So...Windows 11?

pierces

On 12/29/2021 at 7:38 AM, PaulMCO said:

Horrible UI. 

...  So what so they do when windows 11 comes out -- same. Cannot have multiple instances open on the taskbar.  Makes productivity suck having to hope and look for the instance you want.

Hover on the taskbar icon (shows as a stack when multiple instances are open) and the instances are displayed with fairly large representations of the open instances along with the document titles. You can then click on the one you want .

image.png.246df8514daadabb1f0549a86b2d613c.png

Alt+Tab also allows for a quick overview of all open programs as long as you hold the Alt button down. You can press tab any number of times to move the focus to the instance you want while holding Alt down. Release Alt when you have the one you want highlighted. If you are switching repeatedly between two instances or programs, you can simply Alt+Tab quickly as it will return by default to the last one accessed

image.thumb.png.2b0a0f0e81976b206503049a4eb70b9b.png

I find is much easier than reading a bunch of clipped titles on taskbar icons.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pierces said:

Hover on the taskbar icon (shows as a stack when multiple instances are open) and the instances are displayed with fairly large representations of the open instances along with the document titles. You can then click on the one you want .

image.png.246df8514daadabb1f0549a86b2d613c.png

Alt+Tab also allows for a quick overview of all open programs as long as you hold the Alt button down. You can press tab any number of times to move the focus to the instance you want while holding Alt down. Release Alt when you have the one you want highlighted. If you are switching repeatedly between two instances or programs, you can simply Alt+Tab quickly as it will return by default to the last one accessed

image.thumb.png.2b0a0f0e81976b206503049a4eb70b9b.png

I find is much easier than reading a bunch of clipped titles on taskbar icons.

Dave

Thanks anyway but You may --  I don't.  MS removed the option that was in W10.  Already have modified the registry to give me back my Windows 10 Start Menu and using StartAllBack plug in to get my task bar icons back..  

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Thanks anyway but You may --  I don't.  MS removed the option that was in W10.  Already have modified the registry to give me back my Windows 10 Start Menu and using StartAllBack plug in to get my task bar icons back..  

No worries...to each their own! Hopping from version to version and back again on customer's machines since Win 3.0 has me immune to interface changes. I have a friend that has skinned his Win11 machine to look like WinXP, complete with the "Bliss" green hills wallpaper. Heck, I still know a few people who like MACs! 🙂

Dave

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Microsoft pushed the Windows 11 update to my desktop PC yesterday and since I have been using Windows 11 on my laptop, I accepted it. Some notes:

• Several program icons disappeared from my Start Menu but available if I search.  Still working to figure out a fix.
  • Response times are definitely faster and especially for Adobe products I use for photography editing.
  • The multiple windows options with two monitors will be a learning experience.
  • The installation did not replace my Win 10 background with the Windows 11 flower-like blue one as it did on my laptop.
  • Privacy tools were not turned back on.
  • Edge did not become my default browser as it did with my laptop update several months ago.
  • Looking forward to trying out a few Android apps in the coming days.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to chime in on the Windows 11 discussion. I get where you're coming from, PaulMCO, the UI changes can take some getting used to. But fear not, there are ways to handle multiple instances on the taskbar! First off, hovering on the taskbar icon reveals those stacked instances with document titles. It's quite handy, actually. Another trick is using Alt+Tab, which gives you a quick overview of all open programs while holding Alt. You can then press Tab to switch between instances and release Alt when you find the one you want. It's smooth once you get the hang of it!