Transportation Help Frankfurt to Nuremberg to Ship Dock

a1m1y9

Hi All!

Hubby and I like the "experience" of it all and not afraid to drag luggage a few blocks to get to our destination.  We hope someone on here has done what we are thinking is possible.  Love to hear experiences if you have traveled from Frankfurt Main Train Station to Nuremberg Main Train Station and then to river cruise dock.  I read an article some time ago on Europeforvisitors that said there is a bus stop up the hill from the ship dock.    

Our thought is travel by train from Fankfurt to Nuremberg.  Arrive Nuremberg Hauptbahnhof and buy a ticket to Preisstufe A.  Grab the train to Langwasser Süd. Then get off at Frankenstrasse.Transfer to Bus 67 in the direction of Fürth Hbf, Get off the bus at Rotterdamer Strasse and then take a stroll to the cruise docks.  

Or.......just take a taxi from Nuremberg Hauptbahnof to the cruise docks.  As I type the above, I am thinking...hmm think someone is getting lost!  

Love to hear experiences if you have gone the train to bus and hiked to the docks. 

Also, assuming if we go the taxi route we can get off at the Hauptbahnof and grab a taxi fairly easy to the cruise docks?  Cost?  

Thanks All!  

We have about 6 weeks to go and I think this is finally going to happen for us.

We took the train from Munich to Neuremburg.  Was looking for the bus to go to the port when the kind person in the tourist office said just cross the street and take a taxi from the taxi stand.  It wasn't expensive.  I can't remember the exact cost.  It was a complicated route and I was glad I wasn't trying to find it.

• Like 2

a1m1yr,

Your plan could work if you are able to coordinate the timing of your transfer points in Nuremberg and are willing to spend time waiting for each train, tram, or bus. We have stayed in Nuremberg for a few days pre cruise twice.  First time thought we could take local transit, but the person at the front desk of our hotel suggested a cab was the better option . 

A taxi to the ship was less than €20. The local drivers know exactly where to go and take you right to the dock. No need to walk from the bridge down and around to the dock.

Have a great trip,

RB 

• Like 1

Get the DB App (it's also in English).  You can take an ICE train (fast minimal stops) or regional train (the red one) from the airport.  It will give you the pricing.  You may consider going from Frankfurt and spend a night in Wurzburg, and then about 1 hour or less to Nurnberg.  Have fun!

• Like 1

You got it perfectly ... ICE train from Frankfurt airport or central station to Nuremberg central station. There you need the Ticket Preisstufe A and take the subway U1 (direction Langwasser Sued) to Eibach/Hafenstrasse and then change to bus 67 (direction Frankenstrasse) and exit at Rotterdamer Strasse. Then you have to drag your bags across the bridge and down to the canal where the boats are.

But I also highly suggest to take a taxi from Nuremberg central station. You never know exactly where the ship is docked. And it´s more comfortable with bags to take a taxi.

I´ve took the bus/subway to downtown Nuremberg during a shore stop in Nuremberg. It takes app. 20 min.

Are you staying overnight in Frankfurt? For especially when you fly in the same morning you might be pretty tired after the TA flight and then take the train for two hours plus subway/bus...

steamboats

who has taken Metrolink from Eads Bridge to the Airport several times with bags.

• Like 1

We took the bus back to the ship from the Zepplin Field Document Center area and I think it’s the same route as mentioned. The navigation was straight forward but I wouldn’t want to schlepp luggage down the hill. I assume you would also need to do stairs for the UBahn. 

• Like 1