am not a serious photographer, and I generally find that beauty in photographs can be found anywhere. Ones personal “eye” will often be different than others, so I will leave the photog experts to reply. 

I can offer some thoughts on the Atlantic Canadian region.  We have spent much of the pandemic in Nova Scotia away from from our city home in central Canada.  We also own property in Prince Edward Island and spend the summers there.  For a cruise to Atlantic Canada, you first need to decide…do I want to see “fall colours” or do I want to see the region in warmer weather when everything is green?  Both are beautiful. Also, Newfoundland is very different than the Canadian Maritimes (NS, NB, PEI) in both topography as well as weather.

For fall colours in Nova Scotia…it’s depends.  For ex, last year was very dry and hot, which meant the leaves on the trees were dry, fell early (due to hurricane) and had little colour .  So not a great year for fall colour.  This year is less dry, and right now we probably have 10-20% colour.  Into to the Highlands on the Cape Breton Cabot Trail is probably approx 30% colour right now.  General rule is that fall colours ramp up around Canadian Thanksgiving (always the 2nd Monday of Oct). 

I am surprised the Seabourn itineraries for these cruise are so boring (IMO).  It’s nice that there is a Prince Edward Island stop, but it is a total miss on Seabourn’s part to sail around NS and not stop in Cape Breton where you have the Cabot Trail, Fortress Louisburg and beautiful scenery (great for photographers).

Without the fall colours, I never understood why cruise lines don’t do more intensive itineraries in Atlantic Canada over the summer/early fall period. In the current Covid environment, we have high vac rates and can count our infrequent outbreaks on one, maybe two hands…so it’s a much safer environment for cruising.  

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Catlover . . . I can't do better than Sunprince above.  I've not seen the Fall spectacular in this area but I always reckoned it was a road trip, basing yourself in a couple of hotels and waiting for the right light, the right time of day, the right reflection and colour.  I think some of these lodges are linked to a 'Fall Watch' system in the same way that safari lodges know where the lions are.  Cruises in this regard are pretty inflexible.  Our only cruise in this area was mainly to see Greenland so we were too early for the colours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There is basically zero autumn foliage in the US from New York to Maine (Bar Harbor) in late August & early September.  Even the most Northern mountainous areas in NY & Vermont peak is in late September.  Early October is really peak season and Northern NY & Vermont are the best place to see them.  Even if it were peak season NYC, Newport and Boston are poor launching points.

There are many high quality resorts in Northern NY & Vermont to see the trees change.  They are approximately 4 -5 hrs from NYC & Boston.  Fletcher is correct in that "tree" season is in high demand but these resorts also specialize in Skiing and summer vacations.  If it were me I'd go to Vermont or Upstate NY prior to the Oct 16 cruise leaving from NYC and concentrate on Lobsters on the cruise.  If you catch the tree changes correctly in Vermont it is absolutely spectacular.

The week prior to Labor Day Sept 5 is probably the second biggest vacation week in NYC behind Christmas.  Looks like the Seabourn cruise arrives in NYC Sept 10 so everyone (chefs) should be back and you could probably take in the Tennis US Open Mens final if you can get a ticket.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/whenandwhere/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the early cruise will not include any fall foliage, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good photo experience.  The second cruise may be a better shot at color but be prepared for brisk temperatures.  We live in Newport RI in the summer (still here now) and it is damp and chilly.  That would probably limit your on deck experience

Driving sounds nice but there are some very long distances without any real direct routes from A to B.  We took a ferry from Portland Maine to Yarmouth about 10 years ago.  Drove through Nova Scotia for a few days.  Very pretty but there are a whole lot of towns and roads that are very similar and gets a little boring unless you love to drive .  VT and NH are easier drives as town to town distances are closer.  Once you start driving in the woods a=of Maine and Canada then it is a different game 

There is no way to tell when the fall foliage is prime time until a few weeks before.  Pricing for that time frame in hotels can be expensive and hard to find.  If you like the itinerary on SB then go for it

• Like 1

The NY State Thruway goes from Albany NY to NYC, it can get very chaotic around NYC.  If driving isn't your thing one could easily fly into Albany NY, rent a car, and then fly from Albany to NYC.  Considering you were looking at a cruise labeled "...New England Fall Foliage" I made the leap of faith that you were interested in the foliage.

These are a couple popular hotels in upstate NY & Vermont to see the foliage.  Manchester VT is also a good location with nice accommodations.  Maybe stop in Saratoga Springs and Lake George on the way.

https://www.lakeplacidlodge.com/

https://www.pitcherinn.com/

We vacationed in the summer in Weekapaug & Watch Hill RI often when we lived in NYC.  I would describe the summer weather more as refreshing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a very serious photographer, but I definitely enjoy taking pictures.  

I took the round-trip itinerary around Newfoundland in 2018.  Loved it, and I thought there were wonderful opportunities for photography, in all the ports.

As for leaf-peeping, that's a crap shoot.  Living in the midst of leaf-peeping territory, it's always very hard to judge when the timing is right.  In the case of our cruise, I saw a really nice foliage display in Trois Rivieres and some in Quebec City, but that was about it.  The north shore further down the river, and the Magdelan Islands are not colourful in that way, but very beautiful nonetheless.

St. John's, Nfld is particularly photogenic, btw.

• Thanks 1