San Juan evening excursion- celebrity edge

arendezvous5

Hi! I’ll be on board celebrity edge, stopping in San Juan PR on Dec 14 2021. Arrives 4:30pm to 11pm.  Celebrity only offers 2 excursions, I assume because of the late arrival - a zip line adventure and an evening scenic ride.  Has anyone arrived in the evening and any recommendations on any third party excursions? Or if it is even a good idea to book a third party company given the circumstances/restrictions with COVID? It looks like The historic sites close early?  Thanks!

Yes, you'll miss the forts.  Is Celebrity even allowing passengers off the ship without a ship excursion?

What's included in the evening ride?  If that's the bioluminescent bay kayak or boat excursion, well worth it.

If you can get off without a ship excursion, look at some of the fabulous night life in Old San Juan.  Flamenco dancing, salsa, get restaurants and bars.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Yes, you'll miss the forts.  Is Celebrity even allowing passengers off the ship without a ship excursion?

What's included in the evening ride?  If that's the bioluminescent bay kayak or boat excursion, well worth it.

If you can get off without a ship excursion, look at some of the fabulous night life in Old San Juan.  Flamenco dancing, salsa, get restaurants and bars.

Thank you for the tips!
Celebrity website doesn’t say that we need a ship excursion to get off in San Juan but not sure, things always change. No kayak or boat in the evening ride, this is the description:

Some cities light up at night. And San Juan does just that. Discover San Juan during the evening hours and take a scenic drive through its gorgeous streets, stopping at its most soughtafter attractions. Sights you'll pass include Fifth Centenary Square, San Jose Church (a 16th century gothic church), the San Juan Cathedral, and El Morro Castle. Take photos. Relax. Enjoy the scenery. See how both Old and New San Juan light up your evening.

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping some recent cruisers who have arrived after 4pm can weigh in on suggestions based on their recent sailing.

We are due to arrive 4pm and not sure if there will be enough time to head to a beach for a couple of hours? Celebrity Edge excursions are still showing only zip line and city tours. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 9:51 AM, crewsweeper said:

I love the idea of seeing some authentic Flamenco or steamy salsa, any recommendations where we could go?  Bonus if there's good food on offer too.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

I had been booked for the Edge leaving this weekend, but cancelled.  I had done my research however.

The times for this port call stink.  The Edge arrives too late for a trip to El Junque (for Viator’s Rainforest Zipline in the El Yunque Foothills from San Juan, the last pickup is 3:00 p.m., so we cannot make it), or for a Bacardi Rum Factory Tour (no Tuesday tours anyway). 

El Morro and San Cristobal will both be closed before you can get there. 

The Rio Cumay Caves are not open on Tuesday, and close at 5:00 p.m. on the days it is open, so this won't work.

Viator offers a San Juan Catamaran Sunset Sail.  5:00 p.m. departure, for two hours.  If the arrival time were still 3:30, this might work, but the arrival has been pushed back and I doubt a 5:00 p.m. excursion will work.  If you want to risk missing it, this sounds like a good tour.

The ship's  “Twilight Zipline Canopy Tour”  (Pages 10 - 11 of Brochure) is probably the best bet for San Juan.

Or you can do a self-guided walking tour and enjoy a nice dinner.

• 4 months later...

Hi - we're on the Celebrity Equinox in early July and will be in port from 4-11 pm as others have mentioned.  We're going to do a walking tour but would love a couple recommendations for dinner and maybe something afterward to hear live music or dancing?  Any other suggestions?  

Thank you!